Conspiracy Nuts

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by StarShip2100, Nov 6, 2010.

1. void *

void * Dereference Me!

It not mattering much whether it's true or not, in the example, does not change that it is *exactly* parallel with respect to belief and knowledge. Given that belief and knowledge are the areas in which I'm trying to make the point, the fact that it lacks gravitas is irrelevant.

I see this to some extent analogous to you objecting that someone notes the speed of two objects in freefall is the same because one happens to be a stuffed bunny and the other a safe - "The safe will do more damage when it hits, so even though we've been talking about speed, and they both have the same speed, I'm going to ignore that they have matched speeds!!!"

So rather than actually answering the questions, so you can gain insight in to my actual perspective - I get back veiled statements implying you think I'm a drug user?

Joking or otherwise, the impression I'm getting is that you don't actually want to understand the point. So - that being the case - there's not much point continuing, is there?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  2. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

Science is one of the funny items I see with the issues of religion. If there is nothing more to the body then molecules and atoms, how does one explain the existance of reason and sentient thought?

A mass of molecules does not in and of itself has reason.

3. void *

void * Dereference Me!

The mass of molecules that is in your brain is in a particular arrangement by which external stimuli get responses. That arrangement is complex enough to allow us to think and perceive a self.

That does not a-priori exclude the possibility that consciousness is an emergent property of a particular arrangement of matter, nor that the physical processes, in the presence of energy (looking out my window at the sunset), could cause matter to self-organize into such an arrangment.

We see simple examples of self-organization by physical processes all the time. Stones get sorted by size in streambeds, air self-organizes into storms with distinctly nonrandom air movement (hurricanes, etc). We also have a ton of energy coming into our system (the earth) from the Sun. We don't have a good basis to state that there's a limit on such self-organization.

Can we conclusively state at this time that it's self-organized complexity? No. However, neither can we automatically say it's not. If the response is to say 'a deity did it' rather than ask the questions and try to figure it out, we have zero chance of finding out in a scientific sense.

4. StarShip2100

StarShip2100 Futurist

Thats very true, however -

science had the tendency to rule out any form of higher intelligence, a position that puts man as god in terms of knowledge.

Religion typically does not rule out science as a means to knowledge nor cure and benefit. Going back to the wager, I would wager there are things man will nevr know.

5. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

OK, atheist/theist threads bore me to tears but I'm still checking back for pics of yesterday's nuclear attack. That we all know must have happened and we're experiencing a media blackout.

Or was it just that is was in Detroit and no one noticed?

6. void *

void * Dereference Me!

No, no - like I said, they've been waiting for people to call it out beforehand, so they could cancel the op and make those people look dumb. ;)

7. wavetrain75

wavetrain75 Useless Member

So you're saying we should invade Iran?

8. Originalsin

Originalsin

So, Atheism is a religion, huh?

Ok.

Might drop by the recruiting office for the Army later today, and tell them I want to sign up as an Atheist Chaplain. I'm sure their response would be interesting.

9. DocwithGlock

DocwithGlock

Depending on your training that would be either a 60W or 60G in the US Army, not sure about down under.:dunno: