Controlability of Baby Glock Like the G-26

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by 147 Grain, Aug 5, 2005.

1. 147 Grain

147 Grain

Having only fired full-sized Glocks, I'm curious as to what type of recoil or controlability is experienced in Baby Glocks like the G-26?

Also, what type of self defense ammo do MOST Glockers use in a G-26?

Thank-you in advance of your objective replies.

Steve

P.S. Kind of doubt there'd be too many shooting the snappy Ranger T 127-grainers in +P+ (147-gr. definitely kick less).

2. 147 Grain

147 Grain

P.S.:

Guess when your life's on the life, you'd probably be gripping a G-26 pretty tight, with fear replacing any perceived recoil.

3. RENEA

RENEA Black Rifle guy

The percieved recoil is quite manageable for such a compact handgun. Try one and you might be surprised.:)

4. PaulBk

PaulBk Grumpy Grandpa

G26 with Federal HST. Almost no percieved recoil. Weak hand shoots just about as well as strong hand.

-PB

5. Dambrook

Dambrook

The G26 is an amazing litle pistol. Recoil/controlability about the same as my full size G17.

6. Clem Eastwood

Clem Eastwood

the G26 and g30 are a lot easier to handle then the kel tec p32 i shot.

7. Guy Powell

Guy Powell Guest

Kind of doubt there'd be too many shooting the snappy Ranger T 127-grainers in +P+

NO problem with this ammo in a G26. Also, no more, maybe even a bit less, felt recoil than in my G19.

8. 147 Grain

147 Grain

Guess I'll have to put the 17 aside and try the Baby Glock.

9. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

The recoil of the G-26 is suprisingly mild! I'm pretty sure it's the combination of short barrel and the dual recoil spring. My early G-26 went to a lady-friend years ago who'll be using it for her primary CCW pistol.

Several months ago I picked up a new OD green G-26 and I've shot 100+ rounds of Federal 9BPLE +P+ thru it with no problems (the 9BPLE is my choice of ammo for both my G-19's and the new G-26).

Last week I just put another 200 rounds of mixed ammo thru the G-26 (Sellier & Bellot, Remington, an old box of Speer 124TMJ's that have been in my car for 8+ years and 18 rounds of Win. 115STHP's that have been in the car for 10+ years(!), all without a bobble.

I just got two more G-26 mags with Shearer finger floorplates and I need to go out and test them with the 9BPLE load before I use them. The extended floorplates certainly make the G-26 feel alot better and I'm sure will help when shooting it, but even without the added floorplate and with the pinky finger curled under the magazine, the G-26 is still very easy to shoot (even with my 9BPLE loads).

As Clem Eastwood mentioned, the G-30 is also suprisingly light recoiling. I had rented one and put full power 230FMJ's thru it and I was REALLY suprised at it's accuracy and lack of recoil. If I wasn't so dedicated to my 9mm Glocks, the G-30 would definately be top on my list of .45's for concealed carry purposes.

Just as a side note, I'd avoid 147JHP's as a carry load in the G-26. At subsonic velocities out of 4" bbl's (950 fps +/-), it's going to loose even more in the snubby 3.5" bbl of the G-26. Personally, I'd use at least a +P loading in the little G-26 to make up for the lost velocity it's going to give you.

10. fowler

fowler

A good gunner can make the g-26 sing like a full size!

11. MPG1737

MPG1737 Beer Me

The G26 is easy to control. The recoil is very weak.;c

12. AITruckGuy

AITruckGuy NRA Life member

The main problem I have with my 26 is that I can't convince myself to buy anything else. It's the nicest 9 mm I've ever shot. Guess I'll have to spend $$ on ammo and fishin lures - darn.~2 ~2 ~2

13. Dr. J Frame

Dr. J Frame LSWCHP +P

yeah!!!
    [​IMG]]

14. Merkavaboy

Merkavaboy Code-7A KUZ769

That's one Heck-of-a catch. Question is, which one is the lure? :)

By the way, where she gonna hide her G-26?

15. dhoomonyou

dhoomonyou

my 26 is a tack driver.

16. Vigilant

Vigilant

I have very big hands, and use Pearce +0 pinky extensions. I have no complaints at all. It's an EXCELLENT CCW piece.

Vig

17. The-Fly

The-Fly The Bofh

My G26 shoots about as well as my G17 shoots. A bit more recoil, but still VERY controllable. I can empty the mag in about 3-4 seconds and keep all the shots in the chest area at 7 yards, and I only have about 4 months shooting experience.

18. fastbolt

fastbolt

I prefer the G26 to the G17 or G19, but that's because I wanted the smallest, reasonably controllable, subcompact polymer 9mm pistol I felt was reliable for off-duty usage. I'd seen other, smaller polymer 9mm pistols exhibit functioning issues for their owners on the range, but the G26 owners I'd met all seemed commonly pleased with their pistol's functioning. I happened to like the way the G26 felt and handled when shooting examples belonging to other folks, too.

I find the larger G17, G19 ... and especially the G34 ... to have less perceived recoil than the diminutive G26. Not really significantly, because we're only talking about 9mm caliber pistols, after all ... but I've found it's noticeable enough.

If I was looking for a 'duty-size' pistol that I could also carry off-duty, I'd choose either a G19 or G17, with an eye more toward the G19 ... but for strictly off-duty I wanted the G26.

Not everyone's hand size and perception of felt recoil is the same, however, and some folks simply may not like the G26 ... and that's to be expected, and perfectly fine for them. Glock probably likes to see all of their models sell, anyway.;)

I've fired a few hundred rounds of RA9TA 127gr +P+ & Remington 115gr +P+ through my G26, but for the most part it's been 147gr USA9JHP2, with some small number of 115gr fmj/JHP W-W loads thrown in since they were available in inventory. I've found the G26 cycles briskly and extracts/ejects 'with authority' when I'm using the RA9TA +P+ loads, although there's a bit more perceived recoil and muzzle blast with them. I tend to notice the increased recoil of the +P+ loads more when using them in my metal-framed S&W pistols, like my 3913 & CS9, FWIW, although they're not much more noticeable when using them in my SW99c.

Perceived recoil is still a fairly subjective consideration, though, and while the differences can be measured and quantified in foot/pounds numbers, that often doesn't mean quite as much to some folks when they form an opinion after shooting some specific make/model/caliber/bullet weight themselves, and compare it to another one.

I still find my G27 to have more felt recoil than the +P+ loads in my G26 ... on most days.;)

I've had occasion to compare my G26 to a friend's G30, shooting the 147gr loads in the G26 and 230gr loads in the G30, and let him do the same, and we both felt the G26 was actually more controllable and softer shooting his G30. He was actually surprised he shot my G26 more accurately. That G30 had been his plainclothes & off-duty pistol for quite a while, too. Last I heard, though, he had it up for sale. Dunno what he's going to replace it with ...

Training and technique can mitigate some controllability issues for some folks, but then sometimes a certain pistol/revolver platform just doesn't suit some people. It's not always easy to change, though, if you have no choice with an issued weapon.

I think the G26 is my favorite Glock, BTW ... although my G27 is becoming a close second.

If I could only keep one, it would be the G26.

I realize that none of this probably helps you, but it's just my rambling ... ;)

19. 147 Grain

147 Grain

Thanks to all for your advice and especially to fastbolt who summed things up in an outstanding manner! :)

Steve

20. buddyRoland

buddyRoland Proud Pop

My G26 bites a bit more than my G19 and G17 but it shoots quite sweet. I use multiple grained 9mm ammo from 115 - 147 FMJs and JHPs.