close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Convince someone who has never owned a .45 Glock to get one

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RMTactical, Aug 13, 2012.

1. RMTactical

RMTactical Battle Born CLM

Thinking of getting a G30SF, or maybe even a G21, but they seem huge to me. I shot my brother's G21SF and I actually liked it.

I own Glock 26, 19, and 17. Also a couple of G27's.

Only .45's I own are 1911's, and I love them but they are too damn heavy...

Are the .45 Glocks as good as the 9mm's and .40's, reliability-wise?

2. ctfireman

ctfireman

Shoot a G30 & it should be all the convincing you need. 10+1 of .45 acp in a compact package yet tame enough to shoot at the range enjoyably. Perfect balance of comfortable carry & firepower. Just listening to myself makes me want another one!

3. GaryC

GaryC

I have just over 1600 rounds thru 2 Gen4 G21s and they are as reliable as my 9MM and 40S&W Gen 4 Glocks. The newest one didn't like Winchester USA45JHP (two failures to feed in 50 rounds after 400 rounds of FMJ were put thru it). It feeds Remington Golden Sabers just fine so no biggie IMO.

I have very large hands and prefer the G21s over the 1911s I have.

I've got a Gen4 G20 on order from my local Blue Label Dealer and I might like it even better than the G21s :supergrin:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  4. Rustin

Rustin

I was going to ask why Glock .45 when there are so many 1911's....

Maybe a lightweight 1911?

M&P 45c is about the same size as a G19...

G21 though...

5. 9mm +p+

9mm +p+

G-21's rock, super accurate and easy to shoot, plus 13 rds on tap. What's not to like?

6. RMTactical

I love the 1911 but I don't like the weight and small capacity.

I can't handle the triggers on the M&P's, the M&P45C has an even worse trigger than the rest of the M&P family IMO though.

I am leaning towards a G30SF though right now, but I have never shot one.

7. FiremanBob

FiremanBob

If it fits your hand, the G21 or G30 is a very comfortable pistol to shoot, accurate and minimal muzzle flip. Mine was too big for my hand so I sold it, but if it fits, they are great.

8. AKRover

AKRover 10MM Fanatic

If you shot the G21SF and liked it I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. It's all about what you like. No one else's opinion matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

9. NH Trucker

NH Trucker Needs coffee...

Try and find a range near you that rents pistols. They'll probably have one so you can try it before you buy it. I don't have a G30, but I have a G21sf and I love it. The G30 is next on my list.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

10. Socks tear

Socks tear

Glock 30, nuff said

11. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Well, since you've already shot one and like it, here's what I can offer:

1. G30SF is excellent to carry, and I carry a spare G21 magazine, too.
    2. I have two G21s: G21 Gen3 (an old LE trade-in) is equipped with TruGlo TFOs and a Crimson Trace Rail Master and stands watch as nightstand pistol. G21 Gen4 is my favorite Glock, and is currently my test bed/guinea pig when I'm developing loads with new powders and/or projectiles.
    3. They are fun and accurate to shoot, and are just as reliable as any other Glock I've got.
    4. Since you mentioned .45 and didn't specify .45ACP or .45GAP, I'll vouch for the .45GAP as well. I have a G37 Gen4 and carry a G39. Same projectiles (185 and 200 gr.) I load for .45ACP, so ammo cost/availability is not a factor and they also make the same size holes in the targets. They run about the same velocity-wise, but the GAP pistols have smaller frames, like the 9/40/357 models but have the wider slide like the 10mm/.45ACP.

Let us know which model(s) you pick up :)

12. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Big holes = big results :) carry a 21 on duty every day, 2,500 flawless rds so far. Carry a 30 off duty without any issues as well

Sent from my iPhone... which probably auto-corrected something wrong

13. Bruce M

Bruce M

Although thicker in the grip the G30 is similar in size with the G19 which is quite popular.

14. RMTactical

Looking for insight regarding reliability. I am specifically looking at the G30SF though which I have not shot...

Bottom line, I think I have myself 90% convinced to do it, just looking for some reassurance.

15. BIGBOY61

BIGBOY61

I had a G30SF and it was the best compact 45ACP that I have ever fired.

Accurate and dependable. Just too fat to hold and hang on to with my IWB holster.

Sold it to get an Ed Brown 1911. Love my 1911.

With that said, I am waiting for the Gen4 G30's to come out. Better grip surface, mag release, and exchangeable back straps.

Gen4 G29 as well. Waiting for Christmas.

16. Teecher45

Teecher45

Go find/rent a Gen4 21 and shoot it.
    It will be all of the convincing you will need...

17. jhc37013

jhc37013

I just bought my first .45 Glock the other day a 30SF and was really surprised how well it shot and how little felt recoil it has, I was expecting to have to hold on for dear life but I don't notice it being much worse that my G19. I did no research or anything just found a good deal and bought it, glad I did I'm now carrying it everyday in a open top Don Hume holster and it feels about the same as carrying a 26, feels a little bigger but I think the .45 is worth it.

18. Bluescot

Bluescot

Bingo on this one.

I see that the OP has a 26 and 27 and a 19. If you're liking the 19 it sounds like the only one missing is the 30 fom filling out your collection.

I have a 27, 19, 17, and a 30 and I love all of them with the 30 perhaps surfacing as the favorite. I had been shooting a Para 14-45 that had been all tricked out and found out how accurate a .45ACP could really be. But like many of you lads also found out that the weight of those 1911's especially a double stack mag, could do to your enthusiasm for carry it much.

Enter the 30 with a KKM stock length barrel and some judicious hand loads. I have some mild loads with 230g cast at 725fps and some wild loads at 966fps with a 230g cast both through my chronograph. That covers both ends of the spectrum for me and provides for a great shooter on my hip for the wilds of Idaho with 11 rounds of the wild stuff if needed in an accurate light package.

By the way if you go aftermarket barrel route, stay away from Lone Wolf Distrib. See the threads on that one.

19. Opie 1 Kenopie

Opie 1 Kenopie Regular Guy

The G30SF is wicked accurate and super soft to shoot. The only thing that beats it is the G21 in my safe. Probably the most accurate and soft shooting pistol I own. It's big, but during winter months it sees a lot of road time.

Both are unbelievably reliable. I thunk more so than any .40 or 9mm Glock I own. Something about those big chunks of steel clacking back and forth. Not sure either of mine have ever choked.

20. glockenturm

glockenturm

15+1 Rounds on tap.........

[​IMG]