close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Confederate War Department??

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by md2lgyk, Aug 20, 2012.

1. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

In researching ancestors on my mother's side, I learned that my great-grandfather served in the Confederate Army (4th Mississippi Infantry Regiment) and fought at Ft. Donelson.

I also learned that, believe it or not, the State of Mississippi still has an official Confederate War Department! But it's not quite what the name implies. In the 1950s, the State compiled all the data available on Missippians who served during the war, and it's available on microfiche. The "War Department" is a small group of folks who, if you give them a name, will research the records and send you (for a nominal fee) electronic files of whatever they find. In my relative's case, that wasn't a lot, just a few pay slips and his enlistment and discharge papers, but still very cool. He joined a local unit (the Monroe Guards) the week after Missisippi seceded, and was discharged a year later.

2. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

My 3xgreat grandfather was a Captain in the 7th and later 11th MS cavalry. Look into the sons of confederate veterans www.scv.org and also ancestry.com has useful info through census reports and slave registrations

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

Thanks. I know Ancestry.com has a lot of information, but I just can't bring myself to subscribe.

Interesting that you mention slave registrations. I have seen some of them. My mother's family were dirt-poor cotton farmers and almost certainly never owned slaves, but if I google my great-grandfather's name, I get several hits on slaves with the same name (Augustin Carter).

4. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

not gonna get a whole lot of useful info from slave registrations but for me it partially explained why my ancestor was very wealthy in the 1850s but substantialy less wealthy after the war. He was able to keep his land since the majority of his former slaves stayed on as sharecroppers after the war but i guess thats not nearly as profitable.

5. Patchman

Patchman Florist

The south's wealth was built around cotton and they exported cotton all over the world. IIRC, in the 1870s, India became a big cotton producer (on behalf of the British Empire) and that economic bite was felt in the south.

19th century world economics may or may not have affected your ancestor's finances. IDK. But family history is always interesting.

6. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

So true. I haven't completely verified it, but I'm pretty sure at least one ancestor from PA on my father's side served in the Union Army. Probably more than one.

My mother grew up in a house with no electricity or running water in Mississippi, while my father had a typical middle-class upbringing in Oregon. Were it not for WWII (they both served), there's no possible way they would've ever met.

7. glock_19guy1983

glock_19guy1983

Similar to my grandparents. My grandfather is from mississsippi and my grandmother and her family immigrated from northern Ireland after the Irish civil war. My grandfather met her while he was stationed up north for some sort of school in the coast guard.

8. JW1178

JW1178

I have ancestors from both sides of that war. My great, great ,great grandfather was a draft dodger in the civil war, except a legal one, he simply paid someone else to go for him for $200. He had a farm in Ohio and if he had gone it would have cost him a lot more money as he was the one that ran it. He said "if the southeners want to be independent, let them" which is how most people back then felt about it. However, many of my ancestors did fight and a few died.

9. SC Tiger

SC Tiger Jive Tiger

Consider yourself lucky - many of the records for SC were burned thanks to Sherman (a######).

I have at least four ancestors that served in the Confederate army. Probably have some less-direct ones (ie cousins of ancestors, etc) that served in the Union army as well but don't claim those. :tongueout:

To the best I can tell none of them owned slaves.

Now, I can't necessarily say the same about some later ancestors and moonshine stills...