Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To those that have gone the route of conversion barrels, have they turned out to be better than just buying a pistol in the converted caliber?

On the fence about picking up a 40-9 barrel fom Line Wolf.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts
It generally is much more cost effective to buy a conversion barrel and required magazines, but the original gun in the original caliber will always be better.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If I wanted to do a permanent conversion would I just need the conversion barrel and then a 9mm extractor and trigger housing? Those are the only parts that are different right?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I wanted to do a permanent conversion would I just need the conversion barrel and then a 9mm extractor and trigger housing? Those are the only parts that are different right?

I never changed the extractor on my G23, just installed the Wolf barrel and use G19 mags in it. Haven't kept track of total rounds but easily 500+ a year through it and it's been installed since winter of 2014 no issues at all with it for reliability.

That said, I don't carry it these days after I got my first G19.4 it stole the show and has been my EDC since.

·
Registered
18,793 Posts

There are a lot of different bits, depending on the gun you are converting from and the gun you are essentially converting to, if you essentially want a duplicate. In the end, it won't be an exact duplicate, because the conversion barrel isn't OEM.

·
NRA Patron Member, Blue Knights Member
670 Posts

Some conversion barrels, Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm, are offset for the 40 trigger/extractor group (Lone Wolf advertisement) so no need to swap parts. I use this barrel in my Glock 22 for range and practice and have never had and issue. For self defence I always use the caliber the pistol was made for as i feel it will be more reliable but i have no evidence to say the conversion is less reliable, just my choice.

Reactions: JBur and Hrodebert

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Some conversion barrels, Lone Wolf 40 to 9mm, are offset for the 40 trigger/extractor group (Lone Wolf advertisement) so no need to swap parts. I use this barrel in my Glock 22 for range and practice and have never had and issue. For self defence I always use the caliber the pistol was made for as i feel it will be more reliable but i have no evidence to say the conversion is less reliable, just my choice.
Offset, what's that mean?

·
670 Posts
Offset, what's that mean?
The size of a 9mm rim is smaller than the rim of the 40 S&W. So you can imagine that the ejection may not work well for the smaller round. Lone Wolf “claims” that their 40-9 conversion barrels chamber are slightly offset to the right looking forward to enable 9 mm rounds to be used in the Glock 22 40 S&W without having to change anything except the barrel and magazines. Personally I can’t see any difference just looking at it. Anyway this is the offset that they claim, it does seem to work as the barrel works flawlessly.

·
670 Posts
Lone Wolf's phone guy told me they are offset. And I still don't believe it.
I agree I tried measuring but don’t have the right tools. For the life of me it just looks like a typical centered barrel

Reactions: WeeWilly

·
Huge Member
11,689 Posts
I am firmly in the buy a 40, then buy a conversion barrel camp. I have them for Glock 22, XD40 and M&P 40. Practice/play with 9, carry 40.

Reactions: JBur

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think it's a weak attempt to falsely differentiate their product as being special. Consider this: if it were offset the chamfer at the crown would be noticeably thicker on the left side than the right. It isn't. It would also be pretty hard on suppressor baffles. But I suppose the phone guy would say they offset the threads as well. But most obvious reason the throw the BS flag is the illogic that offsetting matters, but is so slight that the eye cannot detect it.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
I heard this before and both me and a machinist I know measured my LW barrel and there was no offset. Think about it, are they going to drill the bore off center? If that were true the primer would have to hit off center also.

·
NRA Benefactor
5,784 Posts
I like the 19 frame, but didn't necessary want another 9mm handgun. I like 357Sig and already have several 40's and a 10mm to 40 S&W conversion. I bought the 23 which was easier to get than a 32, ordered the KKM 40-9 conversion barrel, and got a factory 357Sig barrel. Now I primarily use it for 357Sig and sometimes as a 9mm as I like the frame size.

I also have a 20C which I purchased used. The previous owner put the Glock night sights on it, and purchased LW conversion barrels in 40S&W, 357Sig, and an unported 10mm barrel. I gather it was for economy as well as versatility as 40S&W is far cheaper than 10mm.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts