Confederate flag

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by hogship, Jun 27, 2020.

1. hogship

hogship A republic, if you can keep it! Silver Member

I am not from the South, but I do sympathize with the Southerners who feel a great pride in their particular American culture. I voted yes, in the poll, because I do feel it's legitimate for our country, as a whole, to consider the Confederate battle flag as symbolic of a pro-slavery attitude.....whether or not the Southerners agree with that sentiment. That flag cannot be separated from the fact that the entire USA was involved in either the preservation of slavery, or abolishing it.....and that flag is 1/2 of the equation.

I can see the "Southern Pride", and I think that is wonderful.....but, the flag they choose to emphasize it's importance to that culture is misaligned in the universal meaning.

So, why don't the Southerners come up with another flag, or symbol to express the pride they feel? Why must it be THAT flag? Of course, it has been that way for many years......but, they surely must see that it's divisive, and not good for the well-being of the country, as a whole.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

rfd339, doktor doom, LOOT and 3 others like this.
  2. Glock45Lover

Glock45Lover

I live in the south and couldn't care less about that flag or what it supposedly stands/stood for.

3. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

It saddens me that people have been so poorly educated to think the civil war was fought over slavery.

jr24, Tbags, jonb32248 and 36 others like this.
  4. Dave514

Dave514

Southern Pride of what? A time of secession, civil war and slavery?

I have southern pride and fly this flag.

American-Flag.jpg

And before someone tells me the civil war wasn't about slavery, I've already read the articles of secession.

I support people's right to fly the confederate flag if they want, and to feel however they want about what it symbolizes to them, but to ignore or dismiss what it represents...a time, a place, a war and a legacy of involuntary servitude... to so many others is a mistake.

5. eagle359

eagle359 Glock Fanboi

I resist the notion that a complete stranger can tell me what something SHOULD mean to me.

6. hogship

Likewise, it saddens me to know others do not acknowledge that the abolition of slavery is the one great American ideal that the civil war accomplished, and is forever cast in the history of our great nation........

That flag is representational of the opposite of that American ideal........

7. Ordell Robbie

Ordell Robbie Giant Member

OP, now they are telling us that the American Flag represents all the same horrible things the Confederate Flag represents, it's divisive, it makes people feel unwelcome and scared. Should we pick a different one also?

It's a tactic, right now they are attacking symbols, history and monuments, what do you think they go after next? Unless you capitulate to their way of thinking and their world view your symbols, your way of life, etc. will continue to be demonized and you will continue to be dehumanized. If you think giving them an inch will shut them up you're wrong, you've got to give them the whole mile.

8. TACLOAD

TACLOAD

9. Ordell Robbie

Let me toss this out there, the Civil War went the other way and the lower 48 is two separate countries, does anyone think slavery would still exist there today?

(I'm the guy that can't answer this because my world view on the subject is so screwed up.)

jr24, 10or45 and mj9mm like this.
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's kind of a retarded question. That flag is the one we flew when we stood up against the U.S. Government and voted to peacefully leave the union and the one we flew when the U.S. attacked. So now that the leftists have started crying about it, we should give in and just make up a new symbol? You don't just "make up" symbols, they have to mean something.

Standing up against "the ignorant prejudices of the masses of northern society" is the whole point. You suggesting is that we take a knee and wash their feet, as our liberal friends have been doing lately.

Kentucky+Page+1.jpg Kentucky+Page+2.jpg

11. hogship

You raise a very good point, Ordell........and, from my POV, the confederate battle flag was a pro-slavery statement long before current events have come to a head on the matter. But, then again, I am not a Southerner. Having said that, I do sympathize with the "Southern Pride" those from the south do feel, but am having trouble understanding just why that particular flag MUST be the symbol they use to express it.

12. evlbruce

evlbruce

There are some who hold the Betsy Ross flag as a pro-slavery flag of oppression. The argument is moot as BLM is dedicated tearing down all symbols of "dead, old, wealthy white folks."

jr24, 10or45, Gray_Rider and 13 others like this.
  13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's pretty stupid. The 9/11 attack only lasted minutes, so we should just forget about it? Raising that flag at Iwo Jima took minutes, but we still have the statue up. When the north invaded the south, they spent years destroying property and killing people.

14. hogship

This is also an interesting point, EB........and, I am one who does fly the Betsy Ross flag on my pole......just under the current 50-star flag.:flag:

15. Ordell Robbie

I'm not a southerner either but I always heard it referred to as the Rebel flag and that it was more of a symbol of defiance against a government they didn't want to be part of.

16. billorights

billorights

The battle flag is beautiful. That's why so many like it.
    But I prefer this one, claimed to be designed by a North Carolina son around Louisburg, NC.

[​IMG]

The original had 7 stars More added as states joined.

dbak, rfd339, garander and 5 others like this.
  17. Tickhill

Tickhill Eternity: Smoking or Non-Smoking

Since we are the last state to have a piece of the Confederate battle flag embedded in our state flag, we are being flooded with $ from other states and groups to convince our legislators to suspend legislative rules and allow the reps/senators to take away our current state flag.
    IF the citizens of the state vote to change the flag, then so be it. For the legislators to take it upon themselves to do the citizens work, that is not acceptable. We want a referendum!
    Spineless RINO's and Pedocrats in our state legislature playing good cop/bad cop, posturing for the next power play.
    Let the people vote, that is all I am asking for.
    IF anyone thinks that if our state flag changes, life will be wonderful, you full of ****!
    They (BLM/Antifa/Pedocrats) will be after another piece of history/heritage until there is nothing left on display, they want to put the statues in a museum, that museum will never be open for anyone to tour.
    IF a quarter of a flag offends people, we surely are in trouble as a nation.
    Get offended, get pissed off, they are coming after your state next.
    ALL flags are at risk, even our current Stars and Stripes.

10or45, Gray_Rider, redrick and 8 others like this.
  18. TACLOAD

TACLOAD

That flag represents hatred anyway you slice it. And you missed the entire point. Go fly your flag nobody cares

KindOfBlue likes this.
  19. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

That's a fictional version people have made up lately, where the north were crusaders for good, trying to wipe out slavery. Even Abe Lincoln said the goal of the war was to prevent the southern states from leaving the union and if he could do that without freeing a single slave, he would.

When we argue about these things now, most people are arguing, like you, about fictional entities that never existed. They fit the south into a fictional "white supremacist" character that has nothing to do with slavery and they fit the north into a fictional "anti-slavery crusader" character that had nothing to do with the war or the people on either side. The south was no more racially prejudiced than the north and, if you were Jewish, for example, the north was quite a bit more so.

As long as you are arguing about fictional entities made up a century after the war, you aren't really saying anything.

jr24, Atomic Punk, 10or45 and 14 others like this.
  20. evlbruce

evlbruce

Well then according to the pink-hairs and black supremacists you're a White Nationalist.

slym2none likes this.