close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Contemplating an upgrade...

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by aspartz, Jan 10, 2006.

1. aspartz

aspartz

I'm currently running on a box I built about 4 years ago.
    P4 1.8/400fsb
    1g PC2700 (2 unmatched sticks)
    GForce 4400ti video
    SIS 645 chipset.

I'm deciding how far to advance.

Choice 1:
    Intel 865PE based board. This will allow me to keep my current processor and RAM. I doubt the unmatched pair will let me use dual channel. This will also let me keep my current video card. The processor and ram can be upgraded to a faster bus when I get the urge to spend more cash.

Choice 2:
    Intel 945P based board. I will have to replace almost everything. Adding a dual core CPU should increase power.

complication: I'm not a big video gamer. Most of my games are Mame based. The only "modern" game I play is Civ III/IV. It is a rare case when my CPU is pegged at 100%.

Question 1: Is the extra cash really worth a speedy box that will spend most of its time waiting for me or running seti.

Question 2: Any experience with the two above chipsets?

Question 3: The latter seems to require BOTH a 24 PIN ATX v2.x power connector and a 4 pin P4 connector. Am I missing something? Most ATX v2 Power Supplies seem to only offer the former.

ARS

2. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

You have a socket 478 1.8GHz?

The 865 is (unfortunately) a complete dead end. Going that route with the intention of upgrading is kinda silly.

PCIe video cards and LGA775 Celerons aren't terribly expensive.

The DDR2 is a bit of an investment, but not horrid, either.

Intel is pretty much sucking hind tit these days though, unless you spend a boatload of cash on an EE chip. This should change in about 6mo.

You could go with an AMD socket 939 board that takes pseudo-AGP AND PCIe, as well as regular DDR modules, like this or this. They're a bit hokey, and still have to buy a CPU, but they at least give you an upgrade path.

Is your current box not doing what you need it to do?

Most of the newest spiffy PSUs have the 24pin main plug as well as the +12 P4 plug, plus various plugs for PCIe video cards and SATA drives.

3. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

at all.

this is the ideal place to say '6 more months is 6 free months' and time for prices on the next generation stuff to drop.

limp along a while if you can.

when you build, put in a 30% over spec power supply, 5 year warranty drives, and yes, a gig of ram and one video card is plenty. ;g

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I agree on waiting as long as you can as well...it does get tempting though :p

If mild gaming desribes you at best I would also consider an AMD based microATX board from MSI or ASUS with onboard GeForce 6150 or ATI X300 graphics. Both come with PCIExpress slot for later upgrade if needed.

5. aspartz

aspartz

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking the same thing inRE the 865 option.

However, due to some mental defect, I just do not like AMD. I can't explain why, it's kind of a Ford/Chevy thing for me.

I may wait a bit and see what happens development wise. I am a mild game player only, but usually onboard video has been inadequate for the few I play (or they haven't historically like Linux). I also do a great deal of work w/ office so cpu power is not unimportant. (One set of spreadsheets currently takes ~15-20 seconds to recalculate). I also have a shareware POS that I cannot find a better replacement for that does not work & play well with others and likes to spike its CPU use to 100% so at LEAST hyperthreading is desirable.

ARS

6. ngray

ngray

I'd leave the pc as it is, use it as an alternate pc, or hand it down.

It's not worth the performance hit mismatching generations like that. Get a matched cpu/mobo/ram set that's designed to perform together.

Just IMO.