close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Continuing Dumb Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by pascal, Jan 12, 2010.

1. pascal

pascal

Howdy Gentlemen,
    Well I've contacted Acer who says that the unit is out of warranty and unless I want to spend $60 for a minimum payed tech support I'm outa luck. Contacted LG who live talked me through a complete new install. No luck. He advised that the video card which is an SiS 661FX/GX Mirage Graphics built into the motherboard was not compatible even with the LG drivers which should provide me with 1360 X 768, it is hooked up analog with VGA cable.
    It appears that I have some sort of AGP port, it's orange and I don't know the differences, and it also appears I have what are PCI ports available in the computer. My son-in-law attempted to put an old card he had but it was PCI-2? Again unfamiliar with the new standards.
    What would you knowledgeable people suggest as a Video card that will work and give me higher resolution than 1024 X 768? I have another port on the monitor probably some sort of HD input. Again the problem is that any resolution over 1024X768 is larger than the display screen and it must be scrolled to see the entire display. I don't want to spend a lot on this computer and currently can't afford a new one. Help please.
    pascal

2. zodiacbw

zodiacbw

What is the make/model of the monitor you're using?

It sounds like the native resolution of the monitor is 1024x768 and it doesn't like to display anything higher. If that's the case, you may just need a new monitor.

3. pascal

pascal

Hello zodiacbw,
    It is a new in the box LG W1943TB. It claims that it's native resolution is 1360 X 768. It just that all higher resolutions than 1024 X 768 extend beyond the borders of the visible screen. You can scroll by touching the screen side or top and it will show you what there. But you can't have the trashcan and the taskbar on screen at the same time. Aggravating. Thanks for your response and any insight you can give.
    pascal

4. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Set the resolution you want, then look in the product manual for the "Auto Adjust"(these are either going to be either buttons on your monitor, or on your monitors on screen display, if it has one)... It should make everything fit on screen w/o scrolling.

IGF

5. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Some information on the internet suggest that your graphics (video) BIOS can be updated for higher resolutions and a "universal" driver for that video chipset can be used. I'm not sure how much more resolution it will go though. Edit I think it will go to 1440x900 resolution.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Windows is setting the resolution he wants(if I understand correctly).. the problem is, the monitor is not recognizing it. His whole "screen" is not on the monitor, and when he moves his mouse(for instance) to the right... the screen moves to show the rest of the desktop, as opposed to showing it all w/o the "scrolling"..

Again, this is assuming I've understood this correctly.

IGF

7. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

There is a certain video driver required and the "VBIOS" video bios may need to be updated.

8. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Latest UniVGA3 driver

SIS UniVGA3 Graphics Driver 3.85

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GRAPHICS-BOARD/SIS/SIS-UniVGA3-Graphics-Driver-385.shtml

This is for Windows XP.

9. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

10. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

11. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

Acer drivers here.

http://support.acer.com/

Uninstall your current driver in device manager. Then, boot into safe mode and install the SiS driver. Reboot and start Windows normally and see if you can get that resolution.

12. pascal

pascal

Hello Gentlemen,

I can not pick that particular resolution from the options as it doesn't exist (1360 X 768), there is higher or lower. I have hit the auto/set button and it just states that for optimal image resolution change resolution to the one I can't pick. :crying:

I have XP Home. After I get to Advanced there is no option for administrator or product information. But I'm not logged in as Admin but as a user with all permissions. Is there another way to discover it?

I appreciate you help and will follow your lead.
    pascal

13. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Then its a driver issue...

IGF

14. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

If you can't see the video bios you can't be sure how far you are from fixing it.

15. pascal

pascal

Hello,
    I've found some information which may be appropriate.
    Display: LG W1943(Analog) on SiS 661FX/GX Mirage Graphics

Chip Type: SiS
    DAC Type: Internal
    Memory Size: 64MB
    Adapter String: Mirage
    BIOS Information: 2.30.00

Driver Version: 6.14.10.3860

Will this help?

Yes IGF that is correct!

pascal

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  16. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

It looks like you have driver version 3.86. There is a newer one, 3.90 listed above. Follow the instructions and see if it's any better.

17. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

What exact model Acer PC is it? There are some patched (third party?) video bios available for wide screen monitors with that video chipset.

18. pascal

pascal

Hello and thanks again,
    First I wanted to advise you that the LG came with updated drivers so I did and it is now 6.14.10.3900. I had done that before with no luck but wanted to be up to date with your advice.
    The Acer is an Aspire SA80 Desktop.
    So far I have not seen the exact video designation 661FX\GX Mirage Graphics on any site with updates. I do not know if this is important or not, there are 661FX and such.
    I sure hope you can help. You have really been a valuable asset to me and the forum.
    pascal

19. GIockGuy24

GIockGuy24 Bring M&M's

I don't see any work-arounds for that one. Maybe you could find a cheap Nvidia based video card. I think that PC has AGP.