Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a G31 that I have converted to .40. Dont start with the .40 to .357 argument I have heard it all. Anyway, my agency authorizes any caliber and gun as long as we can qualify with it.

I had at one time a G17 and I really liked it. I was stupid and traded it off, and I am thinking about trying to aquire one again. If I do I will carry the 124 +P Gold Dots and call it good. What say the wonderful people in CT. I cant carry a G21 as my hands are too small an it is uncomfortable.

·
Registered
21,479 Posts
Askk Cochese about his G34... that is a sweet gun

·
The Bofh
1,350 Posts
not a JBT myself, but for what little it's worth..........

9mm with quality JHP's is a perfectly fine caliber. G34 or XDm would be my pick.

·
Trigger Control
682 Posts
Have you handled a G21SF? The slim frame makes a good difference from the regular G21.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Are you sure about the G-21? I have (what I consider) small hands and a G-21 fit's me just fine. A G-21SF is even better. Any other Glock I handle feels like a toy, after carrying a G-21. YMMV.

·
The Bofh
1,350 Posts
I have small hands myself, and the 21SF STILL feels like a damn brick in my hands. If you're thinking of a 45, the XD 45acp fills small hands nicely.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had a G-20 and I have about 100 rounds out of a 21 and I just dont like them. The XD is a great feeling pistol and I would consider it but I dont like the grip safety on the XD. I will NOT buy anything chambered for .45 GAP. Ammo is a bear to find and expensive to boot. Not to mention I would still have to buy new gear for the pistol. It is the worst scenerio all the way around.

The only reason for the switch is because I like the idea of the 17. Robust 9mm that I can strip down and replace everything in it for next to nothing. Not to mention the 17,22,31 was origionally designed for 9mm. Just a thought.

The 17 I had I could keep all of the rounds in the X ring for the entire qual. The only time I cleared qual and didnt drop a round.

As far as the 21SF goes it does not feel any slimer than a standard 21 to me.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess the reason the large frame Glocks feel so large is that I have fired about 5,000 round through my 31/22. I may just go run so .357 through it and see the difference. It has been five years since I shot .357.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
G17 or G19, whichever you prefer. I have very large hands, but I prefer a Gen 2 G19 with a Pearce PG-19 +0 pinky extension. Fits my hand better than any other handgun I have tried.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I love my G34, 38K rounds in about 5 years. No non-ammo related stoppages. With a set of XS big dots, it is the fastest shooting, most accurate gun I own. I think it'd be a great choice if you want a slightly longer sight radius then the G17, or just want something different. Defineately don't feel under gunned carrying it as my duty weapon.

-Jenrick

·
Perfectionist
3,285 Posts
I have Four G34's, love the balance and feel of the 34 over any of the other Glocks. I don't carry a 34 because of the cut out on the slide, we do a lot of hands on training and have found more than once a shirt tail or pea gravel has made the weapon useless in a firefight.

Just not something I want to deal with when exchanging rounds.

Paulie

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just purchased a G34 and its a shooter. I plan to carry it as my duty gun and I usually have two backups (G26 and a 2" 357 Colt Mag Carry revolver) on me.

·
Chaplain of CT
7,470 Posts
I love 9mm (+p or +p+) and .357 though I'm becoming a .40 fan again.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry 9mm on duty but if I had the choice I'd probably go with a "larger" caliber.

If you're flexible on ammo, check out the stats on DoubleTap's 9mm.

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I love our 21SF's, anything else feels like a toy in comparison. It's just something you have to get used to. If I were planning on buying a 9mm, I think I'd still go with the 19. Still 15+1, carry 17 mags for reloads, and it makes a great off-duty piece too.

·
38,473 Posts
I currently have a G31 that I have converted to .40. Dont start with the .40 to .357 argument I have heard it all. Anyway, my agency authorizes any caliber and gun as long as we can qualify with it.

I had at one time a G17 and I really liked it. I was stupid and traded it off, and I am thinking about trying to aquire one again. If I do I will carry the 124 +P Gold Dots and call it good. What say the wonderful people in CT. I cant carry a G21 as my hands are too small an it is uncomfortable.
40s over 357s... okay, now that's out of the way.

I started with a G23, then G22, then G21, now going to my spanking new G34 this week for duty. WOOT!

Try the G21SF first, it feels amazingly different than the G21. I wear size L gloves and my regular G21 feels fine.

I wouldn't have a problem with the G34 because our duty round in 9mm is the Winchester 127gr. +P+ Ranger T-series and it's a hot round. Our duty for 45 is the 230gr. +P Winchester Ranger T-series.

If I get into a shooting (knock on wood), I ain't stopping until they stop so whether I put 2 or 3 45s into the guy or if I can put 5-7 9mm into the guy in the same timeframe, it makes no nevermind to me. If the perp is good for 1 bullet, he is good for the whole mag until he stops.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts