close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Considering switching from .40 to 9mm, am I crazy?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Ocean_glocker, Mar 15, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Hey everyone,
    my wife and I currently have 2 27's and a 22 that we carry and shoot in GSSF. I eventually got into reloading to save on ammo and down load .40 to be a little more recreationally friendly, especially for the wife.

I recently was at the range with a buddy and I shot his 17 with factory ammo and it felt great and I grouped Very well with it.

Which got me thinking if we might be better off shooting 9mm instead of .40. Sure minor reloads are ok for the range, they weren't as accurate. But more importantly I'm thinking my wife might be A LOT more comfortable shooting full power defensive loads out of the 9mm.

I originally got into .40s because of the terminal energy potential, but with current ammo offerings that gap is a little smaller.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  2. yrbender

yrbender

Yes, get the 10 mm

3. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Sure why not? I like 9mm and it is cheaper too.

:wavey:

4. MO Fugga

MO Fugga Malt Liqra® Lifetime Member

Whatever it takes to get the most rounds on target the fastest. If it's a 9, then so be it. :wavey:

5. spartanranger

spartanranger

Thanks to modern defensive ammo loads, there is very little difference between the .40 and 9mm. There is always the possibility of a slight edge going to the .40 if the round fails to expand or going through mediums such as auto windshields, but that is only a small edge that is balanced by faster follow-up shots and more mag capacity on the 9mm side. Just remember that there is still the on-going 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debates because there is no clear cut answer in which is the best.

Personally, I dropped my .40 to have all 9mms. The wife loves shooting her G19 and I love my G17. Its cheaper and much more fun to practice with, and the practice will build confidence in your gun and your ability to shoot with it.

The ability to put rounds where it counts is what really matters. I remember talking to a suspect in the hospital that had taken a .45 to the chest. I saw his x-ray that clearly showed the expanded slug. He was talking normally and you wouldn't even have known he had been shot just looking at him.

All that is to say that if you feel more accurate and comfortable with one caliber over another use it! (.22 would be pushing it though lol)

6. DannyII

DannyII

I think of 9mm vs. .40 sort of the same way I think of the 26 vs. 19 argument.

With the right baseplates, you can make the small 26 the same size as the 19, but not vice versa.

With the right ammo, you can make the 26 darn close to the .40 ballistically, but not vice versa.

7. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I don't like shooting the 40. It is a snappy little thing and the brief impulse (versus a more drawn out impulse like the .45 ACP) is not a lot of fun.

I have an XD9 and it is a lot of fun to shoot. It eats everything and the recoil is much more manageable. I just loaded 1000 147 gr and I'll be loading 2000 124 gr next week.

If I were shooting any of the competitions where 9's are king, I sure wouldn't be shooting a 40.

Richard

8. TX expat

TX expat

I made the same switch. After a lot of range time with my .40 I accepted that I was better with the 9mm. The increased capacity and speed/accuracy, for me, was greater than the loss in projectile weight and velocity.

9. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Nothing wrong with 9mm at all. If I only had one caliber that's what it would be.

The capacity argument is pretty much silly. 13 rounds vs 15. Really?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  10. 1-2man

1-2man Part Time

I alternate between a G19 & G23. I'm confident with either should the need arise.

11. jay1975

jay1975 Ultra Master

I went from a die hard 45 guy to a 9mm guy. Accuracy, follow up shots and capacity are more important to me than the mythical "knock down power". Shot placement is key and if your first shot isn't on it, then you need a quick follow up. As others have said, the 40 at defensive power is just too snappy for a good follow up, especially in a stock service pistol.

12. spartanranger

spartanranger

13 rounds vs 17 for me. That's another 30% more rounds. And in some LE shooting courses I have done, even a couple more rounds can make a huge difference. After all, the quickest reload is one you don't have to do.

So you can say its silly, but in a gunfight you probably wouldn't complain about the extra rounds.

13. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

Hmmmmmm :dunno: I went from 9 to 40 because it is more fun to reload. But I do shoot both.

14. Ocean_glocker

Ocean_glocker

Yeah, I know. But this isn't one of those debates, I have Glocks of all sizes and I accept that 9mm and .40 are close.

This is what I was thinking..

Thanks everyone for your input, I think I see some Glock trading in my future.

edt: before anyone else brings it up, buying aftermarket barrel is out of the question for me, I like to stay OEM with glocks

15. BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

16. RowdyatHeart

RowdyatHeart

If you are more comfortable with it go for it but I would not trade in my guns at a loss to do it. I would either sell them for what I paid for them or save my money and get the 9's but that is just me, I have literally lost thousands by trading guns an as I approach my 48th year on earth, I don't do it any more.

If Obama is re-elected you will be able to sell your .40's for what you paid for them when the shortages hit. Timing and patience.

17. scattershot

scattershot

Get conversion barrels for the pistols you have, then you can switch back and forth.

18. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

Same here. Although I still carry a .45 on duty. I carry a 19 daily when I leave the house. It's crazy how much easier the 9 is to shoot 1 handed and support handed. Doesn't hurt that the 17 is 19+1 with the + base pad.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

19. djegators

djegators

When I first got my G23, I was skeptical. But then I found that I shot it quite well, so it has been my primary ccw for the last few years. But now I am starting to lean towards going all 9mm myself. Overall I shoot them a bit more consistently, I like the commonality of mags and ammo, and so on. So no, it is not crazy at all.

20. ronin.45

ronin.45

Yup^^