Concerning RTF models

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Kandrus84, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Kandrus84

Kandrus84 Dachshund Owner

Hello, I'm Kyle. Obviously, this is my first post here and I'm a hopefully soon to be (in the near future) Glock owner from NE Indiana. This will be pretty long winded for the simple question I have but I thought maybe I'd give a little background since I'm new. I just joined up a few days ago but have been visiting for about a month. I've been trying to decide which Glock model would be right for me.

My experience with Glock is, regrettably, not vast. I was never very open to the lack of a manual safety. It just didn't seem safe. Keep in mind at this point, I had never actually handled or fired a Glock. During a recent trip to the range, I fired my father-in-law's Glock 21. I was thinking light gun, large caliber...this thing probably handles as well as a shopping cart. I must say I was intrigued. The recoil was manageable. The gun felt good in my hand but not great. I don't have small hands at all but I did feel like something just a tad smaller, frame wise, would be.... "Perfection"(yes, pun intended:embarassed:).

So I started checking into the different model types. I finally concluded that the Glock 23 might be my best bet as I am a fan of the .40 S&W. I dragged the wife to the local gun show today, so I could hold a few in my hand. I must say the size felt right on the money.

The question I pose to you experienced Glockers is concerning the RTF models. I honestly found it to be somewhat uncomfortable. Does the roughness tend to wear down a little bit after a while? In your opinion, what do you feel are the advantages or disadvantages of it?

Thanks in advance,
    K

2. pilot5131

pilot5131

It will definitely stay in your hand no matter the humidity, but if you wear it concealed carrry it will wear out your t-shirt. :)

I've read of a couple people who have taken light grade sandpaper to the RTF to smooth it out just a bit.

3. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I'm not an RTF owner, though I have held them in the store. I will say this. The typical 3rd gen (RTF1) grip can get slick when wet. I use decal grips on either side of the grip to stop movement of the pistol in wet hands. If the RTF2 was available back in '04 when I bought the G23 I would have bought it. I have heard that it wears down a bit. I can agree with this as the grip on both of my Glocks has worn slightly over the years. Keep in mind what the purpose of the pistol is. If this is going to be a casual range gun then buy yourself an RTF1 Glock 19 in 9mm. If this is a concealed carry self defense weapon, buy the RTF2 Glock 23. The time you need the pistol will be at the worst moment in your life. The adrenaline and fear might make your hands sweat and your fine motor skills will suck.

When you shoot the Glock 23 for an extended range session put a Hogue slip on grip over the handle if the RTF2 is that uncomfortable for you. For carry, take it off and have a solid grip if/when you need to draw.

BTW, you can just get a Glock 19. 9mm is more than enough for concealed carry. It is cheap and effective. Going back, I might have stuck to 9mm when I bought my Glock 23. That being said, you can buy a 40-9 conversion barrel for the Glock 23. I like the .40 round more than 9mm, but they both accomplish the same thing if you do your part. I do some hiking and "feel" more comfortable with a .40 than a 9mm. Am I getting that much more bang with a 40 than a 9? Probably not, but piece of mind is worth the extra $2 for a box of 40 over 9mm no matter how trivial the difference is.

Just my $.02

:welcome:

4. .45 Combat

.45 Combat

Hello, I suggest you pick up a nice holster, like a milt sparks summer 2, if I have that right? I would say try it like it is, or try a third generation. You may enjoy it more. I felt the G-17, forth generation, it seems like it won't slide around in my hand like on hot days at the range. I want one, even though I own a G-17.

Get a good holster for conceal and carry. Milt Sparks, builds great holsters. Like alot of things you may just have to get used to it, first. To me, I feel if the weapon does not feel well in your hand, find one that will. Give the RTF a try, first.

5. badr1

badr1

my best friend has a RTF glock 22 and it's uncomfortable to shoot to me, I have fairly rough hands and its still too "spiky" for me it hurts after about 50-100 rds. Now i agree the time in your life if there is one where you have to use the gun is going to suck for lack of better words and your palms will be sweaty and knowing my luck it will be raining or something. but i think in that moment i will be white knuckled gripping the frame to the point of nearly breaking it so i doubt it slips no matter the grip. furthermore if your going to carry it you want to be proficient with it. the only way to do that is range time and if its uncomfortable your not gonna spend the range time you need with it. I would vote for a nice 3rd gen and a crossbreed holster (love mine) and as far as a wrap around grip at the range and not when carrying that s not a good idea that would be like sighting in a bow with field tips and a release but using broadhead and fingers to hunt PRACTICE THE WAY YOU WILL USE IT IN REAL LIFE!!!! ammo, grips,sights accessories everything should be the same from the range to the grocery store! OH BTW WELCOME ABOARD. :wavey:
    and if you buy any of these things @ walmart DONT LET THE GREETER CHECK YOUR RECIEPT gotta keep your right ya heard! :rofl::rofl:

6. Th3Myth

Th3Myth aka SuchxNxSuch

Being an owner of a G19 RTF2, all I can say is I love the way the it feels in my hands, sometimes I think Glock made this model just for me. doesn't seem too rough to me, even though I have soft hands. as far as carrying goes, it hasn't put a hole through any of my a-shirts just yet. although I haven't owned my RTF2 version for very long, I would rather let it naturally wear before I did any sanding on it. I would say definitely get one if you have the option to, and I would love to say that the frame will grow on you if you find it uncomfortable, but then again, everyone has different needs as far as how comfortable the grip is, so to each his own

7. DLL9mm

DLL9mm

I love my G19RTF2. It breaks itself in. I have approx 1500 rds through mine and the grip feels perfect. AND I have not ripped any clothing because of it :upeyes: (carried in an MTAC or Raven Phanton)

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

+1,....good posting! :thumbsup:

9. Larry V

Larry V

I love My 23 RTF2!!!

10. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm

If you're a management-type hands-off kinda guy (see Nancy boy) you're not going to like the RTF2 finish.

If you're a hands-on, do-it-yourself kinda guy you're gonna love it.

I have three RTF2 Glocks.

11. Judgemax

Judgemax

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  12. orangevol

orangevol

I lightly sanded my G 22 RTF2 and now it doesn't snag on my clothes, but still has a great feeling grip. Looking at it you cannot tell any difference in appearance.

13. fivestar

fivestar

I prefer the RTF2 over the standard frame. I wish my duty G22 was RTF2!

14. Girevik61

Girevik61

My G19 RTF2 Rules. :cool:

15. 40 Cal Joe

40 Cal Joe

23 is a good choice. Although mine is not RTF my 22 is an RTF. However, after extended range sessions or during a USPSA match, it chews up the outside of the palm. I do think the grip on the new Gen 4's are more to my liking.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  16. ElectricZombie

ElectricZombie

I just purchased a G23 RTF2 Saturday. I really like the texture, and feel that it is an upgrade compared to the 3rd gen texture. It reminds me of the sand paper like decal grips I have used.

I imagine that the tops of the polymids will eventually wear, giving a less agressive grip. As someone pointed out, you could always sand it down a bit if needed. (I wouldn't though.)

17. flieger67

flieger67

I like the RTF2 grip better than the 3rd generation or Gen4 textures. The RTF2 just "grips" better in my hands: it never feels like it might slip out. I just bought a 3rd generation 34 and I feel a marked difference in the grip-ability (if you will) of the 3rd generation and I can see why some people use skateboard tape, stickers or slip-on grips with those guns.

I have read of people saying that the RTF2 grips can be hard on clothing when the gun is carried in a holster, particularly IWB. Supposedly, that is why Glock went to a less agressive texture on the Gen4 models. I can't comment yet on the wear issue as I'm still waiting for my CHL.

18. thegriz18

thegriz18 Paper Killer

I see your point, but disagree. You could use carry ammo to train with, but that would cost lots of $$, most ranges won't let you move, draw and shoot, so really practicing is out. The wrap around grips aren't that big of a deal. I don't notice a difference between them on and them off. The new Pachmayer ones don't have huge palm swells like the Hogue grips do. If you go about the way you have described you would buy one gun and that is it. Lots of people own different types. Just shoot the pistol the way you will when you carry it for 50-100 rounds before you finish your session to zero yourself again on feel and handling.

19. robin303

robin303 Helicopter Nut

I have the 23 RTF and for now on all will be RTF. I also have the Gen 3 G19, my first love and when I hold it almost feels like I'm holding a slippery fish LOL. Now when I go to the range I stick the 19 slide on the 23 frame and have 2 guns in one. It’s the only way to go.

20. thunderstrike

thunderstrike

I love RTF2 grip. It feels just right, and grabs my Glock very tight. I did not like the small Gen 4 grip at all.