close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Considering Glock - A Few Questions

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by splashdown, Oct 23, 2004.

1. splashdown

splashdown nra member

I shot a guy's G17 a couple of weeks ago in a Steel Challenge event. It was pretty sweet. I've got a G19 for home defense that is stock. His had some trigger work done to it. So now I am considering a Glock 34 for USPSA. I only shoot Production Division and I have made it to a B ranking with a Beretta Elite II. So here are a few questions I have about the Glock:

I found a chart of trigger pulls on glockmeister and it listed the lightest combination being the 3.5 lb connector AND Wolf reduced power recoil spring (2 lb/3.375 lb). I'm wondering about trigger reset. Is it a nice positive reset? Is this the preferred DIY trigger job? Is the Ghost Rocket (3.5 lb with overtravel stop) legal for Production?

I see I can also go with an increased power trigger spring. I understand the geometry and function of the pistol, but again, I'm concerned about reset. Should this change be avoided?

The guy also had the Dawson Precision narrow fiber optic front sight and plain rears. I understand the front sight is taller and requires a holster with plenty of clearance. What holster do you recommend with this sight? Is it worth the $130 for the sights or is there another brand that is just as good?

I think that's about it for now.
    Thanks
    splashdown

2. ltgibson2001

ltgibson2001

It's not worth $130. I got the Dawson fiber optic front for around $40 something last year and you can get it cheaper than that now. I used the Glock adjustable rear with it on my M35. Bladetech, Uncle Mikes, Blackhawk's CQB, or even Fobus holsters work fine with that front sight and thats just the ones I have seen it work in. I'm sure there are loads of others like the com tac or ky-tac holsters that will work with it to.

Mike

3. joseywales

joseywales

splash -

a few thoughts for you. i shoot uspsa production division with a g34. the heinie race-cut sights work well (black on black).

i am very pleased with dawson precision front FO sight (.100 width) on my g35, and think that i will switch to the dawson FO sight for production g34 as well.

on the ky-tac super-hooper holster i've had no problem with the height of the dawson FO sight, holster is fast as well.

for trigger work...see this link vanek triggers

4. splashdown

splashdown nra member

Thank you for the advice on Vanek triggers. It's cool to see that Tom Novak is ranked up there, possibly second to Vanek. Tom did the trigger work to my Beretta.

I have another concern about the mag release. Does the G34/35 have an extended mag release? It seems like I've read this somewhere, but all pictures I've found look like the standard part. On the Beretta you can reverse the mag release to the other side. I'm a righty but prefer the mag release on the right side. Is there any speculation that Glock might go to an ambi mag release in the future? They probably could do an HK style lever and still use the old mag design. What about this G17 Pro from Finland (found on GlockFAQ)? Will this ever become the standard?
    [​IMG]

5. sniper1moore

sniper1moore

Yes the G34/G35 come factory with the extended mag release,Slide release and factory 3 1/2 pound connector.I changed the connector to a Ghost Rocket with over travel stop and put a Dawson fiber optic front sight on my G35 I left the factory adjustable rear on but thinking of going to one of the MMC small adjustable.As for the new style mag release I couldn't say if they will or won't but it sure looks better.Ken

6. splashdown

splashdown nra member

It does come with the 3.5 lb connector? So why does the Glock website say 4.5 lbs? They have the WORST website.

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

I currently own various sights for my Glock’s among them Hienie, CGR Buried Bo mars and Dawson Precision. If what you’re looking for is and adjustable rear sight I would recommend you go with Dawson Precision. They offer Black on Black, Fiber and tritium sights. If adjustable are not for you then I would recommend the Black on Black race cut Hienies.

With regards to the holsters I was using the Blade Tech IDPA approved holster but now I use the Threat Solutions UCR holster http://www.gunracing.com/Qstore/p000057.htm for the local club run IDPA SSP/USPSA Production matches since it is what I actually use when I carry.

BTW, everyone here already knows whose trigger job I recommend.

8. flatrock

flatrock

Yes, their website is absolutely horrible.

The G34/G35 come with the 3.5 lb. connector, but that gives you a trigger pull of around 4.5 - 5 lbs. With some polishing of the rough edges of the connector and the trigger bar you can get it down into the 3.5 lbs. range.

I have a G34. I use a heinie slantpro rear sight, and a dawson percision .101 width fibre optic sight designed specifically designed to work with that rear sight.

Indoors the front sight doesn't get very bright, and the narrow sight with a good amount of light around it is what gives you a good sight picture. Outside the bright fibre optic dot makes it even easier to get that front sight back on target quickly.

I've spent a lit of time using needle files, sandpaper, and buffing compound to polish up my trigger bar and connector. It makes a big difference, but you have to be careful of where you remove metal rather than just polishing.

I've also installed set screws to adjust the pre-travel and post travel. I was able to get rid of most all of the post travel, but I was not able to remove much pre-travel without disabling the firing pin safety.

I've had the chance to dry fire as well as disassemble and examine a glock that had a Vanek trigger job done. I learned a couple neat tricks with just that short look that definately helped. If you're going to send your gun out to have the trigger worked on, I'd send it to him.

Considering the cost of the parts, and the amount of time I've spent trying to get my trigger as good as one of his trigger jobs, I think his price is quite reasonable. The cost of shipping the gun to him and back does add a considerable amount, but unless you enjoy tinkering with your gun and are able to make sure that the safeties still work when you're done, have someone who knows what they are doing work on it.

9. splashdown

splashdown nra member

What kind of maintenance does this Vanek trigger require? Are the springs so light that you need to change them every x rounds? The link posted by joseywales includes tales of triggers under 1.5 lbs. Wow. Sounds too good to be true. I'm actually getting excited about shooting a Glock again someday. Does anyone serious shoot a G19 in USPSA production? I like the shorter grip frame of the compact vs the full size.

10. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

While I do have replacement springs, strikers and spring cups etc for my 4 Vanek Triggers I have yet to replace any of them and all my Glocks are used for USPSA/IPSC and IDPA competition.

11. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

Most of the really light trigger jobs gunsmiths are offering for the Glock are fairly mushy feeling. If you like that fine. However they do not feel much like a 1911 style trigger (crisp with short overtravel and reset). The ones that we do are not as light, they average about 2.5-3.0 lbs, but we have eliminated almost all of the takeup and overtravel. They are very crisp with a fast and short reset. They are also pretty much maintenance free, all the safeties work, and are about half the cost. Before you drop a lot of money of a Glock triger job make sure you get a chance to shoot a gun with that trigger job in it first.

Sights are a pretty personal thing, with different people liking different types. I usually recommend the Hiene sight with the front sight thinned to about .100-.115". If your eyes are starting to go bad, then the fiber optic front sight was some advantages if used in a well lighted area. In low light conditions they really don't work very well.

12. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

I would agree with Mtrclass that you should try out a Glock enhanced trigger before buying it. I have personally purchased just about every trigger job and trigger component that’s available today from vendors like CGR, DMW, Tom Novak, Vanek, Lightning Strike to name a few and I have found the Vanek trigger to be the closest to the feel of a 1911 style trigger.

Every one of the ranked USPSA competitors that has tried the Vanek trigger here in SoCal has only said good things about it. It's interesting that at a local GSSF match (SSA/Ron Jung) that was held at Norco about 1.5 years ago the Glock factory armorers sang praises of the Vanek trigger and I let them try the Glock’s that had the DMW, Novak and CGR triggers so they could compare and contrast them.

13. Doc_d

Doc_d

Forget Vanek... It seems he is out of the trigger business. I've been emailing him for several weeks trying to arrange for him to take possesion of my 34 to do trigger work. Here is the last email I got from him...