Consider this.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Norske, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Norske

Norske Millennium Member

Another thread has been bemoaning the "loss" of several matches. Let us step back for a moment and consider the following.

#One. About TWENTY ONE matches HAVE been confirmed.

#Two. Only FOUR matches have definitely been cancelled.

There are still about five matches "pending".

GSSF says it is going to replace the cancelled matches. But looking at the weekends that those 21 confirmed matches are going to take place upon, at this late date I don't see WHERE they could possibly be rescheduled for 2005. Some of them might not be replaced until 2006!

Potential host clubs that have the facilities, equipment, and personnel necessary to conduct a GSSF match do NOT grow on trees. Those that do have the wherewithal probably conduct a lot of other activities already and probably do NOT have a lot of readily-open dates where they can drop anything and take on a GSSF match.

There has obviously been a shakeup at GSSF. I suggest patience while everything settles down. We may not have seen the last of the changes, simply because they are still unknown.

2. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

On this we agree.

3. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

I'm sure the GSSF folks are very busy. Our club has filled out an app to see if they want to have one at our range. We are within 6 hours of well over 10 million people. Anyway, the GSSF people say they are considering us. Is there anyone out there that would come to west texas to shoot a GSSF match? We could be ready by early fall sometime. We are only 6 hrs from D/FW, Ok city, El Paso, Albuquerque, San Antonio, Austin, & a half dozen smaller places with a couple hundred thou people per town. This of course doesn't include all the smaller towns. They don't call us the hub city for nothing! What do you all think? MLM

4. Clem

Clem

"BUILD IT AND WE WILL COME!" Hope y'all get one of the replacement matches, Mark. Donna & I will certainly attend if it happens. We eagerly await announcements . . . .Take care, Mark! Tell Jerry, Tracy, et al "HELLO!". Tony.

5. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

6 hrs is no problem. I drove 5 hours to get to San Antonio.

6. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Define "West Texas" please; the summers of my youth were spent in a tiny cotton-farming town outside Lubbock (outside Smyer actually). Maybe not this year, but a GSSF event in the right place would make a great excuse to come from the northwoods and see how it's all grown.
    ;f

7. Ranger54

Ranger54

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mark L Miller
    Is there anyone out there that would come to west texas to shoot a GSSF match?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in San Antonio and would DEFINATELY drive to West Texas for a match. Get it on the schedule! I'm sure you will also attract the Dallas folks!

8. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Guys, it's not official yet but we heard today that things are looking really good for us to hold a GSSF match! Our range is about 15 miles from my house in Lubbock. It is right on the north side of Slaton. We are expecting the match to be in the fall. We should even have a warm up stage where for a slightly phenomenal fee you can make sure your gun is running or make sure you are awake, whichever. ;) It will probably have a plate rack or something like that in it.
    Wig, West Texas for us is defined as Lubbock. Smyer hasn't really changed very much, well, no that's not true, it has almost doubled in size (that's about 20 more people) at least that is the way it looks when driving through but you will find Lubbock is much closer to smyer than it used to be!
    As soon as I know anything for certain, I'll start a thread giving details & all that stuff. Come on over & bring a friend!!!
    One more thing, we have steel, no paper option match for us!
    MLM

9. Clem

Clem

10. Ranger54

Ranger54

Mark!!!!

Most excellent, keep us posted!!!!!

11. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Mark,

That is wonderful news. I wish your club success.:)

12. DaleGribble

DaleGribble Sandwich!

Texas is a little to far for me, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for yall!!

^c ^c ^c

13. whiskerz

whiskerz

I have an idea ;f How about a second date at an exsisting location maybe in the SE US since we lost Jax . My early idea was a fall Anderson match

14. njl

njl Crusty Member

Oh crap! I hadn't noticed that until you said it. I've been going to the Jax match every year since I bought my first Glock back in 2000. And I just signed up for a life membership too.

I'd push for the local range to try to host one, but there's just not enough range space or parking for even a small GSSF match...much less a JAX sized one. If we lose Orlando too (still pending, and I really didn't think JAX was in any danger), I'm really not going to be happy.

Are there any other potential range locations in North/Central FL?

15. andrewchurchill

andrewchurchill

Does anyone know what the "shake up" is at GSSF? On their website they mention that there proposal has changed and that they thank all the clubs who are no longer hosting matches for there past service. I am working with our local IPSC club to see if we want to try to host a match in Vermont since the New Hampshire match has been canceled.

Any info you folks have would be welcome.

16. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

;z HOOAH!! Mark, that's great news! I don't know if I'd make it this year 'cause my sched is so sewn up right now (except for "home" match at Oakdale). But if your match gets on the sched in '06, can you spell ROAD TRIP??!!! Ditto all of Tony's smilies above. I might have to get on that like a hobo on a ham sandwich. Besides, I need to get out and walk the country a bit to show my northwoods grand-daughters what a horny toad looks like, so I'll bring a shoebox for specimens.

Glad to hear about the steel; do you calibrate with a low-hit from a 9mm or just let the average wind down there measure that for you? ;f

Regards; can't wait for more news on this one! ~2
    Keep us posted,
    Wes

17. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Danny, If we get to have one & if people show up & have a good time, it will be a success. The financial renumeration is not all the much for all the trouble & so forth but for a club our size, it would be a nice bonus for us. The best thing would be the people, this would give all of West Texas & a big part of New Mexico a GSSF match within a days drive of them. Heck, we will even let in the folks from Oklahoma & Kansas, too. ;) If they want to come down here, anyway. We are back to the IF we have a match question again, though. I hear an adjusted schedule will be posted on the GSSF sight next week sometime. It may have the answer to this question on it. Thanks guys for the encouragement!
    By the way Wes, I have heard collecting horned toads is now a federal offense???? The greenies are sneaking into Texas, too. I will check into that for you, but may I suggest a camera? Yes, we use the wind to calibrate & the sand to clean our steel for us. hahah. Fortunately our range is off in a hole & the wind has to be blowing just wrong before we have bad problems. MLM :)

18. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

Let the treehuggers hug a cholla bush. I guess it's a good thing I was usually asleep on the return trip to Cali when I was a kid & we hit the Ag Inspection station at the CA/AZ border 'cause we never declared the little dinosaurs. ;f

Don't comment any further on it, and you can keep your deniability. ;)
    I still think they're cuter than a VW bug.