Contact lenses need help from the peeps....

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by .264 magnum, Feb 16, 2010.

1. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'm not a candidate for eye surgery. And for all sorts of reasons I'd like to try contacts.

I have contact "fitting" appointment tomorrow.

My eye glasses impact my shooting to a degree - I'm hoping contacts will not.

What say you guys/gals? Thanks.

2. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

I prefer daily disposables, no worries about cleaning and keeping track how old they are. I use Acuvue Moist. It's more expensive to use dailys, but I don't wear them every day, so it's not an issue.

3. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

I dont know what your age is. Age makes a big difference for some people. You cant teach an old dog new tricks saying.

I love my contacts for hunting. Dont have to worry about them boggling arount on your face when going through rough terrain or thick trees.

Dont have to worry about them fogging up and I think you will like the ease of looking through scopes and bi-knocks.

Just remember, It takes time and practice to get them in and out.

It took me quite a few months to be able to do it comfortably.

If you give it a good chance, I think you will like them.

Any other questions.

4. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'm 46.
    My wife says I look "old" when I wear my glasses. I don't give much of a rip about that. Shooting, taking pics with my camera, boating etc. are all impacted by my glasses.

5. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Thanks man. My doc uses daily disposables himself.

6. Ersatz

Ersatz

Not all disposables are made equal. Your optometrist will likely have several different brands for you to try. I'd suggest trying them all. The feeling is strange enough without having to also deal with a contact lens your eye doesn't like. I like Accuvue Oasis brand lenses, but your mileage may vary.

Don't let the discomfort you feel in the beginning discourage you. That feeling WILL go away. That said, pain and discomfort are two differentthings.

7. Viper16

Viper16

I like the ones you can go to bed in at night for like a week or so. I've used the ones that last a year, but are not recommended. I would go for the monthlies and see how you like them.

8. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Noted, thank you.

9. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Like I said, you will like them if you just give them a chance.

Its kinda frustrating and tough to get them in and out at first but eventually you will get it down.
    Contacts will make all those things you listed above easier.

My fiance works for an optomatrist and she says the older people just dont want to try and the get to frustrated when they cant do it the first time so they decide to just keep their glasses.

Go in with an open mind and give it a fair chance. Try them everyday for at least a month, this should give you a good feel for what their like.

FYI, It took me a good year of trying different techniques of putting them in before I could comfortably do it without it frustrating me.

It didnt take near this long for other friends though. Everyone is a little different.

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

Thanks.

11. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

I'll give it a whirl.

12. Toml

Toml

If you are wearing bifocals you can ask for toric lenses. Lenses are weighted to allow them to provide split prescriptions. I use soft disposables (30-day) with a distance lens in my dominant eye and a reading lens in my non-dominant eye. I'm willing to accept the slight compromise for the convenience of not wearing glasses at all.

13. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

Toric lenses are for astigmatism.

14. 2afreedom

2afreedom

I have lenses that I replace every two months or so. I cannot stand to sleep in them because they feel really dry in the morning. I have also found that wearing them for more than about twelve hours at a time is uncomfortable especially if the heat or a/c is drying out the air in the room. I keep a cheap pair of glasses for when my lenses dry out. With all that said I like my lenses much better than glasses and it's nice not to have glasses hanging off my face all the time. It will take you some time to get used to them but in my opinion it's worth it.