close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Concerns about new Glock 23

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ArmyCWO, Nov 11, 2011.

1. ArmyCWO

ArmyCWO Mr. Mac

Ran into a bit of a problem with my new Glock 23 about 3 weeks ago. First time at the range I went through 70 rounds of two kinds of ammo. One was UMC 180gr JHP and the other was 180gr TulAmmo. Had about 4 times where the slide failed to go into battery by about 1/16". A quick nudge with the thumb sent it home. Three other times, I had a light strike. I just pulled the slide back enough to reset the striker and it fired the round. Now, it pains me to admit it, but I had gone to the range on an impuse and realized there, that it was just like it came NIB, i.e. no lubrication. The only thing I had done was put in a LWD stainless steel guide rod. So now, I would like to get some of the wisdom that is always available from a forum. Have wondered if these are "limp wrist" symtoms or could the LWD rod been a problem. Would a new, unlubed Glock do this? Thanks for any help that might be available. :dunno:

2. whitebread

whitebread ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know when my father-in-law shoots my G23 it behaves as you described...and he limp wrists like a 6 year old school girl. Lock your wrist and I would bet it would go away. I highly doubt lubrication is the problem.

3. dooga

dooga 5 year in with Glocks

Sounds like limp-wristing to me too.

4. Chesafreak

Chesafreak

I shot my G23 right out of the box the first time without any cleaning or lube. :embarassed: The only time I had any issues with it was when I limp wristed it. Somewhere on this forum I have read about light strikes because Tul ammo has hard primers.

5. BigA

BigA

The light strikes definately Tula ammo. They make thier primers outa decommisioned T 34 Tanks. Id take the recoil rod out and put the glock factory back in. Then shoot it and see how it runs.

6. ArmyCWO

ArmyCWO Mr. Mac

Thanks for all the input. It makes me feel better. Sounds like it was a mix of things. Something else I did not mention on the original post, was that my right index finger was bleeding pretty badly. That may have been behind the limp wristing. Too dumb to quit and go home, I guess. Just a minor, but very annoying thing I had to get the doc to fix. That is why I have not been back to the range. Had to let it heal up some. Going tomorrow.

P.S. Loved the bit about T34s.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  7. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

It could be the guide rod. Go back to the stock one and see what happens.

8. voyager4520

voyager4520

It could be lack of lubrication, a weak guide rod spring, a tight extractor(either out-of-spec or it has a lot of gunk built up around it), or out-of-spec ammo. That wouldn't surprise me with TulAmmo.

Could be limpwristing as well but I'd expect it to fail to feed with the slide further back rather than just short of full lock up if that were the case. I'd expect the same in the case of weak ammo.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  9. Black&TAN

Black&TAN Senior Member

It's best to run a new Glock stock, before making any modifications (as difficult as it may be to do).

Get your hand back to health, with a good grip, and put a couple hundred through your G23 with factory parts- see if the issue persists. Lubrication is likely not the culprit, and although you could field test the recoil spring functionality, there are times a brand new Glock will fail that test.

Assuming that you didn't have light primer strikes with the UMC?

sent via Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  10. donovan655

donovan655

I've had "light strikes" using Tulammo.

the FTRTB may also be ammo related also.

I wouldn't put too much thought into a few stoppages when using that ammo.

11. dvrdwn72

dvrdwn72

It's a combo of limp writing and the ammo. Every glock I owned I took right out back and fired right out of the box. Learning to shoot a glock is like learning to drive a caddy with 3 flat tires and a busted windshield. But once you learn, its all good. Buy a box of federal and shoot away, then give it a good cleaning.

12. ArmyCWO

ArmyCWO Mr. Mac

This is a bit late, but thought the info might be useful to some. I took the G23 to a Glock armorer and found the first problem of not going back into battery was due to a bad stainless steel guide rod from LWD. They replaced it and now it never misses a lick. As for the light strikes, that only occurs with Tulammo rounds, i.e. couple of rounds per box.

Mr. Mac

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  13. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

I love it when the "you're limp-wristing" crowd gets proven wrong.....again.

GLOCKs used to be almost impervious to the effects of limp-wristing, and they should still be, It's just that the GEN4 9MMs are a complete abortion to the company's name.

14. PAGunner

PAGunner

My gut tells me it's the Stainless steel guide rod you installed. I'd take it out and reinstall the factory plastic rod, I bet the gun goes back into battery no problem.

Limp wristing is a terrible excuse. I don't want any firearm prone to "limp wristing", that's a gun that will fail you at the worst possible time, when you're not at the range taking your time getting into your stance, just sayin.

My gen3 glock 19 made in 2008 I can't get to go out of battery or have any kind of malfunction, intentionally limp wristing, that is how a pistol should be. My USPc is like this as well, can't get it to jam.

15. PAGunner

PAGunner

There ya go, I didn't even read this when I posted, my apologies. I'd stop usin the tulammo, sounds like bad primers.