Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Inquisitive
13,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Think what they had to say about how awfully the belief and actual practice of "Multi-culturalism" has failed in that part of the world will affect us, or more specifically....those who seem to think Europe is the role model for America?

Will they listen? Will take take notice? Will they actually abandon the implementation of the practice here?

Or will they continue on as if all is peachy with the world and that/their belief?

Quite the eye opening thing to hear the British Govt officially speak of how badly the practice has gone for them, what it's causing in the way of violence, separation/segregation of their peoples, and the breding of terrorist acting people for them. Just as eye opening to hear some of their efforts at ensuring it no longer happens. Most of which is probably too little too late..........but honest efforts none the less.

Think we could ever pull it off here............or do you think some would prefer that it never happened, truth or not?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...ulticulturalism-has-been-left-in-tatters.html

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
they have so many problems and such a messed up legal system that i really feel no need to ever visit. plenty of places in the US to be a tourist at.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The bottom line is similar to the marriage/relatiomship thread that is floating around on GT right now. America, as a nation, needs people with similar core values, just like a couple needs in order to have a good marriage. This requires those who immigrate to our great country to WANT to be an AMERICAN. One cannot or should not come here and desire to be, let's say, a "muslim-American". One should come here with the desire to become and American who is an individual and .......................................wait for it................................................................Assimilate!!!

If you don't like our traditional core values then you should immigrate to a country that has values that you do like. We should resist changing our core values just to make newcomers happy. We are/were a great country because we stand, for the most part, for what is right in the world. I suggest we keep it that way.

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I think it's worth pointing out that "Europe" isn't just one place or government, there are dozens of countries with dozens of different legal systems and cultural traditions there.

·
Registered
24,236 Posts
I hope the failure of multiculturalism in Europe spreads like wildfire in America.

Immigrants to this country must assimilate into our culture and become Americans.
That means that they abandon the customs and culture of the old country and adopt the culture of America.

I'm getting sick and tried of being told that I must be tolerant of other cultures,
while my white Christian culture is being stomped on all over the world.

Remember what Teddy Roosevelt said about immigration.

"We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American.

There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people."

·
Silly
1,701 Posts
I hope the failure of multiculturalism in Europe spreads like wildfire in America.

Immigrants to this country must assimilate into our culture and become Americans.
That means that they abandon the customs and culture of the old country and adopt the culture of America.

I'm getting sick and tried of being told that I must be tolerant of other cultures,

"We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn't doing his part as an American.

There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people."
Teddy is spot on and surely rolling in his grave right now like a damn rotary engine.

·
Banned
3,922 Posts
Exactly. Just like the assimilation of the immigrant pilgrims into the cultures of the Native Americans. Or the Spaniards with the people of what is now currently South America and Central America.

·
Slacked jawed
11,211 Posts
The bottom line is similar to the marriage/relatiomship thread that is floating around on GT right now. America, as a nation, needs people with similar core values, just like a couple needs in order to have a good marriage. This requires those who immigrate to our great country to WANT to be an AMERICAN. One cannot or should not come here and desire to be, let's say, a "muslim-American". One should come here with the desire to become and American who is an individual and .......................................wait for it................................................................Assimilate!!!

If you don't like our traditional core values then you should immigrate to a country that has values that you do like. We should resist changing our core values just to make newcomers happy. We are/were a great country because we stand, for the most part, for what is right in the world. I suggest we keep it that way.
Its a lot different group from the Ellis Island days, Europe sucked, europeans left and wanted to be American. It only took two generations since my great grandparent came over for my generation to completely lose our language and most of our european culture.

I seen the same thing with some other cultures, but others seem to not want to assimlate. Then when they notice others are doing better, they don't blame it on themselves, but they blame it on America. We are racist because we don't hire the ebonic speaking person with a criminal record for the management position. We are racist for telling somone that you shouldn't come into our country illegally. We are racist for telling someone to follow OUR laws and not Shari laws.

·
Registered
21,450 Posts
Exactly. Just like the assimilation of the immigrant pilgrims into the cultures of the Native Americans. Or the Spaniards with the people of what is now currently South America and Central America.
You get the prize! You were the first person in this thread to boast your open mindedness and show us all how worldly you are! You're so shiny.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Oh Christ... Here we go. :upeyes:

·
Registered
21,450 Posts
:headscratch: The dominate or more advanced culture prevails.
How else would civilization ever progress?
That's not the point. It's just a "gotcha" that guys like him pull out to show us all what a thinker he is. Almost word for word, a sandal wearer always tosses it out a few lines into this topic.

·
Registered
24,236 Posts
That's not the point. It's just a "gotcha" that guys like him pull out to show us all what a thinker he is. Almost word for word, a sandal wearer always tosses it out a few lines into this topic.
I see now!:wavey:

I don't even know how to respond to his comment?:dunno:

I tried to erase my original post.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts

I completely agree with this

I moved to America 20+ years ago from Ireland, I came here because I wanted to be an American, not an "Irish-American". I am an American citizen now and I am damn proud to be one :patriot:

Immigrants who come here should do their best to contribute to society and integrate into our culture, rather then trying to force their culture on us. Rather than trying to force their culture on us, why not just go back to where they came from?

The same goes for so-called Americans who want our country to go the way of Europe with its pathetic nanny states. If you think its so great somewhere else, then GTFO, you don't deserve to be here

·
Herr Trigger
1,261 Posts
Think we could ever pull it off here............or do you think some would prefer that it never happened, truth or not?

We already celebrate St. Patrick's Day and Cinco de Mayo, so no. I think we're already too far gone...

·
Enslaved in IL
5,775 Posts
Hey, figured it was time for touchy feely response from you, our DU spokesman.:wavey:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Completely agree with the need to assimilate, culturally and linguistically. I don't think we are going down the UK way at all, they have some serious problems there, ultimately because we as a country do a much better job at assimilating everybody. As a people, we are way more welcoming, tolerant than the British and as a result of this and because of the huge iconic power of the US a country we succeed where other countries fail miserably.

You can disagree with the politics but in front of the world the fact that the son of an African immigrant could become, without being born into wealth, a professor at Harvard, a US Senator and then the President is huge.

Please don't get bogged down in a discussion on how much you dislike Obama, I know. The point I am trying to make is vis a vis the discussion on successful assimilation, not on the politics.

We are a powerful beacon and a huge cultural and iconic reference for people all over the world who dream of coming here and become American. 99% of the times, they do. Just look at your own family tree...

·
Enslaved in IL
5,775 Posts
I completely agree with this

I moved to America 20+ years ago from Ireland, I came here because I wanted to be an American, not an "Irish-American". I am an American citizen now and I am damn proud to be one :patriot:

Immigrants who come here should do their best to contribute to society and integrate into our culture, rather then trying to force their culture on us. Rather than trying to force their culture on us, why not just go back to where they came from?

The same goes for so-called Americans who want our country to go the way of Europe with its pathetic nanny states. If you think its so great somewhere else, then GTFO, you don't deserve to be here
You got it. If they love thier old country culture and want it to be like that here, why did they move here?:wavey:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Will they listen? Will take take notice? Will they actually abandon the implementation of the practice here? Or will they continue on as if all is peachy with the world and that/their belief?
Who is they, and whom will take notice? Are you referring to officials in the federal, state, and local government; or are you speaking in general terms the people or organizations. It's fact that people of a certain race, ethnicity, religion and culture tend to gravitate to one another, and if these individuals want to organize and push for a recognition or greater parity for whatever issues they feel there might be discrimination against, so be it, as long as it's non-violent. We are nation founded and built by immigrants, and even today many still flock to our shores aspiring to become an American citizen. Sure there will be difficulties in assimilation, not just a language barrier but cultural barriers, not just in schools, the work place, and more, but the fact remains that immigrant children or children of new immigrants will become our next generation of Americans. Which might scares some of us, because we are unsure what the next American century will look like. What values will we hold then when we can't converse with each other because an immigrant doesn't speak English well, because we don't understand why they celebrate a certain day, or whom they choose to worship is so foreign to us. But I encourage those that have these fears, go to a swearing in ceremony of newest citizens that come from all over the world varying with age, each one has a unique story of how they became an American citizen, as to why they came, and to watch this unfold is a sight to behold.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts