Glock Talk banner

Connection/Router help

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  gemeinschaft 
#1 ·
Have a problem I hope somebody here can help with. First off I’m S-T-U-P-I-D when it comes to computers so talk to me like I’m a 6 year old. Anyway, have a netgear router that seems to be working however I keep getting a failure to connect from both my Ipad and computer. So I’ve connected the “main” line directly into the computer, however I get an “unable to connect” message…after running Windows diagnostic I’m able to connect to the net. Any idea what’s going on or something I may have done? As always thanks for the help.

#2 · (Edited)
Have a problem I hope somebody here can help with. First off I’m S-T-U-P-I-D when it comes to computers so talk to me like I’m a 6 year old. Anyway, have a netgear router that seems to be working however I keep getting a failure to connect from both my Ipad and computer. So I’ve connected the “main” line directly into the computer, however I get an “unable to connect” message…after running Windows diagnostic I’m able to connect to the net. Any idea what’s going on or something I may have done? As always thanks for the help.
Do you know how to log into the router? My first thought would be to reset the router and start over.

#5 ·
No idea how to log into Router.
Yes everything was working great, then one day last week couldn’t get on with Ipad. Thinking something had gotten unplugged, checked and all was good, but couldn’t get on computer either.
Purchased myself.
Last week when this started, I unplugged the line from the router and plugged it into the computer, however I get an “unable to connect” message. After running Windows diagnostics I’m able to get on the net; however the router is useless as it isn’t connected.

#6 · (Edited)
Connect your router as it was.

Using a network cable, connect you computer to the router.

If you have Windows 7 - go to the Start menu, type "CMD" in the search bar the bottom. Press "Enter"

If you have Windows XP - Start Menu, Click "Run", type "CMD" and press Enter.

This will give you a command prompt (a black screen with white writing).

Type "ipconfig /release" Press Enter
Type "ipconfig /renew" Press Enter

Wait and see if it connects to the router.

If so, then type "ipconfig /all"

Look at all the information that comes up and under the LAN (Local Area Network) connection.

Write down the IP address of the "Default Gateway" - this is the address of your router.

For instance, it may be 192.168.1.1

Type that exact IP address into your web browser and press enter.

This should get you into the Web Interface of your Router.

Side Note - I have seen many times where a router and Modem share the same IP address; if this is the case, you will have all sorts of problems. You can follow the steps above when connected to your modem directly to find out what IP address is being passed from your router.

Here is a link to an article that I wrote that helps explains Networking 101 - http://cookingcomputersandmore.com/?page_id=113

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.