close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Contractors: Necessity of using Kilz?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by vart, Apr 28, 2012.

1. vart

vart

I had carpet in my master bedroom that was 12 years old and had gone through 2 puppies being house broken.

Even after steam cleaning, there were still stains and smell.

I bought tile to replace the carpet, and some oil-based Kilz to coat the particle board flooring.

I pulled the carpet today and found dead mold on the wood where the washer had overflowed and flooded about a 10 sq ft area.

I scraped off the mold and assessed the rest of the floor and found only a couple of spots where dog urine had gone through both the carpet and the padding.

I'm putting down 1/2" cement board, then the 3/8" tile over the wood floor.

What will the Kilz do for me? Is it necessary to protect against odor or is it going to be overkill?

2. Lone Wolf8634

Lone Wolf8634 :):

It'll probably be overkill.

BUT

It's better than getting your nice tile floor finished and smelling mold and puppy pee afterwords. Since you got it, use it.

BTW, we just tiled our kitchen and used this instead of concrete board:
    http://www.schluter.com/6_1_ditra.aspx

3. Easterbrook

Easterbrook Wagon Burner

Yeah, might as well ues it-- it'll be super quick to apply and you already have it.

That kilz is magical stuff. I refinished apartments every summer for 6 or 7 summers. We'd go into an apartment where a smoker lived for 20 years. Walls would be yellow. But we'd tear out the carpet, apply kilz to the walls, ceiling and floor, recarpet and paint. Next tenant would have no idea a smoker lived there.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  4. dango

dango

If it were me , I'd 50% water 50% bleach before I use any sealer
    or the mold , it will continue to grow.

5. kiole

kiole

I'd probably cut out the sub floor and glue and screw osb in to replace the damaged areas.

6. vart

vart

Just got done doing the Kilz...

The area that was the worst was near the entrance to the bedroom from the hall, which is the only area that had water damage.

So the carpet would be even with the hardwood in the hall, the installers raised up the floor using cement leveler and cedar shakes(??!!).

I took out all of the leveler and shakes and the underlying sub floor was in great shape, so I just used the Kilz...

I have to have the master bedroom tiled and put back together before my wife gets back the 1st week of June, so I'm thankful the sub floor looked so good.

Mold isn't usually a problem out here in AZ with such low humidity levels, so I'm confident removing it and coating the area with Kilz will take care of it.

Only one room left in the house with carpet and I will tackle that this Fall...

7. Haldor

Haldor Formerly retired EE.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  8. liscomb20

liscomb20

in my 15 years of painting I use kilz all the time on mold. Kilz actually kills mold particles and like other post it kills smell and odor. Just make sure it isnt the odorless kind because that stuff is a joke might as well just cover it with water if your going to use that. Alot of people just try and cover up pet urine with other things like carpet shampoo and varies other products but they dont realize is that not only does it go through the carpet and pad but also into the subfloor so using kilz on the subfloor is a good idea before you put anything over it becasue the smell will come back

9. vart

vart

Yeah, I used the good stuff; oil-based...

I had the room ventilated pretty well and it still stunk up the upstairs and gave me a headache...

But there is no pet odor... I just hope the cement board and tile cover up the Kilz smell...:supergrin:

10. liscomb20

liscomb20

Getting a headache with kilz is just one of the perks :supergrin: the smell usually goes away once it drys usually a day or so I always just used some latex paint over it to seal the smell but cement board might also work just keep it ventalated and a fan doesn't hurt