Considering buying my first bike

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by Jtemple, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I have my eye on a '94 Honda Magna 750. It has 4000 miles on it, for $3000. I can probably get it for $2500. It is in excellent condition.

Are there any opinions of the bike? How would it be for my first bike?

I read some reviews about them and they seem positive for the most part.

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

How much riding experience do you have?

3. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Pretty much none. I did some off-road riding in my early teens, that's about it. I know it probably doesn't make a difference, but I do have several years experience riding a mountain bike competitively.

I'm 5'10", 220 lbs, 31 years old. I'm not interested in showing off.

4. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Another choice may be a Suzuki SV650 that's for sale at a local dealer. I haven't called them to ask the price yet; I just saw it today.

I think I'd prefer the SV650, but $2500 for that Magna seems like a deal I shouldn't pass up...

My price limit is $3000, max.

5. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

With an iota of maturity (or luck, take your pick), you can pretty much jump on any bike and learn to ride. I'm a huge fan of cheap, used bikes without fairings for the first (you'll dump it at some point, no reason to destroy the most costly part of a sportbike, the fairings). That said, I'm not much of a cruiser fan and know little about the Magna.. it IS a Honda though, so the charging system should be checked out (Reg/Rec issues) and it'll run forever with basic care. :)

6. Timothy658

Timothy658

I am also looking for a first bike, I have no experience. I am looking for something small. My size is 5'10" 130 lbs, (Im a thin guy). Has to be cheap too, under a grand. I called on a 1981 Honda 400CM, but it was sold.

On a side note, there was a bike wreck tonight on my way home from work. I was at a red light behind this bike, and when it turned green, he and the guy in the car next to him proceeded to race. He got a few blocks down and I could no longer see him. He also had a female passenger on the back. He was all over the road, didnt look like he had great control of the bike. I drive a bit more, and it looks as if he attempted to make a right turn, and he wiped out. The bike was laying on the ground, the woman passenger was standing by it, just looking at it, and he was trying to pick it up.

7. freakshow10mm

freakshow10mm 10mm Advocate

Sorry to hijack Jtemple.

Timothy658, check eBay man. I am same height and 10# more than you. I bought a 1981 Suzuki GS450L off of eBay for $1050 with 14900 mi. I paid a little more than I should but I really, really wanted it. I lucked out as the seller was in Oshkosh, my home town. I had my dad run over to his place and pick it up for me.

I absolutely love my bike. I ride whenvever I can. Its pretty light too, only like 417# wet. If you drop it, which I have once at 7mph, you can still get it back up without turning red in the face. That was my main concern about weight. If I drop it, I don't want help getting it up.

The 400-650 cc bikes are really nice for beginners, especially smaller guys like us. You can get some really decent condition Kawas, Hondas, Suzukis in the early to mid 80's for under a grand. That was my budget too, but I squeezed out and extra $50.

8. Timothy658

Timothy658

Nice bike! That is exactly the type of bike I am looking for. Something lightweight, and not too big. I will give ebay a look. Ive been checking the GB Press Gazette, with not much luck. Im hoping that there will be more to choose from just ahead of the winter season here, because I am thinking people will want to sell what they have and upgrade next year instead of storing it for the winter.

9. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I called the dealership. Of course, they want way too much money for the SV650; it's out of my price range. It has 5000 miles on it, and for $1000 more I could get a brand new one.

So, as of right now, the Magna is the best bang for the buck I have found.

10. jthuang

jthuang On The Jazz

I'd jump on the Magna deal. A buddy had an 84(?) Magna during law school (1997), which he got for a steal ($1,100 and the bike had < 10k miles). It had a big dent in the gas tank but that was it. He said it was reliable and a great bike.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I'm not a cruiser fan either. I think that the seating position is awkward for maneuvering in slow street traffic, but if it works for ya, then by all means. It's a Honda so you can count on it being well built. It doesn't have crazy power delivery, so it would be a good bike to ride as a starter.

Don't forget MSF training and gears.

12. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I'll definitely be the safety course & getting some good gear.

13. JAREDG21

JAREDG21

I would not reccommend a cruiser as a starter bike. A standard or a sport touring is what I would reccommend. Cruisers are much heavier, not nearly as mauverable, plus with standard or st bikes the brakes and tires are twice as good. In other words much easier to controll in a learning or emergency situation. Try to find a sv 650, bandit 600, or fzr 600. definately get good gear. Do not skimp on the helmet expect to pay at least 180 on a good helmet.

14. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Would a Buell Blast be too small for me?

15. BrianM_G21

BrianM_G21

No, but there are a LOT of people who found quality control (and then warranty) issues with the bike. You'll Definatally want to do some homework on the Blast before buying, but the fact that I see them for $2k with less than a thousand miles on them in classifieds says they're not holding their valve at All (and there's got to be a reason for it).

16. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Yeah, I did do some reading and found quite a few mechanical complaints.

17. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

I can't find an SV650 in a private sale locally. I'm going to the dealer to check them out. They have new ones for about $5100 and one used one for $3800. The used one is a couple years old and has about 5000 miles on it.

I have a hard time only getting ~$1000 off a 2 year old bike with 5000 miles on it. For just a few bucks more a month, I can have a brand new one. What do you think?

I'd still hate to spend more than $2500 on my first bike.

18. Timothy658

Timothy658

What are the differences betwee a standard, cruiser, and sport bike?

19. Jtemple

Jtemple Geek

Standard - Basically a sport bike with a more upright seating position.
    Example: SV650

[​IMG]

Cruiser: Boulevard C50
    [​IMG]

Sportbike - what people refer to as Crotch Rockets
    Example: Hayabusa Limited

[​IMG]

20. FoxMustang

FoxMustang We Deal in Lead

Don't forget the cost of insurance. I was playing around with some quotes on Progressive's website (mainly to compare the cost on different models and years), and the difference between a new bike and a 2-year-old bike of the same type was significant. In one case (Suzuki SV650) a new bike cost 50% more to insure than a two-year old one. The bulk of the cost was in the collision premium.

YMMV, but it's something to keep in mind.