Considering getting back into A&P work.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by TooManyGlocks, May 20, 2005.

1. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

My son's pre-school had a field trip at the local airport, in fact the same airport I used to work at as a A&P. Long story short I left A&P work in the late 80's to go back to school. I'm now self employed as a Audio Tech and I have been considering getting back into some possible part time work as an A&P.

So what hoops do I need to jump through to get back into the swing of a modern A&P other than the tool I still have? FAA requirements etc. Also what is the prevailing wage these days? In the late 80's I was making $6.50 to $7.50 an hour. Chief or lead mechanic was making $10 - $11 an hour. Obviously this explains why I left. What can I expect these days?

2. crazydave

crazydave

LOL you should not have a problem getting that pay now, might be a little on the high side tho....
    As far as getting back in,

§65.83 Recent experience requirements.

A certificated mechanic may not exercise the privileges of his certificate and rating unless, within the preceding 24 months --

(a) The Administrator has found that he is able to do that work; or

(b) He has, for at least 6 months --

(1) Served as a mechanic under his certificate and rating;

(2) Technically supervised other mechanics;

(3) Supervised, in an executive capacity, the maintenance or alteration of aircraft; or

(4) Been engaged in any combination of paragraph (b) (1), (2), or (3) of this section.

You really just need to start working under supervision of an A&P for a while to get back in the wing of things.

What part Northern Idaho you in? My wife and I want to relocate to the Coeur d'Alene area.

Dave

3. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

Thanks for the info. Now I know where I stand. I'll explore my options shortly.

I've lived in the CDA area off and on since the late 70's. This a great place to live as long as one does enjoy outside winter sports since we have 5 solid months of winter weather and can tolerate the short daylight hours during this time of year. This last winter was one of the mildest on record. Region ski areas had to close early then reopen briefly when we finally had decent snowfall.

As for moving to the CDA area, we are experiencing a housing bubble not as inflated as CA but still a bubble. Many jobs in the area are related to housing right now. Quite frankly I really don't understand what many of the people who move here are doing for a living. Many do sell a house in CA for well over $500K then pay cash for a house here then buy another for cash and rent it out for income. I guess that would explain part of the equation. Housing developments are exploding and being sold out rapidly. My $0.02 is if one can put 100% down for a house or get really close to that on a house up here then by all means go for it. This is a really a great place to live.

Thanks again for the input,

4. crazydave

crazydave

That and there is only 1 place for an aviation mechanic to work there. Still waiting om Empire Air to hire me.....

Dave

5. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

That is where is worked in the late 80's and that is where I would work if I choose to go back part time. When I worked there they had just acquired FedEx contracts and started moving away from the commuter airline service. Hope it all works out for you.

6. bracks02

bracks02

I dont have an A&P, i just do sheet metal work on Army Aircraft and make 22.04 an hr.

7. TooManyGlocks

TooManyGlocks Semper Fi

Hey not a bad wage for a regular working class job. Where do I sign up. With my home business I make $20 to $30 an hour however I don't have vacation pay, health care, sick days or retirement plan. I also need to purchase and upgrade my equipment which eats into the profit. Self employment has it's disadvantes but the HUGE advantage is being your own boss. ;f