close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Conyers self-assement thread

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by BamaTrooper, Sep 27, 2011.

1. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

So if you shot, how did you do? Did you meet your goals?

I noticed that when the targets were partly in sun and partly in shade, that the transition caused me to put my shots a little left and I picked up around 4 points on the smae target no matter which gun I shot.

Scorewise, I managed to snap my 54-55 score and dropped one category to a 53:upeyes:.

I made it to the second round of the Gunny Challenge, so that was an improvement from last year. Maybe I can get back there and do better next year.

2. FillYerHands

FillYerHands you son of a

I slowed down some to avoid mikes and that worked. I found I missed some far targets because I wasn't taking the time for a good sight picture. I figure taking an extra second to align sights saves 9 seconds, 6 at worst.

Having said that, after the Gunny match I should have gone to a safe area and dry fired a little before I shot 5 to Glock. The far target did its usual Matrix routine and avoided some of my bullets.

So, I need more work on far targets, but I shot to goal otherwise.

3. jdh31313

jdh31313

I shot a lot better this year. I slowed down a bit and thus improved my score significantly. My best event was 5 to Glock. I messed up on Glock 'M with one miss on target 4 which of course added the 10 second penalty. At Glock the Plates, I averaged 7 second runs on the plates with no missed shots.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

I was very disappointed in my scores. I've been in the mid-low 60s as of late, and shot a 78 at Conyers. I had multiple D hits on some of the far targets. My current goal is to break 60 at a match, and I didn't come anywhere close. The only stage in which I was relatively happy was the plates.

5. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

I was happy with my scores....I improved a great deal in less than a month since Columbia, SC

My goal at Summerville, SC, if it's a go, is to bring my scores all down to 200.00 or below.

and, then we'll go from there.

I have about another month before Summerville, SC....

And, when I'm there, I have to remember to slow down, I did at Conyers, GA but I also got fustrated at times. I had a perfect run on the plates my first two mags on Sub, then I completely blew it and left 5 and 4 plates during my 3d and 4th Sub run....So, I need to slow down and do better during my 3rd and 4th run of the plates.

Also, in Conyers doing the 5 to Clock, Uncle Bill told me after my last division run I wasn't standing right....I was at the 5 to Clock where all the targets were on my right, and I was standing straight ahead....I didn't think it through, before Uncle Bob mentioned it to me.
    Greg

6. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

Plates hurt me in Dawsonville, going about 3-4 seconds slower than normal and that was enough to take me out of the running there. This time, my plates were better and I had one category that was really good on the plates.

7. VOLGRAD

VOLGRAD

I wasn't please with my performance at Conyers. My scores were 98.xx and 101.xx in Comp and Civ, respectively. I blame the 101.xx on having a Mike on the farthest target in 5 to GLOCK. I broke the shot early and knew it instantly. To put this in perspective I shot a pair of scores in the 80s at each of the last couple of matches this year.

What I blame;
    1. Shooting a different pistol than normal, although setup pretty similar.
    2. Spending 4 hours at the Hop Harvest Festival at Terrapin Brewery in Athens on Saturday. (This is prob the biggest reason for my poor scores.)

8. rpgman

rpgman SCGLOCK

yea, it's gotta be number 2.
    That would do it for me too, lol:cheers:

9. BrazosCoTX

BrazosCoTX

As I indicated in another thread, I broke 100 for the first time in AmCiv, so that made my weekend. Shot 116.xx in Comp -- maybe my fifth best total ever, so all in all, a good weekend for me (except for Texas A&M losing on Saturday to Oklahoma State :crying:)

I had only 7 penalty points in AmCiv, which means only one thing -- I am slowwww. If I want to improve, I gotta get faster and not lose any accuracy. That's what's keeping me out of the top 10% -- my times, especially on the plates, are way slower than the "big dogs". Cure for that is practice.

BTW -- hats off to the "big dogs". Great scores are the result of practice and skill. Congrats to those who finished in the guns and money. GSSF is merit based. I will always have fun in the current set-up, and the improvement in my scores, as incremental as it may be, is motivation to keep coming back.

One thing that has helped me -- shooting GSSF indoor every month.

Trying to get a team together for San Antonio.

10. Chris North

Chris North

How did I shoot...

My goal was to break 100. Off hand I don't remember my times from last month at SC, but shooting slower ... Less penalties I could do it.

But I came up short. 101.55-CIV and 121.89-COMP. I did have two misses in COMP ... So remove the misses and I had very consistent runs.

I did shoot COMP as a warm up, not sure if it matters which I shoot first as long as I do the same thing all day.

11. Melissa5

Melissa5

Well, this was my first competition, so I was happy to just finally do it. I had one clean run in the plates that I was pleased with. I didn't do anything stupid and embarrass myself. I learned that I need to slow down and work on accuracy on the longer targets. Most of all, I had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

12. legacy38

legacy38 Millennium Member

I don't have my score sheets available at the moment to get all of my plate runs, but I had one that was a 2.72 run. I think two of the others were under 4 and one was just above it.

13. triggerjerker

triggerjerker

Plate rack runs should be averaged. A sub 3 run doen't mean much if backed up by a 5 second run or even worse leave a plate. :crying:

14. ede

ede Bama's Friend

i did OK, better than I thought, but not near as good as I have done. I used Conyers for a little R&D, mostly I tried my glasses I had made 3-4 years ago again to see if I liked them any better. I was able to see the sights, and targets much more clearly. One problem was since I was now seeing so much I was looking at holes appear in some targets I can't normally see and generally looking around while I was shooting. I think on paper the glasses worked much better and mostly my scores and times reflect that. On the steel I don't think they helped and actually hurt, also not for use with a dot.

15. frankt

frankt

I have not totaled up my scores yet but overall I did fairly well considering.

Considering I don't have a plate rack to practice on and I spent only one session shooting the two Glocks I used at the match, I can't really complain.
    I left one plate standing after 7 rounds in HM and I am mad at myself for that.

16. BamaTrooper

BamaTrooper Retired

I looked at my sheets and my best plate stage was 12 seconds. Others were probably 14-15ish.

17. triggerjerker

triggerjerker

Plate rack times are not as important as everyone wants to believe. The difference between four 3 and 5 second runs total 8 seconds. 3 D's and you are father behind. You can lose the match on the plates but you win it on the paper.

18. knightgator

knightgator

I plan to do a few things differently next match but after looking back I had a few accomplishments:

1) Shaved 50 secs off my first match at Dawsonville...310ish down to 258.
    2) Actually had one plate string just over 9 secs in my morning Master entry...which was supposed to be a warmup.
    3) Met the gunny...been a fan since Full Metal Jacket came out.

Met many more nice people and a few Glock Talkers to boot.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  19. pochis

pochis

this thread is a good one to me, it needs to be ask after every match.

20. JTSmith

JTSmith Œgfdrïńëçł

I shot my first ever match back in July in Dawsonville and ended up with a 107 in Civ and a 114 in Sub. So I really thought I had a reasonable shot at breaking 100, at least in Civ. Well, I ended up with a 119.9 in Civ and um, well something near 200 in sub. Don't know what happened there:scratchead: But honestly, I actually feel good about how I shot in Civ. I know that the 3 courses always have the same name, but the only consistent thing is the plate rack. I personally had to take a LOT longer on 5 to Glock at Conyers because the last two targets seemed farther than anything at the Dawsonville match.

Maybe I'm just too much of a newb to know any better, but it seems like it may be kinda hard to compare times between two different courses. I'm sure the fast guys are consistently fast, no matter where they are or what the layout is.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011