Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Contributions to Katrina’s other victims

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by heyTJ, Sep 14, 2005.

1. heyTJ

heyTJ Giddy up!

475' above sea level
    [] On Behalf Of Jessica Jahiel
    Sent: Friday, September 09, 2005 9:03 PM
    Subject: [HORSE-SENSE] Helping Katrina's equine victims

>From: Tanya
    >Subject: Helping Katrina's equine victims
    >Dear Jessica, I find that I can't even sleep at night, I am so upset
    >the human and animal victims of Hurricane Katrina. I've sent money to
    >of the organizations that are helping people, but I want to send
    >specifically for the horses. I lived down in the New Orleans area for a

>few years, and I know that it's an area with a lot of horses. I'm sure
    >that there must have been a lot of horse owners who couldn't get their
    >horses evacuated, and it's killing me to think about how it must feel
    >wonder where your horses are and if they're even still alive or if
    >standing in filthy water full of snakes. I know this isn't the usual
    >of question for HORSE-SENSE, but could you please, please give me a
    >recommendation of some place that is helping those horses? I won't give

>money to the HSUS because my husband looked them up and found out that
    >almost all of their money goes for lobbying and for huge salaries for
    >their top people. Forget that, I want MY money to go to the HORSES.
    >heard that Day's End is a good organization but I can't find them on
    >What would you suggest, please? Also, I have some co-workers who are
    >at me for wanting to donate money to save animals when I should give it

>all to organizations that save humans. What can I say to them?

Hi Tanya! Yours is one of a LOT of letters from HORSE-SENSE readers, all

asking essentially the same question! People are getting much more savvy

about charitable donations. I'm glad that people are both generous and careful. I, too, prefer to see as much of our donations as possible going to the horses and other animals in need. This is not a situation that will be improved by lobbying - it's fast, direct, on-site, practical assistance that's needed.

Days End, located in Maryland, is a good organization. Its co-founder, Allan Schwartz, is actively involved with the HSUS rescue efforts in this situation. Here's the web site for Days End:

The organization to which I'm sending my contributions is also a good one, located in Texas, and it's very closely involved with relief and rescue of the horses, mules, and donkeys affected by Katrina. This organization is

This is a 501.c.3 (nonprofit) whose territory encompasses Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma. LSER/HFH provides equine rescue services to law enforcement agencies throughout Texas, runs an active equine adoption program and an

equine education center, and provides equine-assisted services to youths

and adults.

And now I'd like to expand on my answer, for the benefit of all those who have written to ask "What can I do?" and also, perhaps for the benefit of those who want to have some way to answer their non-horsey friends, relatives and co-workers who ask "Why would you give to animals when there are HUMANS in need?"

NOBODY is minimizing the importance of helping the human victims of Hurricane Katrina, and I'm sure that all of us have contributed whatever we can to the organizations offering them relief and rescue. But - this is what your co-workers don't understand - it's important for our concern and compassion to reach beyond the humans to the horses and other animals those humans had to leave behind. Naturally our own hearts go out to our fellow horse people and pet owners, because we KNOW how much we care about, and

worry about, the animals we love. They are our friends and our responsibility.

Animals are NOT more important than humans, but they ARE important! Ask any refugee what he or she misses most, and you'll get a list of relatives or friends - AND PETS. Every person who had to leave a cat, dog, horse, or other animal behind is upset about that animal, worried about its condition, and praying to see it again. The organizations that help the animals may be helping the animals directly, but they are also, indirectly, helping the animals' owners. Animals matter. To many owners who may not have many friends or much - or any - family, they matter more than anything.

Do you remember the news report about the little boy who cried until he vomited, because he wasn't allowed to take his dog, Snowball, on the bus

with him? That's a typical animal owner - his anguish over losing his dog, and his worry about where the dog would go and what would hapen to it, have been repeated thousands of times in the last week. I can promise you that no matter what else this little boy may have lost, he will be healthier,

happier, and will recover from Katrina's effects much better and much sooner if someone reunites him with his pet.

Pets make people happy - they give them love and companionship and company and comfort. Petting animals lowers the heart rate of humans - what do you think is happening to the heart rates of humans who have lost so much?
    In a
    terrible situation, instead of having their pet to cuddle, these people have to try not to think about the pet's abandonment and probable fate.
    someone who doesn't care for animals, it seems utterly bizarre that a mature adult human would care more about the loss of a pet than the loss

of, say, a stereo system or a dinette set. To some people, "It was terrible but we all got out" might mean that all the pets had been left behind; to people who care about animals, "It was terrible but we all got out"
    that the family members AND THE PETS have been accounted for. News that "Your house is gone, but we found your dogs", is cause for celebration.
    this behaviour rational, is it logical, is it practical, does it make sense? Not to someone who doesn't care for animals - but I'm sure it makes sense to everyone on the HORSE-SENSE list.

If you're asked why you're donating to animals, just tell the truth:
    Animals matter, and these animals need help. Animals need help in this situation because they are running loose and in danger, or confined without feed or water, and in danger. Owners need help in this situation because

they are unable to look for, let alone rescue, their animals, and they are sick with worry. Many owners were forced to evacuate without their animals; some owners are themselves dead, or injured and helpless in the devastation following the hurricane and flooding. All of us know how terrible it is to be worried about our animals; imagine being even more worried about them
    and unable to find or help them. It's up to the rest of us to help.
    is nothing silly or wrong about giving money or donating supplies to an appropriate animal rescue organization, to help the hundreds (and possibly
    thousands) of horses, mules, and donkeys that are currently injured, starving, or in danger.

Which, at last, brings me to the question of where your money and goods should go. Many of you have written to ask about helping the horses of Louisiana and Mississippi in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. There are many, many organizations asking for donations of money, feed, and equipment. You asked me which one I thought would make the best use of your money, and which one I was supporting - here's my answer. This does NOT mean that there aren't other good organizations - if you know of good ones, don't hesitate to support them! - but you asked me where MY money is going.
    My money is going to a group that, to my mind, has several big advantages when it comes to GETTING THE JOB DONE: It is on the spot, well-organized, experienced, has official permission to do their work, and is able to work efficiently with the local, state, and federal authorities.

Lone Star Equine Rescue/Habitat for Horses (LSER/HFH) is an exceptionally well-organized group based in Texas. LSER/HFH is taking sensible, practical steps to do the most good in the least amount of time with the least amount of fuss. I'll summarize the latest information from the organization:

As of Tuesday 6 September, Lone Star Equine Rescue/Habitat for Horses has been authorized to begin assisting the governing authorities in rescuing

horses. Two teams consisting of three LSER/HFH trained volunteers, one Veterinarian and one Veterinarian Assistant, are permitted to enter areas damaged by Katrina, and are allowed a limited amount of time in the area to conduct the initial rescue operation. After the initial effort, the teams will be allowed to rotate through, with each team working for four days until every affected horse, mule, and donkey has been retrieved.

The animals will be taken to the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales, Louisiana, where evaluation and medical assistance will be provided by Veterinarians from Louisiana State University. If they are not claimed by their owners whilst they are still at the Center, they may be transported to other locations for recovery.

This is an all-volunteer effort and is completely dependent on donations.
    Those donations come from corporations, organizations, and individuals -

and that's where we at HORSE-SENSE can help. ;-)

What do they need? First and foremost, MONEY. We're all horse people here, we're all familiar with the costs of horse equipment, transportation, and medical care - and we can all multiply those costs by hundreds and possibly thousands of horses - many of them injured, ill, starving, and some dehydrated as well. It's going to take a lot to meet their needs. So - send MONEY, please, if you can. You can send other items as well - feed, medical supplies, halters and lead ropes (new ones preferred, for medical reasons).
    Also buckets, tarps - imagine what you would need to retrieve YOUR hungry, thirsty, injured horse from a swamp, and go from there. The LSER/HFH website is maintaining a list of most-needed items and a list of drop-off locations. If you have feed or supplies to donate, but there's no drop-off location near you, it's very likely that someone in your area may be putting together a truckload of hay, feed, and supplies; check the bulletin boards at your local tack shop and feed mill, and keep an eye on the announcements in your local newspaper. If someone you know, or an organization you trust, is packing trucks and planning to take a load south, don't miss a chance to add your contributions to that load.
    that truck finally stops, whatever you can give will help someone. As an

example: LSER/HFH isn't in dire need of hay right now, but there's an organization based several hours north of my farm that is making regular

trips south with truckloads of needed items, including hay; I've contributed 100 bales of hay for its next trip.

If you want to donate to LSER/HFH, you can read about the post-Katrina relief efforts and make PayPal donations at this site:

You can also make donations at

Their snail-mail address: Habitat for Horses/Lone Star Equine Rescue, P.O.
    Box 213, Hitchcock, TX 77563

Thank you for asking - Tanya and everyone else who has written to HORSE-SENSE about this matter. Once again, this is certainly not the ONLY good horse/mule/donkey rescue organization, but it's in an ideal position to do effective work, and you can donate to it in confidence, knowing that your money and other contributions will be put to good use.

* To submit a question for possible inclusion in the HORSE-SENSE Newsletter, please e-mail:
    * To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change your email address, please visit