Convinced to get the Shield over the 43... but wth?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Cpt.America, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

So between the wife and me, we are planning on consolidating our single stack sub compacts to the same platform. Right now she has a 938, and i use a walther pps. She can't really operate the pps mag release, and she is no longer in favor of the manual safety on the 938.

Anyway, watching a dozen or more comparison videos out there between the 9mm shield and the 43, the vast majority say the shield is just the superior firearm, and is cheaper. I had preliminarily made my mind to get the shields (pending me and the misses handling them first), but I went to the LGS this weekend to do a transfer with my buddy, and had them take out the shield and the 43 together.

Well, first off... I don't think the shield is more comfortable at all. I found them almost the same, maybe with a slight edge to the 43. And I am typically sensitive to this as I have HUGE hands. Secondly, and this was a big surprise, the trigger on the shield was the SINGLE WORST trigger I have ever squeezed. It was a giant mix and match of mush, grit, and un-precise garbage. I called it an abomination of a trigger, and the sales guy (friends of ours), didn't disagree. On the contrary, the 43 trigger felt exactly like all my other stock glock triggers. A tad heavier, but WAY cleaner, with a tiny fraction of the grit and garbage.

I was pleasantly surprised by the 43 up against the shield.

Anybody else find the shield trigger as bad as I did? Are they all like that or did my LGS have a funny sample? I pair of 43s is in my future I think.

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

3. ronin.45

ronin.45

Both are good guns and both can stand a trigger job.
    I went 43 and it works well for me.

4. STI

STI

I got a 45 Shield and trigger breaks at 4.2 on gage every time not bad at all, I looked at both also and got the S&W, it has shot fine not 1 problem at all

Aggressor and Lt. Donn like this.
  5. TeaDub

TeaDub

It would be convenient if both you and your wife end up liking the same firearm. That would take a very distant second place to getting what each of you are comfortable and most proficient with. If you like your PPS, keep it for now. Have your wife try as many options as possible and get her the one that is best for HER.

After that is accomplished, you try her new gun. If you too love it, trade in your PPS. If you don't like your Walther, there are two (possibly distinct) paths that need to be traveled.

TC55FORD and Teecher45 like this.
  6. byf43

byf43 NRA Patron Life Member

Since I bought the Shield .40, the G26 sits in the safe.

Period.

Haven't shot the G26 in 2 years.

Have NO desire to get the G43.

Mark2Glock and slamdunc like this.
  7. Larry T

Larry T

I carry a G17 with the large beavertail - I have large hands and longish fingers too. We also have a Shield my wife shoots. I don't particularly like the Shield and wanted to dump it for either a 43 or XDs. We rented the 43 and XDs to compare to our Shield. Surprisingly, neither of us liked the 43. I liked the XDs slightly more than the Shield but she liked the Shield best, so we kept it. I did however get one of the new Hogue Beavertail grips made for the Shield. It made a world of difference for me and it didn't make trigger reach too long for the wife.

8. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

So, how much you want for the G26?

9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I was never interested in the Glock 43 when they first came out because I was disappointed that it was so much larger than the 42 which was already large for a .380.
    But I understand why Glock did this, because both the 42 and the 43 are more pleasant to shoot than smaller guns in those chambering's.

But one day at my local indoor range I noticed they had a G43 for rent, so I tried it out, and even though I still thought that it was too large for pocket carry, it was enjoyable to shoot. Then a couple of weeks later I went out to a local area where I do most of my shooting and brought a friend along who wanted to compare his EAA Witness 10mm to my G20 but he also brought along his 9mm Shield and let me try it.

In spite of being a rabid Glock fanboy, I'm sorry to say that I liked the Shield better than the Glock 43. And since they make the same sized gun in 40 caliber, that may be what I end up getting. Also in 9mm, the shield has 1 round more ammo capacity.

S&W Shield 9mm
    Weight: 19.0 oz
    Length: 6.1″
    Height: 4.6″
    Width: 0.94″
    Barrel Length: 3.1″
    Ammo capacity 7+1

Glock 43
    Weight 17.95 oz.
    Length: 6.26 in.
    Height: 4.25 in.
    Width: 1.02 in.
    Barrel Length: 3.39 in.
    Ammo capacity 6+1

10. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness

The trigger on my Shield is pretty good, but I probably have a thousand rounds through it. It's getting better and better.

Dcc65 and tic-tok-GLOCK like this.
  11. tic-tok-GLOCK

tic-tok-GLOCK

I first bought a Shield, mine must have the right tolerances,and I like the factory trigger.it has a bit of creep, but broke cleanly at 5.2 lbs.... perfect for a carry gun.

....then several months later, a super deal on a 43 came along and I bought it. The trigger was kinda heavy at about 7 lbs. and spongy.

I have since added the Agency Arms trigger assy. and it's now just like the Shield. Just over 5 lbs. with clean break.

I'm a happy camper.

Aslan and Earl Smith like this.
  12. tngambler

tngambler

The Shield bulges brass. makes it unsafe to reload the brass. i have one i know. Starline even has a disclaimer "do not use their 9mm brass in a Shield due to poorly supported chamber. mine bulges HST brass terribly. a waste of money imho.

13. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I like both the Shield and 43, but lean towards the 43. Actually, I'm thinking of going back to the 938, also a great firearm.

OldDad likes this.
  14. igor455

igor455

I own and carry a shield i don't have a problem with the trigger and shoot it well I usually carry a g 26. Like that too
    Now I have not shot at 43. Hey I t works for me

15. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

This is what you seek, so many great options,
    9mm,

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/lc9s/models.html

• Capacity7+1
    • Slide MaterialThrough-Hardened Alloy Steel
    • Barrel MaterialAlloy Steel
    • Barrel Length3.12"
    • Grip FrameBlack, High Performance, Glass-Filled Nylon

• Slide FinishBlued
    • Barrel FinishBlued
    • Width0.90"
    • SightsDrift Adjustable 3-Dot
    • Weight17.2 oz.
    • Safety OptionPro Model: Integrated Trigger Safety Only

• FeaturePro Model
    • Overall Length6"
    • Height4.50"
    • Grooves6
    • Twist1:10" RH
    • CA ApprovedNo
    • MA Approved & CertifiedNo
    • Suggested Retail$479.00

And for a 380,

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/lcpII/models.html

huskerbuttons likes this.
  16. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

Brass for reloading 9mm is pretty cheap and with semi-autos, unless you have a brass catcher you're going to lose a lot of it anyway.

17. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

The trigger is nice or decent? Or is it as terrible as I described, but you just don't have a problem with it?

I'm just curious if the LGS has a bad copy or if all their triggers are that terrible.

tic-tok-GLOCK likes this.
  18. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Of all the single stack 9mm's I think the Sig 938 has the easiest slide to work because of its barrel toggle arrangement. Also the SA trigger is very good. Does she like the 938?

Shield trigger has a long takeup, but it is much lighter than the safe action of the Glock as the striker if fully cocked. Mine also has a manual safety.

While I have Glocks and a Shield on my CCW, I still use an S&W 637 as my EDC. No fuss, no muss.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    FM12 likes this.
  19. Cpt.America

Cpt.America

She mostly likes it. She likes the manual safety less and less. More and more she likes the idea of being able to pull the firearm and pull the trigger without having to worry about manipulating something on the gun before i can go off. The gun is also a tad small for my hands, and we want to carry the same single-stack so she can carry mine, I can carry hers, and we can share mags... which is why we are looking at the shield and 43.

Earl Smith and ithaca_deerslayer like this.
  20. Chordeiles

Chordeiles

My wife borrowed a shield from someone she works with. I shot it and pretty much thought the same thing, the trigger was horrible! She ended up picking the 43 and we're both happy she did.

I never have understood all of the rave reviews of the shield. I think the 43 feels better in the hand and has a better trigger.

72Cheyenne, vba and Cpt.America like this.