Contest-eze translation?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by InjuriousGeorge, Mar 2, 2007.

1. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

New general here. I've been trying to listen to some contest and QSO party dialog but it's hard when you can usually only hear 1 side of the conversation.

Contacted a 4000-mile distant station, he repeated my call sign gave me a 59, then he said, "K". What is "K?" Is that "K" as in CW "K" as in your turn to go?

2. martho

martho Guest

The letter is power rating

K or KW = Kilowatt 1000w

The contest exchange is RST and power for DX. US stations give RST state

3. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Thanks!

Is there a reference for this type stuff?

4. martho

martho Guest

5. martho

martho Guest

REMEMBER

In this contest, you can only work stations outside of the US.
    US can only work DX and DX can only work US.

This is one of the best contests of the year.

6. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Yes, it is a great contest. I'm keeping a log but I'm not keeping score. I'm just getting my rig broken in.

I've got mechanical collins SSB & CW filters coming in, a SignaLink for digital modes and I just bought a 12 pack of carbon fiber arrows to help get a line up about 20' more on either end of the G5RV.

I'm thinking about selling an AR...

7. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

It's terrible that there are no cheap hobbies out there, isn't it?
    ;)

8. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Anyone work a Cuban station? I got almost every independent country from the Carribean & central America.

9. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

I was at W5WP's house today while they were working Cuba but they couldn't get Jamaica and they hadn't heard Haiti in there at all. China was in last night and they turned the beam north over the pole but couldn't make the contact there either. They were about 5000 points shy of 700,000 when I left about 4:30 today.

Lots of new Generals on the air today trying to make US-US contacts which was a waste of everyone's time.

10. martho

martho Guest

I just did a very casual effort. I worked 41 DXCC on 20m and 32 on 15m and 2 new on 80m. I spent about 2 hours total in the contest.

Hopefully most of those Qs will show up on LoTW as I need them for band countries. I am trying to work my way to challenge. I have 1107 band countries, but only 611 confirmed.

As for the /AG on the air. It is our duty to instruct them how to work these contests. While I agree it can be a waste of time for someone on a run, we have to help them. I heard a /AG calling CQ the other day on 14.195. I explained the DX window to him and that before the license changes, the General privs ended at .225 (I dont know where they end now, but encouraged him to look) We were all new once. Be thankful the /AG are not sitting around on midcars or some net. At least some of the newbies have an interest in chasing countries.

11. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

Like Austin Powers said, "That's not my bag, baby!"

12. martho

martho Guest

You can work all states in a weekend during any contest. You can work DXCC in a couple contests. You can work hundreds of counties if you work the QSO parties throughout the year. Why people use nets for DX, states and/or counties I will never understand.

I have worked 51 DX entities since 2/12/07 on CW in the car. I did not operate the contests from the car to cherry pick the easy ones, either.

While we may be at the low part of the cycle, 15m 17m 20m 30m and 40m provide excellent paths on a daily basis to just about every part of the world. When BS7H comes in April, there will be a path to that part of the world, too. Those who say the bands are poor and there is no DX are wrong. Sure, 10m doesn't have much action, but I worked ZL and VK on 12 in the last couple months. This weekend there were some N/S paths to LU and PY on 10.

InjuriousGeorge, how many DX entities did you work this weekend?

13. InjuriousGeorge

InjuriousGeorge

A few dozen. I probably spent a good 2-3 hours operating over the weekend. I'm surprised I picked up so much of the Carribean -- my wire runs almost due north-south.

I've heard about BS7H on the repeater. That's going to be one mother of a pile-up.

I have worked AK and HI clear as a bell on 20 with 100W phone. I'm interested to see how much further it'll propagate.