Convert G27 to G26

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RangeRover, Feb 18, 2010.

1. RangeRover

RangeRover

I am new here so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum. I tried a search and found some information but not everything I was looking for.

I have a G27 and want to turn it into a G26 for the girlfriend. I already have a Lonewolf 40-9 conversion barrel and 9mm magazines. I have read here where people have said I'd need a new ejector and new extractor. When I went in to have it done the gunsmith said that because the breech face of the .40 is bigger in the 27 than the 26, he still would not recommend it. I'm new to this so I thought I'd ask the "experts" here to get a final answer. I don't have enough money to buy a new 26 and don't want to lose any more than I have to making this swap so I don't want to sell the 27 and buy a 26. I have about 600 rounds of 9mm through the gun so far with no problems with no alterations. I want to make this "carry ready" for the GF. What do I need to do to my 27 to make that happen. Thanks

2. american lockpicker

american lockpicker License to Il

3. HK Dan

HK Dan

Range,

This has been addressed time and time again on here. No, you don't need those parts. With an upper-middle range load, the gun will function fine.

Secondarily, I wouldn't use a converted gun for self defense. Depending on the attitude of the prosecutor, you may be entangling yourself in another fight that you don't need to have, should the gun be used in a deadly force incident.

I use my conversions for low cost practice, but swap back to the factory barrel for self-defense.

4. bikerpipes

bikerpipes

All I did was drop in the barrel and a 26 mag and shoot when my wife goes to the range with me. I swap barrels in my 27 to 9mm and let her shoot it also.

5. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

Buy a complete 26 upper.

6. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

He already has a conversion barrel and G26 magazines. He is trying not to spend much more money. For the ejector, if your G27 is made after 1998 it should have the long ejector which works well with 9mm too. Now my G27 slide and extractor fit the 9mm rims very loosely. If you have the loaded chamber indicating extractor you can change to the 9mm one for good snug fit. Both the 9mm and 40 caliber LCI extractors use the same spring loaded bearing. This is a very small piece of plastic on the rear end of the extractor spring. It is easy to lose and cheap so buy some spares. If your G27 extractor is not a LCI type then a new 9mm spring loaded bearing is required for a non LCI 9mm extractor or a universal LCI spring load bearing if you install a 9mm LCI extractor in your G27 that doesn't have a 40 caliber LCI extractor. If your G27 is pre-1998 or has a short ejector then you can update to the long 40 caliber extractor which will function with 9mm. You can get away without these changes sometimes and only change the barrel and magazine.

7. RangeRover

RangeRover

It sounds like my options are 1-get a 26 upper 2-leave as is or 3-get a new extractor. This is a gen 3 gun "born" about a year ago. Since I want my GF to conceal carry this, I'm worried about #2 even though it has never failed in 1000 .40 and 600 9mm attempts. If I go with option #3, will I essentially have a G26 then or will I need to still worry about reliability. Sorry, I'm a NOOB and don't know much about handguns. Thanks for your help.

8. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

If it was made a year ago, the 9mm extractor is a straight change as long as it's a loaded chamber indicating one. There is a small plastic bearing on the rear of the extractor spring. It is stuck in the spring but take care not to lose it. When buying the 9mm extractor you can buy a few spare spring loaded bearings. They are cheap. Going with a G26 upper is best but it's expensive. I was going to do that but ended up buying a used G26 instead.

The G26 slide can't use the 9mm G27 conversion barrel and will require a G26 barrel.

The G27 and G26 firing pins are different too.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  9. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Barrell & Mags are just fine for punching paper. Other changes are generally recommended to truly convert it to a 26.

10. RangeRover

RangeRover

Thanks for the replies. I'll do the full monty.