Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some intel on what people with some experience are using for powder & shot . Finding recent beer virus is causing stupid pricing & availability. I have been a pistol reloader for a while now ( 25+years) do to 10 mm cost.
ya
I’ve found some sources for components but never dealt with any of them . This is probably what I need is good sources of 00# lead & rifled slugs. Preferred powders?
I’ve read you need to follow recipes closely ( that seems to be a debated topic) and what is up with all the different color wads . I could see if that’s due to wt. coding?

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I have some of the same questions. Current prices of lead shot make reloading not super cost effective. I've been on the lookout for estate sales of shot, and shot does pop up on Craigslist now and then.

My thought is that if I find some deals on a critical mass of let shot, I'll get going on it.

·
DFC, MSM, 12 Air Medals.
10,190 Posts
Don’t know about 00 and slugs, but 12 and 20 gauge with about any size bird shoot is cheaper to buy factory. 410 and 28 are a different story.By the time you figure on the press and buying all of the components you need to be doing a lot of shotgun shooting. But if you still want to get into shotgun reloading you might look at your local skeet and trap clubs some of them do club buys and at times people have reloaders for sale and components they no longer want....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that I could buy shotgun shells cheaper than I could reload them.
I can see that sometimes that’s a fair statement. I’m retired and enjoy this kind of thing . Also I get tired of all the bs of supply/demand/politics involved
Don’t know about 00 and slugs, but 12 and 20 gauge with about any size bird shoot is cheaper to buy factory. 410 and 28 are a different story.By the time you figure on the press and buying all of the components you need to be doing a lot of shotgun shooting. But if you still want to get into shotgun reloading you might look at your local skeet and trap clubs some of them do club buys and at times people have reloaders for sale and components they no longer want....
Good idea, we got a sportsman club. Didn’t think of this due to doing my shooting at home.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Really got into sporting clays and 5 stand for 2 or 3 years. For 12 gauge bird shotshells it just didn't make sense to reload, and this is from a guy that reloads 9mm. "OO" and slugs I never looked into.

Reactions: DubfromGA

·
Registered
13,957 Posts
I purchased a Mec Sizemaster a few years ago. Not really to save money (12 gauge) but just as another hobby.
I started out reloading as a teenager on a Mec Jr. We loaded shells for trap shooting and hunting.
My new sizemaster is sitting on my reloading bench. I haven't loaded any shotgun shells in some time. Still working on my last batch. I look forward to loading shells some time in the future.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I’ve shot skeet, trap and sporting clays for 40 years. Have reloaded all gauges on progressive loaders. The economics have changed dramatically. Primarily due to shot prices over the last several years, I no longer reload 12 gauge, even though I shoot a lot of them. I buy them, usually the Federal 4-packs at Walmart. They cost very little more than my 12 gauge reloads, so why bother. You can still save an appreciable amount reloading 28 gauge and .410. If you’re comfortable reloading for handguns, you won’t have any problems loading shotshells.

I’ve never loaded 00, but have loaded slugs (Lyman and Lee) that I cast myself. Never could get the accuracy out of my slug guns (rifled and smoothbore) with reloads that I get with factory slug loads.

·
Registered
48 Posts
looking for some intel on what people with some experience are using for powder & shot . Finding recent beer virus is causing stupid pricing & availability. I have been a pistol reloader for a while now ( 25+years) do to 10 mm cost.
ya
I’ve found some sources for components but never dealt with any of them . This is probably what I need is good sources of 00# lead & rifled slugs. Preferred powders?
I’ve read you need to follow recipes closely ( that seems to be a debated topic) and what is up with all the different color wads . I could see if that’s due to wt. coding?
You might try these guys
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lead-Buckshot/products/65/

·
Registered
214 Posts
i reload 12 and .410 on separate mec 600 jr's, looking to get a hornady 366 for 12.

here are my shotshell cost breakdowns:

.410: store $11/box, reloads $3.78/box!

[store win AA 12 are generally $8/box by the flat, but there is the winchester rebate in the summer]

12 reloads (i use claybuster wads and can get win 209 primers for a little less than 3¢/each):

12 (7/8 oz, alliant xtra-light): $4.76/box
12 (1 1/8 oz, international clays): $5.43/box

so if i shoot a flat of the 1 1/8, i save $26; a flat of the 7/8, $33. that's enough savings for a beer and a burger for a buddy and i after shooting.

as for the time--"opportunity costs": with the mec's i can load a flat in less than 1.5 hours. i expect the 366 to be a half hour or so for a flat.

remember, i'm getting my beer and burger for "free".

[i reload 9mm for less than 9¢/round...think of all the beer and burgers i can get after shooting 9mm!]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i reload 12 and .410 on separate mec 600 jr's, looking to get a hornady 366 for 12.

here are my shotshell cost breakdowns:

.410: store $11/box, reloads $3.78/box!

[store win AA 12 are generally $8/box by the flat, but there is the winchester rebate in the summer]

12 reloads (i use claybuster wads and can get win 209 primers for a little less than 3¢/each):

12 (7/8 oz, alliant xtra-light): $4.76/box
12 (1 1/8 oz, international clays): $5.43/box

so if i shoot a flat of the 1 1/8, i save $26; a flat of the 7/8, $33. that's enough savings for a beer and a burger for a buddy and i after shooting.

as for the time--"opportunity costs": with the mec's i can load a flat in less than 1.5 hours. i expect the 366 to be a half hour or so for a flat.

remember, i'm getting my beer and burger for "free".

[i reload 9mm for less than 9¢/round...think of all the beer and burgers i can get after shooting 9mm!]
Thanks , your doing much better than my cost projections for 9mm . Where you getting your 9 mm bullets? Be nice to know who you get your supplies . Unless of course this is your private fishing hole kinda thing.

To go to a store locally to get shot shells in my area ( even before the beer virus) I can get 6 # or7# and that’s it . I’m not interested in 6/7 . I want #4-000#& slugs. Those don’t exist in my area. On line & in stock $1.50-$2 a shot.
I’m glad to get the feed back

·
Registered
455 Posts
Unless you shoot a lot of buckshot or slugs you'll be better off to watch for sales than reloading. Plus loading buckshot it is often difficult to get 9 pellets of 00 buck to fit correctly in many hulls and get a good crimp. Tried loading buckshot and gave up and that's before the price of lead got too high. Best to use a straight walled hull than a tapered hull. Federal Gold Medal was best for me. Also don't use a bulky powder as it takes up too much space and leaves too little space for the 00 buck and to get a good crimp. Need extra tools for reloading good slug loads. Nice to have the ability to load shotshells but todays prices especially lead prices, it's cheaper to buy.

·
Registered
36,308 Posts
I never found shot shell loading cost effective unless you needed something specal. Even when shot was cheap, loading to shoot clays or bang away at steel saved about $1 per 25rd box. I am not sitting at even a progressuve to save $1 or 25rds.
I did use to load 12ga for CAS. My double liked Win AA shells for fastest reload. Back then about $6/bx, I could load them for $3, but I could buy game loads for $3 to run in a pump. I suppose if you bought a high end progressive, shot by the pallet & primers & wads in huge bulk & shot enough to justify the press, why not? Me, I just buy a case a year, I dont do a ton of shotgun anymore.

·
Super Moderator
3,937 Posts
I have an old press in my gun room with a bag of hulls, wads, some primers and a few bags of shot "just in case". I loaded about 5K on my FIL's presses years ago, but it just does not make sense to load shotgun. I shoot 30K rounds a year on average and load all of my pistol and rifle because I can make better loads for less money. Not so with shotgun. Buy in bulk, call it good.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Thanks , your doing much better than my cost projections for 9mm . Where you getting your 9 mm bullets? Be nice to know who you get your supplies . Unless of course this is your private fishing hole kinda thing.

To go to a store locally to get shot shells in my area ( even before the beer virus) I can get 6 # or7# and that’s it . I’m not interested in 6/7 . I want #4-000#& slugs. Those don’t exist in my area. On line & in stock $1.50-$2 a shot.
I’m glad to get the feed back
My 9mm coated come from Brazos precision.
Before the panic I was buying Federal LE (flite control wad - amazing!) "OO" 9 pellet and 1oz. tru ball slugs for $3.49 a box. That's 70 cents a round. Try Target sports USA when this crap is over with and people wake up.

Reactions: Jack Fate

·
Ninja
2,788 Posts
I bought a Spolar Hydro reloader about 15 years ago when a bag of shot was about $10-15 for a 25 lb bag and I was shooting a lot of shotgun. Then 2 things happened. The base commander at the time decided that guns were bad and he closed the skeet/trap/5-stand range on base and the cost of shot skyrocketed. Both these situations have never fixed themselves.

Before the cost of shot went up, a few of us at the range bought a few tons of shot to get the cost down a couple bucks a bag. I think I still have about 1,500 lbs of 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 shot in the garage.

I still reload shotgun, but mainly 28 and 410 for dove hunting and some 5-stand. About the only 12 gauge ammo I reload is for hunting ammo like #4 and #5 which is pretty expensive to buy factory. Luckily I have a new puppy at home and I was able to get a lot of hunting in this winter.

I also bought a SilencerCo Salvo shotgun suppressor a while back. I was able to work up a low recoil and subsonic (under 1050 fps) load that cycles in my short barreled Benelli. That is something I could not manage with any factory ammo. I never realized how much noise a clay bird makes when they break. It is pretty damn cool.

·
Registered
21,753 Posts
Step up to a 10 gauge! Impossible to find lead loads for practice and steel factory loads are just insane.

Reactions: FullClip

·
Registered
214 Posts

·
Native Mainiac
23,940 Posts
My 12 and 20 MECs are cobweb ranches now. Used to shoot a lot of clays, but kind of got out of it, and i was too stooopid to buy AAs when I started to get good hulls to reload.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts