Glock 22 Conversion Barrel and making a Glock heavier.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Rick James45, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Rick James45

Rick James45

I have posted here before about my success with SL 40->357 Sig conversion barrel in G23 and G22. All the below is about GEN 3 only. That is all I own.

I have a little project now to see how much practical, non destructive weight I can add to a G22 for a Limited Minor 9mm. Yes, USPSA Limited Minor is a fools errand, but why not just for fun and I have sooo much 9mm around.

I took a brand new G22 GEN3 FDE model that was sitting in the safe as the donor. I test fired the G22 to make sure it was G2G. Trust, but Verify, right?

I added a stainless steel guide rod with 15 # ISMI spring. I know there are heavier and may explore later.

Storm Lake 40-> 9mm conversion barrel for G22.

JP Rifles Magwell - once again, there are heavier out there.

Dawson Fiber Optic sight set. (Black rears).

Dawson 5/6 mag extension for < 141.5mm legal USPSA magazine.

This brought the gun up to just shy of 32 ounces. Note, except the barrel, the stuff above was just laying around, so why not?

Given all the above is super easy to return to factory, what other non-destructive options would one consider in exchange for the above? I don't like Frame weights and personally I don't think that is where I want to make gains. Mainly the frame is where I would like to improve.

BTW - The gun shot perfect through a couple 100 131 PF 125 Blue Bullets. The ejection pattern went from the typical (for me) back right about 12 feet away. Now it ejects about 5 feet and to the right. I could almost set a 5 gallon bucket to catch the brass. Very predictable. Shooting on steel plates a 15 yards I noticed no perceivable change to POI. (I am sure there must be some, but not for my sloppy shooting)

The above worked so well that I have a cherry G35 I am thinking about doing the same.

2. -JCN-

-JCN-

Personally, I’d do grip plug but you said you don’t like those.

For you, a WML filled with lead shot might be your solution a la Bob Vogel. It’ll put the weight under the muzzle and help reduce flip.

3. Rick James45

Rick James45

Yep, The JP Magwell uses a plug for installation that is similar in profile as a slug plug, but flush with frame. I was thinking about moulding a heavy material as the plug and just tapping for the mag well screw. I think this may be my next step. I do not like huge magwells. Dawson's ICE is about the biggest I will go. The JP to me is just right. But, it is all aluminum. Would love to have the same in heavy material.