convince me to get a glock over a xd

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by angelr15, Oct 5, 2010.

1. angelr15

angelr15

So I. Just went down to my local shop conviced on a g19 then they started trying to convince me on a xd ifits my hand and seams like a nice gun but don't know much about them I am not hating just asking what the advantages are for the two I was so set on g19 and now I don't know:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

2. Lethaltxn

Lethaltxn

Get what you feel comfortable with. I shot the XD at my local range and didn't like it at all. I will say though, for the money you get a lot of stuff with it. But, I would say shoot one first before you decide.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010

3. ambluemax

ambluemax

Ergonomics are so important in good shooting, that I think everyhting else (that folks will be along with shortly) is secondary. The torture tests, and agencies using them and all that crap is all back seat when the individual private citizen is making the choice. If the XD sings to you, buy it!!

Here are some of the best unbiased reviews you will find, watch these before you decide:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVprHSjspsA
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj0Kal84UNE

He has a 5 part glock review vid too...but you can search for that yourself

I have both. originally bought the XD over the glock. I've recently come full circle on the glock and now marginally prefer it to the XD, but its a highly personal choice.

4. Front Sight

Front Sight Front Sight

I have never held an xd. The Glock looks like barrel is a little closer to the trigger than an xd. You will like that feature better.

5. voyager4520

voyager4520

Probably the most important thing is which fits your hand better in a shooting stance.

One of the biggest advantages to a Glock is that they're easy to completely take apart AND find factory parts for.

6. sheepman

sheepman

I have both and like both. Like the XD's trigger a little better but don't like it's grip safety. I shoot the Glock a little better, they are both 40s but the Glock is a 23 and the XD is a sub compact. Shoot both and see which you like, they are both winners. JMHO : Bill

7. vafish

vafish

I like this video better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBdYBc0BLgQ

I had an XD40 service. Fine gun, but I found that I didn't shoot as well when I constantly changed from the XD40 to the G17. I also had a lot more invested in Glocks so I sold the XD.

Nothing wrong with it, just decided to stay with the Glocks.

8. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

Buy the G19!!

:drillsgt:

9. flivver

flivver

I, too, have come full circle... I bought an XDm in 9mm a year and a half ago. Decided to standardize on 45 ACP, so I sold it and bought two XD 45 compacts ("one is none", and all that). Was reasonably happy with them -- shot them well, and thought they felt nice in the hand.

Then, I bought a G17 (gen 4), just to try a GLOCK. There was nothing different about the way it felt, per se, but I got a wild hair and joined the GSSF so that I could take the armorer's class. The armorer's class did it for me, hook, line and sinker.

I am enamored of GLOCKs now because of their simplicity. I am not a very "mechanical" person, but I completely and totally understand how to fully disassemble a GLOCK, as far as it will go, and replace any part that's in it. When I got back from the armorer's class, I looked up the instructions for detail stripping an XD, and that made my decision for me: taking an XD apart is a much harder process, that involves special tools and parts that don't always go back in nicely (i.e. some of them have to be replaced when you detail strip an XD -- at least if what I read was accurate). GLOCKs come apart in a couple of minutes, with just one $10 tool, and there's nothing that breaks or can't be re-used to reassemble them.

This is getting long-winded... Bottom line, the fact that I can detail strip a GLOCK -- and can be taught that skill in a one-day class -- and can apply that skill to every GLOCK there is (except the G18, perhaps), was the clincher. I now own four GLOCKs, and am in the process of selling off my last XD.

BTW, I highly recommend joining the GSSF just to take the armorer's class -- and taking the armorer's class. It's $150 well spent. I spent the entire day smiling because I was having so much fun, learning about GLOCKs and taking them apart and putting them back together. It was a blast!

10. W420Hunter

W420Hunter

A big + on the first part, if the gun does not fit your hand well its worthless. I do not think that the xd is harder to take apart by any means. Friend of mine had the compact 9 an I took it apart no problem. He is dead on about the parts issue, but I think that is something that the market will correct in time.

11. RYNOCG201

RYNOCG201

try them out. I did like the way the XDm's felt but when I shot an XD compact 40 (not XDm) it felt very "cheap". I much prefer the feel of a glock and the lower bore axis. YMMV check them out. I however vote GLOCK x 1000.

12. TxGun

TxGun

I have an xd and it's OK, but I'd definitely go with the G19. Much more extensive service track record around the world, plus no comparison as far as parts availability. If you want an xd, get one. But I'd take the G19 every time.

13. NailShooter

NailShooter

I will concur. I have tried holding them (XD's) in the store and never got past that. The grip safety just bugged the heck out of me. Regards,

Nail

14. gocubs6

gocubs6

I have an XDM 9 and a G19. The XDM9 fits my hand much better. The grip is WAY thinner than the G19. But, everything else is bigger. That said, the Glock is much lighter and smaller. I like both and I don't think you can go wrong.

15. MJB

MJB

I really wanted an XD but Glocks just point better for me.

Winner...G19

16. GeorgiaRedfish

GeorgiaRedfish Senior Member

Get the Glock or I'll beat the s*** out of you! Convinced?

17. NIB

NIB

I've fired both an XD 45 and a Glock 21 when I was looking for a new .45 pistol and I really found no difference when firing both pistols in terms of accuracy, reliability and recoil.

The XD did seem to be a bit more slippery and I could actually feel it twist in my hand when firing. On the G21 the size of the grip pushed my hand too far up causing the slide to hit the web of my hand constantly.

For those reasons I chose neither pistol although the G21 SF and some grip tape or a rubber sleeve on the XD would probably take care of those issues. Had it not been for the M&P 45 I would still be looking at those two pistol but so far the S&W is my answer over the G21 and the XD.

18. NailShooter

NailShooter

What do the grips measure for thickness (with a caliper) when comparing the XD and the 19? The XD's always felt and looked thicker to me in the store. I can't believe that the grip of an XD is "WAY thinner than the G19". Please prove me wrong. Thanks,

Nail

19. Dogbite

Dogbite

I have owned many glocks and still do. I have shot the heck out of XD's, and I will say they are great guns. I found them accurate, reliable and tough. I like the grip better on an XD. I like the sights better on an XD. I like the trigger better on an XD. I'm not crazy about the grip safety, but it would not stop me from buying one.

20. NHmike

NHmike

Shoot them to see what you like. I HAD an XD it was nice, I like the G19 WAY better. I have shot them all..