close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Considering Glock 30 for CCW. Please chime in.

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Glockster_221, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Glockster_221

Glockster_221

I recently went out shooting with a friend of mine (shot a G30, AR-15, and a 12ga. 870). It was extremely fun as I had never shot an AR before and I wasn't too bad with it if I say so myself (hitting soda cans at 80+ yards, of course I was prone).

To my surprise, the G30 was very soft shooting and quite accurate. I loved it. I thought it would be too small for my large hands, but it was acceptably comfortable.

Now I'm going to buy a Gen 4 G17 as my first handgun, but I am very strongly considering buying the G30 for CCW. I noticed that the slide is a bit wider than a G17, but is it uncomfortable in an IWB? I'm thinking about a CrossBreed Supertuck. Experienced CCWers please chime in!

PS. What's the difference between the G30 and the G30 SF (what does SF stand for, Slime Frame or Small Frame)?

2. 208GunGeek

208GunGeek

Don't hesitate! Get a Glock 30!

The SF's have had hit or miss reliability. Search here on the forum and you can read all about it.

I'm not sure if it's been narrowed down to a certain group of serial numbers or a certain part that has been defective but there's a lot of folks that will tell you there's problems with the SF's. There's also a lot of folks that will tell you that their SF's have been flawless. Do a little research before you buy.

A Glock 30 (non SF) is my EDC and its just flat out fantastic!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010

3. drew4691

drew4691

I'd get the SF version, or get a Glock 23. Thats just my opinion. My uncle has the G30 and CC's it, and he has bigger hands than me, so he doesnt mind it, but he also said something about being pretty wide for IWB. (he recently purchased the M&P 40c to CC)

With the glock 23, you can get the 9mm conversion barrel, and a G32 barrel and shoot 3 different calibers out of one gun by just doing a barrel swap.

Or just get a G19 for CC.. to stay in the same caliber as your other 9mm.

4. nedfolks

nedfolks

SF stands for short frame. I think the G30 is a little chunky but that's only my opinion. I chose the G36 which is a actual slim frame .45 and would be ideal for concealed carry.

5. itsveryniiice

itsveryniiice

They are wide as hell and heavy when loaded (for ccw use). I consider a Glock 26 a wide ass brick for ccw, and the 30 is a lot wider.

Below is a pic which very well illustrates both the main benefit and the main drawback of the 30 :D

[​IMG]

6. jmb79

jmb79

I've been carrying a G30 (and for the last couple of years a G30SF) IWB for years. Yes, it is a bit thicker than other choices but as long as you dress appropriately, that is not a problem. The weight is less than many all steel pistols and with a good gun belt and holster, weight is not a problem either.

For casualy wear, I recommend a Wilderness Tactical 1.5" Instructor's belt with the 5 stitch option. For more formal wear, a nice leather belt from The Beltman.

As far as holsters go, I like Raven Conceament Systems product. Choose whatever belt attachment you prefer.

7. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 Pastafarian

The 30 is a brick. Have you thought about the 36?

8. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

I daily carry a G30. I also use the supertuck with a good nylon gun belt. I love the combo. The G30 is big but I wanted the extra capacity and compromised in the width department. In a normal sized t-shirt it is not noticeable unless you are looking for it. Most sheep will think it's a phone or something.

9. KS Trekker

KS Trekker That Guy

I own both the G30SF and a G26 and I use the G26 for EDC mostly because of the weight. I've only ran 100 rounds through my G30SF but so far it has performed flawlessly.

10. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

I have medium size hands, and while the G30 feels a little big, it shoot so nice that it doesn't matter. I can shoot a G30 much better than a G19 or G23, so when I carry a GLOCK, it's the G30.

11. mesteve2

mesteve2

Small gun in a large calibe:whistling:r!

12. Glock30 Guy

Glock30 Guy XD40

You will love the G30. It is a bit thick but you will get used to it. I now actually carry a G36 IWB since it's a bit slimmer. I have several SuperTucks and like them also.

13. scottd3b1

scottd3b1 NRA Member

It all depends on how you plan to carry it. If it is going to ride in a holster on your hip, get the 30. It is the most gun you can get in that size.

I carry a 27 in my front right pants pocket everyday. Just wear cargo shorts and cargo pants with big pockets. Also helps if the pants are pleated in front.

14. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

The G30 is the "best" carry gun there is!!!!!!

Guess what I carry? :cool:

15. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

A 30 or 30SF is an essential member of any Glock collection. It is a wonderfully versatile platform. You can go down to 9 rd mags for ultimate concealability, stick with ten rounders to get your pinky onto the grip (Pearce +0 extensions are a wonderful addition in this configuration) or go with a G21 13 rd mag for HD. As you've already discovered, it is a soft and accurate shooter. It is probably the best compromise of size, weight and capacity in a big bore on the market. Like many, I use the CBST for IWB as it is really perfect for large heavy guns. It is a large holster, sturdily built and its design does a good job isolating the gun from your body resulting in a very comfortable carry. Get a Beltman 1.5" to support it and some Ranger RA45TP to fill it and you've got an awesome weapon capable of fulfilling any role you would ask of a pistol. If I could only own one Glock, this would be it.

16. Chonny

Chonny

For carry the G36 beats it in every way. There is the capacity issue, but with the G36 you can still change the mag if you need to...:cool:

17. hickok45

hickok45 Millennium Member

Depends on how you want to carry it, but I find because of the thickness of the G30 that I prefer the G27 or G23 for IWB carry. You just have to go through it and decide for yourself, though. The G30 is a really sweet shooter, partly BECAUSE of the heavy, thick slide. That's what makes it so comfortable to shoot well.

18. thegreendevil76

thegreendevil76

I carry the G21 on duty and wanted an off-duty/back-up CC pistol. I went with Glock because it is what I use the most and decided consistency was probably a good idea. I definitely wanted the .45 because I just love the way it shoots and it is an effective round. My biggest problem then was to decide between the 30 and the 36. I agonized over it for a few weeks, comparing the minutiae of the specs, the ammo vs. concealibility issue, mag compatability, etc. I finally went down to the local gun shop and held both pistols. Even though on paper the 30 is only 4mm wider than the 36, it felt more like 4 inches. I ordered the 36 because I really needed a pistol I could carry all the time. The area I live in is pretty hot most of the year and I generally wear shorts and a T-shirt. The 36 in a Super Tuck is pretty much invisible even in hot weather clothes. I am very happy with the set up, but was haunted by the idea that maybe I should have got the 30...so I went ahead and ordered a 30, too. I will probably carry the 30 when the weather is cooler and I can wear a light jacket or sweatshirt, but I'm pretty sure I made the right choice the first time (36) for my primary carry gun. I'll let you know how I fare with the 30 when it gets here. Best advice is to try them both out. If you are close enough with your buddy who owns the 30, see if you can borrow it for a few days to see how it conceals. Everyone's experience will be different depending on your preferences and body type.

19. KDawg0007

KDawg0007

If you end up with both the 30 and the 36; the 36's slide will fit and function on the 30's frame. You get the best of both worlds.

20. itsveryniiice

itsveryniiice

LE discount is very nice ;)