close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Contrast Showers, Cold Showers, etc.

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DBradD, Jan 3, 2007.

1. DBradD

DBradD

Any of you guys ever tried this stuff to speed recovery from workouts? Some of the CrossFit guys swear by these, so I've tried them some (about 5-6 times) lately. I have to say that I can't tell even the slightest difference in soreness, recovery time, etc. I just froze myself half to death and then felt the same!

Am I the only one? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. I tried alternating 30 seconds hot then 30 seconds cold; and just cold for the entire shower.

Some of the guys type things like "it all turned around for me when I started taking contrast showers," but I've started wondering if they're using democrat logic, incorrectly identifying a cause-and-effect relationship. They might've just gotten to that point that soreness stops being a constant state of being, about the time they became aware enough to try contrast showers.

Also, supposedly folks who do things like take swims in really cold water are healthier. The first thing that crossed my mind was that a physically (mentally--now that's another story!) unhealthy person wouldn't try swimming in freezing water, skewing the stats.

Anyway...thoughts?

2. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

I haven't tried the contrast showers, but I did try the ice bath that was recommended on Crossfit. I bought a couple bags of ice and a six pack of Bud. I dumped in the ice and filled the tub with water. I got in for about 1 second - ouch! Got out and drank the Bud.

I have been so sore from my combination of Strongman training and Crossfit that I tried some Muscle Milk. I picked it off the shelf at GNC because it had no lactose. I was amazed at how less sore I feel. I've been able to crank the training back up and stretch out most of the soreness.

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Jack,

I'd sure like to hear your approach to mixing Xfit and Strongman training. Please post some details.

Jack

4. DBradD

DBradD

About 1 second :rofl: That's probably about 0.999 sec. longer than I would've lasted. I hate to freeze worse than about anything, so if there is not a huge payoff, then I think I'll just stay sore longer!

BTW, how long have you been doing CF? I've been at it about 2.5 months and CalJack is at about 6 weeks if I remember correctly. I'm personally finding it to be a little hard to stay healthy, but I love it otherwise

5. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

http://powerandbulk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7960

http://strengthathlete.blogspot.com/

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/20/16939.html

Not related to strongman/crossfit but here's another excellent resource in case you haven't seen it before:

http://www.physicalstrategies.blogspot.com/

Hey Guys, Here's a few links that can explain it better than I can. The process is called Crossfit Blackbox ME and allows you to tailor Crossfit to your own needs. As far as the Strongman portion goes, I just use my imagination and substitute a strongman implement for a normal piece of equipment. I've got a steel log, a couple of beer kegs, a tractor tire, and a trap bar along with all the standard stuff. Maybe it would be better to call it a Crossfit/Dino Training hybrid. Sometimes, I also throw some heavy bag work in there instead of the Crossfit metabolic workouts.

I did Crossfit for a year or so but had trouble recovering (I'm 50), so I switched to olympic lifting and then to the Crossfit Blackbox/Strongman/Dino training program so I can work some Crossfit into my training to keep my fitness levels up. Jack

6. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

While not for me. I have seen wrestlers dunk themselves in ICE COLD water. I have always thought that these guys were NUTS. But they swear by this method of recovery. NOT FOR ME! TO DANG COLD!;)