Conversations with Open Carry individuals

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Ninjamamaseeta, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Ninjamamaseeta

Ninjamamaseeta "You don't get what you don't ask for."

I'm interested in hearing if any of you have encountered someone Open Carrying and whether or not you struck up a conversation with them.

If not, why?

If so, how did the discussion go?

If I saw someone Open Carrying here in Michigan, I'd start a conversation to find out why they were carrying and see where it went from there.

2. Gun Shark

Gun Shark

I do not, as open carry isn't legal here in Florida. Though even if it were, I really don't care that someone is OCing. In addition, the last thing I would want to do is antagonize(or be perceived as doing so) someone with a gun.

3. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

I don't bother strangers. We have enough OC here, that no one cares anyhow. Not even conversation worthy unless it's show and tell amongst friends.

4. rvrrat14

rvrrat14

The few I've encountered in Texas have been very talkative in general, not about their/your pistol. Not overly loud, but wanting to talk.

Ninjamamaseeta and Gun Shark like this.
  5. G19 DB

G19 DB

Maybe this isn't where you are going, but too many things to divide us already. Not that many years ago I remember the classic rifle guys vs black rifle guys (mostly older vs younger), before that, traditional black vs inline folks, revolver vs auto, hunters vs shooters and on and on. I don't open carry but respect someone's decision to. I see a fellow gun owner & someone that respects our constitutional right. Prolly just tip my hat, smile and move on.

6. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

The conversation I had with the gentleman open carrying I met in Kentucky related only to the weather and his job as an insurance underwriter. This brief meeting was as I held a door open for him.

He was a short, pudgy, middle-aged fellow who was completely gassed-out after climbing a single flight of stairs. He had an amazing Colt 1911 in nickel with pearl handles, it was a real showpiece. He carried it in an Uncle Mikes nylon holster on his ranger style belt; the holster had no retention / security features except for a velcro thumb-break.

I encountered another guy open-carrying in an elevator. He had a full-size Glock in what I believe was a Blackhawk kydex holster with a retention lock. He appeared to be focused, alert and aware of his surroundings. Conversely, he didn't seem interested in having a conversation, so neither of us started one up.

Neither of the encounters alarmed me in any way, I didn't feel threatened in any way. Seeing the pudgy guy with a firearm did concern me a bit.

Stevekozak and Ninjamamaseeta like this.
  7. Ninjamamaseeta

Cool! Thanks for sharing your stories. Admittedly, I'm fascinated by the whole OC concept and variety of scenarios encountered.

This is what I'd call the ideal type of interaction. Clue in on whether or not the person appears approachable before assuming they'd be interested in a conversation. Strike one up if it seems appropriate. Leave alone if not. And carry on!

So long as exchanges go like these, life can be simple. But... There's a million ways encounters can happen.

slamdunc likes this.
  8. Decutor

Decutor

The fact that there are "ideal" types of interactions with open carriers and we need to be worried about how the exchange is going lest it go one of "a million ways encounters can happen" is telling.

I've often thought they OC guys were a little out there, like their cheap holsters and the fact that they often OC because they won't get a CCW is ridiculous, but I never for a moment thought I was in danger of being shot by one or had to act a certain way to one.

9. treg

treg

I see it as normal and no reason to start a conversation.

10. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

I have run into a "open carry meetup" a couple of times. One time at a bookstore I actually thought it was a star trek fan club but then noticed that they were all openly armed. I spoke with at least 3 of the most flamboyant individuals in the group and none had any training what so ever. They actually seemed a little put off that I asked them about their level of training.

I had no intention of interacting with them but one guy made it a point to walk right up to me 4 or 5 times, pulling and tugging, adjusting his XDM in a serpa. He even released it from the lock mechanism and clicked it back into place as he walked 8 -10 inches from my face. I was seated and thumbing though some new fiction and finally just had to laugh. He instantly asked me what I was laughing at. I just waved him off and said.."nothing man". 30 minutes later I asked him and 2 of his comrades about their level of training. What I got was crickets

11. Decutor

Decutor

I'd have told him to stop that for sure.

Also, SERPAs. Why is it ALWAYS f***** SERPAs??

thetoastmaster likes this.
  12. Gaston_Convert

Gaston_Convert

I've complimented a tall thin younger guy about his 1911 which was a nice looking stainless Kimber. He didn't seem to be particularly situationally aware though and, instead, more focused on his grocery shopping. Another time I noticed a really pudgy guy who looked like a giant baby wearing a black pistol of some kind partially visible between rolls of his humanity. That observation was just weird, but then again it was one of those People of Walmart scenes.
    :laughing:

slamdunc likes this.
  13. Terlingueno

Terlingueno

These passive/aggressive open carry threads really draw out the holier than thou types...

14. Ninjamamaseeta

That encounter must have felt surreal! I find it sadly hilarious, yet intriguing.

15. larry_minn

larry_minn Silver Member Millennium Member

Every open carry person I have seen in MN or CO have been discrete. Just going about their business with few folks even noticing that they have a fully exposed gun on.
    Except city Chief in SD. Laid his holstered revolver on counter and went into bathroom. So less then a foot from my food is a holstered revolver.
    I ask waitress "local Cop"? She says "Chief".

16. dubito

dubito

I have seen open carriers in Walmart and in fast-food restaurants. Most of the carriers weren't alone, and most were with their families. I conversed with only one. He was carrying a 1911-style 9mm. He eating in a restaurant alone and had arrived riding a sizable motorcycle. I complimented him on his bike.

mc1911, Stevekozak and Ninjamamaseeta like this.
  17. Ninjamamaseeta

It seems that whether or not OC is common or not makes a difference whether or not my original question is a big deal. I have yet to see anyone OC'ing a handgun in my state unless it's at a range, so it's been my recent curiosity what others' experiences are since I've not seen nor spoken with anyone who has either exercised or spoken to someone exercising OC rights within their states.

I guess now that I've heard a few stories, I think I'd have too apply situational judgment as to whether or not I'd approach a person who is OC'ing. If it were a group of gruffy looking men on motorcycles, it depends. I know a lot of motorcycle guys who look gruffy but have hearts of teddy bears. One who I met at a local G&K show was a LEO. He was super nice and quite a chatter box but 'looked the part'. Goes to show, never judge a book by its cover.

A central theme I've found with the topic of OC vs CC has to do with what's considered a societal norm within the area where you find yourself either at home or in cities elsewhere as well as what the laws are in ones state. Even within a state, it seems what's normal can vary.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Bruce M likes this.
  18. Ninjamamaseeta

Geez, leaving his holstered revolver out of his sight? Yikes!

Pope-onna-Rope likes this.
  19. blackjack

blackjack

I was in line at the Dollar General a couple of days ago and I heard a discussion begin between two women behind me just as I started to check out. Turns out that the woman directly behind me was OC and the woman behind her was asking about it. They were having a good, non-emotional conversation and the OC woman was handling the questions well, IMO. Just the way it should happen ideally.

20. Ninjamamaseeta

This is the very first time I've heard of an OC being female. It only matters to me because less female individuals are comfortable around firearms than male individuals. I'd like to see that change and it's been changing in the recent years, but we're not at the balance of population and probably never will be, at least not while I'm alive.