Converting WAV to MP3

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sublime, Mar 11, 2005.

1. sublime

sublime

Just got an Ipod and I want to take a few songs off of some CDs and convert them to mp3. I have a program that will go the other direction, but not WAV to MP3. Any suggestions as to what is out there. User friendly is a big plus:)

2. fastvfr

fastvfr Ancient Tech

Since they are on CD, your best bet is my old standby, CDEx!

Once you get used to its layout, it's as good as any for-pay solution out there.

GL

3. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

I have always liked BladeEnc. It is tiny and does exactly what I want. Here it is.

4. Weaps

Weaps Drives A Jeep

You have an iPod. Um, doesn't iTunes do that? Or does it only do the AAC (apple proprietary format)? I would check but I gave my iPod to my wife, and it promptly broke so it's at apple being repaired(replaced). Even if it does only do AAC (which is possible) it should do the whole CD-iPod thing completely for you and you will definitely be able to listen to them on the iPod. As for mp3 rippers, I have used bladeenc but it's a command line thing and you need to get something else to rip the CD itself. I used to use grip but that on Linux and you're probably Windows. Now I use a Mac and all my tunes are already converted to mp3, which iTunes handles just fine. Just don't know if it'll convert to mp3.

5. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

+1!

6. grantglock

grantglock /dev/null

weaps is correct, the ipod does not even use mp3. itunes converts everything to it own format. does itunes have a ripper to convert cds to AAC? not sure about that.

7. Weaps

Weaps Drives A Jeep

That I know iTunes does. One of the reasons I gave my wife the iPod is that I had bought her an RCA mp3 player that wouldn't work with her XP PC for some reason. I found that iTunes would do everything you need to go from music CD to the iPod even if it does convert it to its own format...it does put my existing mp3's on just fine though it might convert them to its AAC format. I reasoned that it would be superior to just give her the iPod with iTunes which would just do everything for her with her own CD's rather than have me convert them to mp3 on my computer and copy them to the crappy player which worked fine on my Linux box as a USB drive. iTunes and the iPod will do that for her when it comes back from being fixed by Apple in about 5 days.

8. Cancri

Cancri

9. SDBettas

SDBettas

Instead of herding to the IPOD along with the rest of the crowd. I wanted a HD MP3 player and I thought originally Ipod was the only one to have, till I did the research. My Iriver IHP-140 does everythign ipod does with better sound and more features that you have to pay extra for with IPOD. Drag files from windows explorer to Iriver (appears as Hard drive on computer when connected), and go..

10. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

I've got one of the old versions of AudioGrabber, that does this quite easily. Unfortunately, now if you download it, it only works for 30 days. But this old version work outstanding for just this situation. Rips from CD's, and converts wavs on your PC to MP3.

I don't think they still offer a free version

IGF

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 THIS IS IN ALL CAPS

I'd start at http://sourceforge.net and see what they have to download. I don't wanna take the time to read through it all but I'm positive you can find what you need there.

12. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

The latest version is free http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/

13. saber41

saber41 Guest

Another vote for CDex...

CDex

14. berniew

berniew Liberty

iTunes will convert CD's to mp3 and an iPod will play them.

If you really need a free Windows WAV to MP3 converter (not for CD but for something else) There is a free tool at http://www.riverpast.com/

15. SanduneCC

SanduneCC Senior Member

What does it mean when people say they use EAC + LAME? I thought an MP3 ripper like EAC or CDex already encodes stuff into the MP3 (by definition). What is this additional LAME process?

16. Cancri

Cancri

LAME is open-source external compression/decompression utility used by other applications like EAC. Lame makes the best quality/size mp3s. Personally I create only VBR (variable bit rate) mp3s.
    Lame comes in EXE and DLL, controlled by commandline (no comfort) that's why I use EAC, it takes control over the process. To be honest, I created my own interface ;)
    LAME is the best and it's free!
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/lame/

17. Sinister Angel

Sinister Angel I'd Hit It!

Uhh, CDex uses lame to encode as well..

18. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Thanks for the heads up.... I didn't realize it was Freeware now. Guess I'll download the newest version. :)

IGF

19. greenlead

greenlead

Because MP3 is really just compressed .WAV, there are tons of tools to do it for you!

LAME is the encoder often used, and can be controlled by ripping and other programs.

I use GRIP when I am in a Linux environment, because it is so powerful, customizable, and easy to use.