close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Congressman: Walmart is the largest recipient of public aid in the country

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by IndianaMatt, Nov 27, 2012.

1. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. nmk

nmk

As a graduate student I make a few bucks more than an ENTRY level Walmart associate. I live pretty well. Now that I know I live in poverty, I'm sad. Thanks a bunch.

3. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. If you make more than the poverty level, then you do not live at the poverty level.

I'm guessing you didn't obtain a degree in math.

4. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Liberal Bane

I take it you found your dog?

5. badge315

badge315

The title of this thread is an abject lie; Wal-Mart receives no public aid. Perhaps some of their employees do, but one of my kids works at a Wal-Mart distribution center and he makes a decent living. Guess I better go tell him how evil his employer is. :upeyes:

6. nmk

nmk

You're cute.

So which ones live in poverty? How much do they make? Why can't they make ends meet?

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Don't the states and the Feds determine minimum wages? Wages at which they deem is liveable off?

As far as benefits go, do all employers offer benefits?

Duh!!! Maybe Wally World and other employers be in LOSS bussiness?

8. nmk

nmk

What EXACTLY are poverty level wages?

ETA: I just looked it up. I'll let you break the news to everyone.

9. Adjuster

Adjuster

Should a WalMart associate make $50,000.00 a year with full benefits? No they should make minimum wage with zero benefits. WalMart bashers are a joke, well at least in the context of this bashing.

/

10. Detectorist

Detectorist

1 and 2 are false. Walmart did not start out by selling Chinese goods. Many Walmart employees receive various types of benefits.

I don't know why folks hate Walmart so much.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Because they're liberal democRAT commie pinkos who hate capitalism and hate America.

12. ColdSteelNail

ColdSteelNail

Unfortunately many retailers are beginning to follow the Wal-Mart model. The bottom line is more important to Wal-Mart than employee well being. The union movement going on at Wal-Mart may grow. Right now they have no incentive to change anything.

13. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

So let's just nip this in the bud and have equal wages all around. The Walmart cashier will make the same as the Accountant, who makes the same as the Engineer, who makes the same as the Spinal Surgeon. No more complaining, right?

14. nmk

nmk

I may have been mistaken. Are we supposed to rely on data or emotions for this thread?

15. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

It's signalling. We all do it. Right now Matt is signalling that he has read all the talking points, approves of the use of snark and oh so clever nerd meme's for "cool" points, and is now in with the "in" crowd.

Walmart bashing is heating up after the failed Black Friday (Thursday) "walkouts". Now all the cool people are posting about welfare, China, rich white republican business owners holding down the poor people, no benefits, and of course, racism. Somewhere the prime directive must be met.

Nothing more than letting others know that "we" know what they "know". Kind of like wearing the same shirt your friends did while you were in high school.

Signalling.

16. devildog2067

devildog2067

No kidding--I was divorced paying child support on two kids, and pay rent on apartments in two countries, on my grad school stipend and what I could make on the side and I did ok.

17. devildog2067

devildog2067

Damn right it is.

Employee well being SHOULD matter--because happy employees improve the bottom line, and not for any other reason.

The company I work for does a lot of pro bono work, does a lot of social impact work, and does a lot to take care of its employees.

Why? Ultimately, because it's good for business. That's the only valid reason to do so.

18. aplcr0331

aplcr0331 Compulsory Collectivisim

Another prime directive, and yes you are confused-here's how it works; Data that supports your emotional arguement is super duper swagalicious good. Data that questions your emotional beliefs (like crime statistics that show minority crime rates or minority educational achievement-excluding Asians of course they're not really a minority to worry about except when they vote democrat and damn them for wrecking the curve!) can be dismissed out hand.

Another example. Evolution = totally awesome science dude. Human Biodiversity = Racism of the highest order you white male mysoginistic homophobe.

Try to keep up please.

19. Fear Night

Fear Night NRA Life Member

Shame on you for actually living within your means. Being an American means we have a RIGHT to lots of cool stuff like huge houses, luxury cars, and big screen TV's - even if we have to go into massive amounts of debt to get them.

20. Z71bill

Z71bill

Start your own company -

Step 1: Open up world's largest retail chain selling high quality high priced goods.

Step 2: Pay your employees $50,000 salaries and offer 100% company paid health care, pension, vacation, SICK PAY:cool: and just extra cash for no reason benefits.

Step 3: Said employees not depend on public aid and social welfare for medical services, etc.

Step 4: Go out of business in 15 minutes,lose your investment and go bankrupt.

Step 5: Employees end up on welfare and SO DO YOU. :tongueout: