Connecticut man has guns confiscated and is arrested after sharing meme on Facebook

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by pipedreams, Aug 19, 2019.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

I’m waiting for the backlash against Facebook, Twitter and the like when people finally realize all the loss of liberty and freedom they’re experiencing for the sake of random internet praise.

2. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

Clearest thinker & poster of the day.

VCoupe376ci, BigBluefish and Bus007 like this.

3. northslope66

northslope66

likely ? are you serious ? just saying or posting something should never be a crime . ive seen some truly tasteless memes but its just that ......a meme

motorcycleman likes this.
  4. VCoupe376ci

VCoupe376ci

Even an unjust law is still the law until it isn't.

5. Grabbrass

Grabbrass

Disputed. His attorney says he only re-posted a meme, i.e. a photo, usually humorous or ironic. Haven't seen yet what the content of the meme was, but according to his attorney the warrant was not based on any actual statements online.

And so ya gotta ask, was that enough for a warrant? I've seen some reference to police also receiving a "tip." From whom? An anonymous tip? Yeah sure, ok. So I can call the police, tell them anything I like about my neighbor, get his house raided.

Yeah, that was stupid.

Actually an illegal law is illegal. And the State is criminal for enforcing it. But little guy suffers the consequences, yup.

Nope. An illegal, unconstitutional law is void. But it has the force of The State behind it, and The State doesn't care if its laws are unconstitutional ... just obey or suffer the consequences.

It will never get declared unconstitutional if everyone obeys.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    mj9mm, AGF0526, nerr and 5 others like this.
  6. fastbolt

fastbolt

Here's one article containing info about all 3 young men recently arrested for making threats involving mass shooting plans in 3 states.

https://ktla.com/2019/08/18/3-men-i...hreats-in-florida-ohio-connecticut-officials/

Considering the huge amount of attention and coverage given to such shooting incidents by the press, and the seemingly willingness of troubled young people to spread their thoughts on social media (including making texts, etc), it's hardly surprising that more of them might be able to share their dark, violent thoughts in ways that would come to the attention of friend, family and the police. Go figure.

On top of making social media comments, re-postings of memes and making comments to friend that would seem to favor planning and participating in mass shootings and mass murder, it's hardly surprising that additionally breaking some laws (like importing high cap mags into a state which prohibits them) would attract the attention of police ... especially if they receive tips from family and friends.

Does anyone really want to engage in the mental gymnastics to try and make these few young people into "innocent victims of the system", without first actually waiting to see what's produced by the investigations?

How about letting the investigations and courts do their thing?

Duke45Big and SevenSixtyTwo like this.
  7. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Not as bad as the guy in the OP but just to show somebody, somewhere is screening Facebook posts I got a warning the other day that a reply to a post had been blocked so as not to be seen by anybody. They gave me the PC BS about not wanting to have certain items on their "family-friendly" site. In response to a story about Netanyahu not allowing that Tlaib (?) hag into Isael. I said something about the "Palestinian Pig" and they got their panties in a knot.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    mj9mm, FullClip and Gray_Rider like this.
  8. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

As is possible with any criminal investigation, there's always the possibility for mistakes being made. Maybe more so if officials may be rushing ahead of themselves. If so, then people are going to be (should be) responsible for making those mistakes.

Time will hopefully show if the local and/or fed cops made any mistakes of fact, or mistakes of law, in a rush to prevent another "mass" shooting incident. Professionalism still demands quality over quantity.

In the meanwhile, the press is having a field day with this subject. Sigh.

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  10. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon Silver Member

I don't know gents. As a society, we seem to have a plethora of males between the ages of 18 and 25 that seem to have no self-purpose or moral compass. I'm at a loss as to how to stem these idiots.

In the end though, I don't want to keep some gun types from all people. I want to keep all gun types from some people. With these mass shootings, there is SOMEONE who knew something wasn't right with little Johnny and they didn't say anything. Or worse, they assisted and/or enabled him.

Frustration speaking here: I wish we could put some of their parents on display and ask them "what was up with your little Johnny and why didn't you know the wheels were coming off the trolley and why didn't you intervene?"

11. VoodooMountain

VoodooMountain

What was the meme?

Was there any threat?
    How can this be constitutional?

mj9mm and FullClip like this.
  12. Lockback

Lockback Polymerlicious!

Frankly, I'd never had that take on it: the need to make the Right fear being on the 'Net.
    That's brilliant. Kudos for thinking outside the box. I really think you're on to something there!

13. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

"Even an unjust law is still the law until it isn't," said Lavrentiy Beria, Reinhard Heydrich, Heinrich Himmler, and Nicolae Caeusecsu.

14. serve_and_protect

serve_and_protect

When VCoupe gets red flagged for being a Trump supporter and his guns are confiscated, will he still be making excuses and trying to rationalize it?

While the SWAT team is seizing his guns, will he still be saying "This seems like a clear cut example of the police doing their job."

:rolleyes:

15. pipedreams

pipedreams "Knowledge Speaks - Wisdom Listens,"

I though in this country you were innocent till proven guilty. While I understand what your getting at, can you imagine the cost to these individuals in lawyer fees and possible loosing their job and then found not guilty. That can never be undone.

mj9mm, FullClip, F14A and 1 other person like this.
  16. ExecutiveWill

ExecutiveWill

Ah, ok.
    The story isn’t making things clear.

Blanton likes this.
  17. Blanton

Blanton

Seems there was a suspicion of intent to defy CT law. For all the pissing & moaning there's no hard evidence of flagrant LE abuse. We always complain about the media but are willing to believe everything they say on things that fit our anger profile.. I'll wait to see where this goes.
    https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/nat...cle_95e8fc0d-7abb-5e9a-8b3f-0aae66192e2f.html

SevenSixtyTwo likes this.
  18. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I'll point out another flaw in the originally posted version of the story:
    This guy's guns seem to have been confiscated as evidence of a crime, after a search warrant and felony arrest. I'm not sure a red flag order is even involved. Looks more like somebody just threw those words in for good measure.

VCoupe376ci, MFC4, mj9mm and 3 others like this.
  19. snerd

snerd Horselover Fat

We have a generation of kids that don’t know if they’re male or female. They don’t know which bathroom to use. Their schools and teachers turned them into little Marxists. Confused Marxists, but Marxists nonetheless. Like you, I have no idea how to ‘fix it’.

20. Pluto57

Pluto57

Just because it was called a "meme" doesn't mean it doesn't express a true desire or intent to do something illegal. One cannot make a blanket statement regarding what the consequences of posting something on FB should be without seeing what was posted. So, until you can produce what he posted, I'm sticking with "likely wouldn't". I'm not sure he's in jail for what he posted anyway, but he's certainly in jail for transporting illegal magazines into the state. He may think the CT law is unconstitutional, but his opinion on the constitutionality of the law has no bearing on whether or not he can be arrested for breaking that law.

Nemesis. likes this.
  21. nerr

nerr

Don't forget to use your VPN anonymizer and wear your tin foil hat so they can't read your brain waves (hey, would you have believed in this pre-crime crap 10 years ago?).

mj9mm likes this.