close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Converting VHS tapes to digital...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Big Dog Dad, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Big Dog Dad

Big Dog Dad NRA Patriot Life Member

I have a whole lot of VHS tapes from when my daughter was young that I would like to convert to digital and burn on a DVD but as usual I don't have a clue on how to do this without a whole lot of hassle. I looked at the the H-P dc4000 DVD burner that is a stand-a-lone and has analog inputs but the writeups I have read all say the software is not that good and the burner itself is sort of iffy. I don't have a digital camcorder and didn't really want to buy one with analog input but that was one suggestion I have gotten in many writeups. Any DETAILED instructions on what equipment, what format, what, what what... ad infinitum would be greatly appreciated.

-=BDD=-

2. saber41

saber41 Guest

I tried to convert some VHS tapes to DVD by connecting my VCR to a TV capture card on my pc. I was able to get the video but the sound reproduction sucked. I had no way to adjust the sampling rates. It might of turned out better if I used better software....

Anyway, I was thinking about trying something like this,
    http://www.shopathometv.com/shopath...hiiefcefeceeedffkdgjf.0&OID=62090&search=true

There are a lot of these DVD recorders out there but for $200 the Lite-On unit might be worth a try.
    I've used several Lite-On drives on my pc and am pleased with their quality
    I still haven't decided on what to get yet, I'm still in the research phase.

3. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Saber, did you have the sound inputs hooked to the line-in, or microphone in on your sound card? Did you have the option to select which audio input to use?

4. saber41

saber41 Guest

IIRC the output from the TV capture card was connected to the "line-in" on the sound card (i have onboard sound btw).

I was able to play a tape in the VCR (while connected to the computer) and view it on the computer with no problems. Picture and sound were both good.
    When I tried to record anything, the picture came out good but the sound quality was terrible.

I used the software that came with the TV card (ATI-TV Wonder VE)

Its been a while since I tried this but I'm pretty sure I tried both the line-in and the microphone for audio inputs.
    I got the same result using both inputs.

5. chevrofreak

I highly highly recomend Intervideo WinDVD Creator 2. It will render directly to the DVD format of your choice, provided you have enough CPU. I love it!

I didnt much care for ATI's capture presets.

Go with Line-In.

6. saber41

saber41 Guest

Thanks for the info chevrofreak,

Are you running the Gold or Platinum version ??
    Is there much of a difference ??

I am going to d/l it and try it out,
    (Its cool when these companies give you a free trial period of their software... :) )

7. chevrofreak

Mine doesnt say whether its gold or platinum, maybe it's neither.

8. chevrofreak

Nevermind, it's Platinum.

9. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun

I have converted about a dozen VHS to DVD using Pinnacle software with my digital camera as the interface. VCR to camera (set on AV to DVD) and into the computer. GPinnacle has good editing features and menu creation. It takes a while to render and compile but the DVD is good quality. The only negative is 100% quality only gives me 60 min on a DVD. How do the commercial DVD's get 120 min??

Wish there was something easier.

Oh well . . .

10. Maxthemutt

Maxthemutt

I think they use dual layer DVD's. :)