Convert SKS to drop mag?

Discussion in 'The Kalashnikov Klub' started by Pier23, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Gentlefolk,

i have a Russian SKS dated 1953. It has a fixed 10 round mag fed by a stripper clip thru the breech.

How much of a hassle is it to swap this to accept replaceable mags, and is this a wise move for this era weapon?

Thx!

2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

The few people I know that have done detachable mag mods to SKS rifles have all said they didn't work well, and were not worth the trouble.

3. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Hmm..well..fair enough. Not a big deal for me anyway...just never figured out how to use the stripper clip. Get three rounds loaded and the whole process stops, so I load the mag by hand.

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

Been a while since I've shot an SKS. On AR strippers, though, you usually have to jam down pretty hard to get everything to come loose of the stripper clip.

5. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Mine works great. It's just that mag changes with the sks is slow enough that I only take the mag out to reload it anyway. I should get some more mags...

Mine is Russian also..

edit: I bought mine this way.. I did not do the mod...

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  6. flynlead

flynlead

Push down closer to the primer end of the casing and do it in one quick motion. If you push too slow it does not work as well, at least for me. I have detachable mags but are not very reliable but for playing around they work fine. Sometimes a little hard to get in and out.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

7. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

For the hassle I had with the stripper, I found it was faster and easier to load rounds individually. Guess I dont have the reflexes to be a true freedom fighter...

8. maxxmojo

maxxmojo

I tried it on my Yugo a while back with the duckbill mags. While it was nice to have the increased round capacity I didn't really like how the duckbill mags fit in the rifle and they were a bit of a pain to get latched properly. After I got my first WASR-10, I threw the stock 10 round magazine back on the SKS and never looked back.

9. michael_b

michael_b Elementary, my dear Watson.

I did this years ago to a Chinese SKS paratrooper model. It worked okay, not great. There might be better solutions out there now. I would just learn to use the stripper clips.

10. Decguns

Decguns

The only way to get a standard SKS to accept AK mags requires extensive milling of both the receiver and bolt. A lot of goobers claim there's a drop in kit, but anyone with an SKS-M would know better. The AK magazine is much wider and would never fit in the standard SKS receiver. Easier to just buy an SKS-M. Your other option is duck-bill magazines like those from Tapco.

SKSs are best left as-is with their standard 10rd magazine. Another option is a fixed Chinese 20rd magazine. You can still find these on Gunbroker or Auctionarms. The ones I have hold around 25 rounds. It's not a perfect solution, but it does give you a lot more rounds.

[​IMG]

11. Luminary

Luminary

That's really cool! Are you experiencing any issues with those 20 round internal mags?

12. Bubbiesdad

Bubbiesdad IDPA SO

One problem is, when you start modifying, you lose your C & R status.

13. michael_b

+1 That was my experience also, you have to push very firmly near the base of the top round. If all goes well, the stripper lines up right and loads quickly.

Posted from my iPhone

14. michael_b

The kit I used for detachable magazine conversion used special mags of their own that fit just fine. It worked, you just had to buy these specific mags and bend them in front to back- I assume similarly to an AK mag. As far as I know, it wouldn't accept regular AK mags.

This was about 20 years ago and I don't even know if they make adapter I used any more.

Posted from my iPhone

15. Travclem

Travclem Badass Member Lifetime Member

I converted my /26\ Norinco with a Tapco stock and mags. It works well but I wouldn't do this to a nice Russian. Maybe look for a Norinco SKS-M that takes AK mags.

ETA My tapcos can be loaded with stripper clips as well.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  16. Pier23

Pier23 Silver Member

Are there modern SKSs made now, or are they all ComBloc surplus?

17. eyelikeglasses

eyelikeglasses Hooah, Hooah.

OP, I'll send you an AKM if you wanna trade? And no, before you ask, not my prized WASR.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  18. mingaa

mingaa

Conventional wisdom says don't do it- success rate is low and the stock SKS is a solid tool as-is. Buy an AK if you must have 30 rounds. If you DO find a Chinese 20 round fixed mag please buy two and I will make it worth your while. Look for the embossed star-hard to miss but also hard to find in today's market. LOL!!!!

19. dakotasdad

dakotasdad

Psst... A ball punch is coming your way if you do silly stuff to your Russian SKS...

Do not barney/bubba your SKS, you've been warned.

20. michael_b

The kit I used was a zytel plastic adapter that I fixed in place with a couple of pieces of scrap metal that I put threaded holes and attached from the sides through a synthetic stock. The rifle remained unaltered itself.

Wish I still had it, I'd take pictures.

Posted from my iPhone