CONFIRMED: US Secret Service Adopts the G19 and G47

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by HEXE9, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Yes, and it's about time

47.7%
  2. No, I'm a SIG fanboy and this news has me butthurt

5.6%
  3. No, guns are dangerous

4.0%
  4. Meh, don't care one way or the other

39.6%
  5. Listen, I don't vote in no stinkin' polls

3.1%
  1. Bradd D

Bradd D

Good info except that it doesn't say anything about tweaking the gel for an individual round just the rounds themselves. That's what I'm questioning.

HEXE9 likes this.
  2. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

.357 fanboy / I'm butt hurt

Up yours, secret service.

triggerjerk and redneck ron like this.

3. Cati

Cati

I believe the USSS partnered to create a round with the same “power” as a .357 mag in a semi-auto. This was before all of the modern advancements in ballistics. Today, the margin is so close between 9mm and .45 that it’s all about shot placement. You are more accurate and have more rounds with a 9mm.

Deputydave, HEXE9 and AdamRodgers like this.
  4. Southswede

Southswede

The 9mm has not been in a vacuum. The advancement in technology of projectiles has been applied to all calibers. So things have remained the same: the 9mm has not caught up to the 357 Sig or any other caliber.

The end result of a lethal confrontation has always been about shot placement.

Rick James45, triggerjerk and HEXE9 like this.
  5. BuckyP

BuckyP Lifetime Member

It’s most important, but not everything. That’s why there isn’t more love for the .32 ACP. ;)

HEXE9, AdamRodgers and Southswede like this.
  6. Southswede

Southswede

I was of course, referring to the common defense calibers. :cheers:

Gray_Rider, HEXE9 and AdamRodgers like this.
  7. olkev

olkev

Has anyone heard what ammunition the SS is going to be using in their new platform?

AdamRodgers likes this.
  8. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers 23 Year member of the 9mm Cult!

I have been wondering the same.

I am thinking it will probably be something along the lines of what the FBI is using, Critical Duty, G2 Gold Dots, I am just wondering who is gonna get some of the new Winchester Ranger 1 ammo??? All the above is just my opinion, there is no telling what they may or may not pick.

9. walkinguf61

walkinguf61

My Fed friend tells me that his agency ( not secret service) constantly seems to change what duty ammunition they use (manufacturer and bullet weight but not caliber). I suspect the Secret service does the same thing.

AdamRodgers likes this.
  10. AdamRodgers

AdamRodgers 23 Year member of the 9mm Cult!

A couple of my friends are Deputy Sheriff's, there boss is cool and understands alot about firearms. Anyway they find a load they like in a weight they want and order that as there main load. Then they pick a 2nd and 3rd load that is the same weight and pressure to have as a backup incase there is a run on there chosen load.

They may have a 230gr Gold Dot as Primary but if they cant get it, they can fall back to a 230gr HST. Both are damn good and if there reliable and shoot close point of aim of each other there GTG.

11. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Incorrect.

Correct.

12. LS357

LS357

I think a better analogy would use a similar diameter bullet with different case sizes, like 9mm and .357 Sig. Example: 22-250 vs .223 Rem vs .22 WMR vs 22 LR

13. TacticalDesire

TacticalDesire

What an absolutely terrible analogy.

LS357, jr24 and Master Guns like this.
  14. Bradd D

Bradd D

It's pretty comical, actually.

LS357, jr24 and Master Guns like this.
  15. seamaster

seamaster

Great, now I need to choose something different!

16. nursetim

nursetim

Kind of like saying the AK-47 is the very best rifle. Both are great, but there are better options depending on the standard.

17. Scouse

Scouse

I talked my Son into a purchase of Federal 147g HST. I have carried this weight of 9mm since Black Talon. Accuracy? At the Police range in (just think South Florida), there was a 2-foot square of steel, suspended on chains. I was carrying a Glock 17 with aftermarket night sights.
    This was quite a while ago, I had black talon in it.
    A visiting Fed, carrying a Sig, who my son had been touting, me and my New Glock 17 too!
    Bet I could not hit this gong. I did a lot of long-distance shooting practice at my home outdoor club in Brampton Ontario, Canada 1986? We two on vacation.

With my son spotting, me from prone, I hit three out of three. This had a good trigger, right out of the box. I still have that pistol, it visited Glock Georgia in 2015 and was found to have a cracked frame (replaced no charge) a Glock 19 that I had also sent in, had Glock night sights fitted, cost $60.00?
    The caretaker in that same Canadian Club could hit Clay pidgeon targets at 30M with a Chief Special! Standing. An Ex British Royal Marine.
    Still not used to the time difference from Florida, been here in Sacramento since Wed! So heading back to bed. Now nearly 4 AM and two big planes just flew over? Our Sons house is on a hill, in Foulson, night flights?

18. Dom Pastore

Dom Pastore dpast32

I just figured I'd repeat what I've been stating all along, which is exactly what I've observed over & over during my L.E. career. Most Federal, State & Local Agencies purchase their ammunition via the 'low bid' process. That's why for a certain period of time they will be using one brand, projectle weight, & so on. When that's been exhausted, they purchase again, via low bid of course. The very sad part of all this is, a great many times, the people involved in the process know very little about forensic ballistics & duty ammunition !!

Best, dpast32

19. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

This can be true to a certain extent, more in some places than others. However, there is also a liability attached with certain purchases. An expectation of performance. So there is a fine line between being fiscally responsible to the taxpayer (who ultimately is buying the product) and cheaping out.

20. jamppp

jamppp

How many people does the USSS shoot a year with their handguns?
    I really wonder how much impact the gun & caliber have vs. their training.