Concerned about GSD bite tonight

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by emt1581, Apr 9, 2010.

1. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

We had my in-laws over for dinner tonight. During the dinner my GSD grabbed a napkin and just had it in his mouth. We told him to drop it and he decided to run away with it. I got in front of him and commanded him to "leave it". He did. I then grabbed him by the back of the neck to guide him out of the room and he immediately latched onto my hand.

Now this is a dog that if I say jump, he asks how high. Seriously a WONDERFUL dog! This is why I'm concerned about such behavior.

As soon as he latched on you could see in his eyes the "woops!" look and he immediately let go. You can tell by his body language that he knows he screwed up.

Now he could easily tear the flesh off my bone but it didn't leave so much as a mark on my skin. But if he were to have such a reflex with a small child it could really do some damage if he put a little strength behind it.

Any thoughts on what would cause such a great dog to do such a thing?

I'm thinking maybe the in-laws made him nervous (even though he's always thrilled to see them, as with any guest). :dunno:

Thanks!

-Emt1581

2. Berto

Berto woo woo

Is it possible you caused him pain when you grabbed him?
    Dogs will do that fairly instinctively when it's the neck.

3. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

I'm not sure whether I caused him pain or not but.. 1) He didn't yelp or cry or anything as you'd expect from pain. and 2) I've done the exact same thing a ton of times whether it's to get him off the steps, bed, etc. so it's not like I caught him off guard. But even if I did, I'm pretty much the king of the castle and he just knows you don't piss off daddy.

He tried putting his head in my lap several times since he did it (as an "I'm sorry").

But again, the reflex to bite concerns me because this is a dog that will bark like he wants to kill you and then lick you to death.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

4. tarpleyg

tarpleyg

I wouldn't worry about it. You probably spooked him and to be honest, any dog would react like that when hurt or scared.

Greg

5. certifiedfunds

certifiedfunds Cosmopolitan Bias

He's probably just stressed out about the recent passage of the healthcare bill.

Or, you're about to have an earthquake.

6. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

My opinion, you went from master to tormentor and he/she lashed out.

When you commanded the dog to "leave it" and the dog did so it should have been the end of it. Everybody walks away with some pride. When you shove the dog further into submission (by grabbing the scruff) than he feels he's supposed to be he'll try to regain or keep his status.

You're supposed to be the Alpha but, you're supposed to be fair too.

For what it's worth I've never touched my dogs to get them to do my bidding.

7. k9medic

k9medic

My police K9 died 5 years ago, but I spent the better part of 4 years working him, and this is what I have learned:

1. He's a dog.

2. As was mentioned, you probably scared the crap out of him and it was instinctive (re read #1.)

By him trying to "make up", would mean that he realizes that he screwed up. if he did it to a kid then it would be a power thing or a get away from me nip, but it sounds like it was not.

FWIW, my golden retriever will flat out chase me down and chew the crap out of my arm. He doesn't bite down hard, but he sure sound like he's going to kill someone. My two boys try to get him to play rough and he walks away.

Dogs know their place within the pack. Make sure yours does as well.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  8. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

That's a good point I didn't think about the pride issue. But it's just never been an issue before.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

9. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

I run 5 Catahoula Leopard dogs, and if you're not familiar with the breed they're tough enough to open up a can of whoop-ass on wild hogs all year 'round. They know their place, and it's for a reason. If it were one of mine, that dog would have gotten a fist right between the eyes so hard he'd be seeing double for 2 days (I've done it before). If he ever did it again (none have), I'd be down to 4 dogs because I'd be burying one of them. They don't so much as growl at alpha male (me) much less bite.

10. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Yeah he knows his place. Now that some have mentioned it, I really think he was scared or maybe I did overstep and give more of a punishment than was needed.

Either way, we'll call this one a freebie and I'll pay more attention to commands/punishments.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

11. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

I think like Tantrix on this stuff, so with the incoming flame storm I will stick my neck out with him. :whistling:

12. tantrix

tantrix J'aimeLouisiane

No, he doesn't...or that wouldn't have happened.

Dogs are pack animals, and pack mentality is in their blood. Think of your family and your dog as a pride of lions. Do you ever see any other lions in the pride screw with the alpha male? No. Why? They'll get their asses kicked. Same way with dogs. You need to reestablish (and retain) your alpha male status, then the dog will not act aggressively towards you again.

Yeah I know, the bleeding hearts will show up in a minute screaming about animal abuse and how you should have just told him "no!" in a firm voice then thrown him a milk bone. It doesn't work that way.

I'm ready for the hippies. :supergrin:

But seriously...hundreds of wild hogs have passed through my freezer over the years, and every single one of my dogs will die before they let a hog harm me. I must be doing something right.

13. Just1More

Just1More

That's why I'd never own a vicious dog like a GSD.

14. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

He walks on egg shells if I so much as raise my voice. Trust me, this dog KNOWS his place.

I really think this was just a poor decision on both our parts.

Now if he wouldn't have IMMEDIATELY let go and continued to bite...THEN I'd agree with you because that shows me he's made a clear choice and is fighting me.

-Emt1581

15. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

is the same dog that you wanted to train to fight, stick up for himself as he was a wimp?
    :dunno:
    if you grabed the back of my neck and it hurt, what should i do? now remember, im cant talk..
    a.let go of my neck as it hurts
    b. lift my leg and pee on your new shoes
    c. write a letter to the local spca and have them investigate u
    b. grab your hand untill u stop pulling on my neck

:whistling:

16. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

I must side with you guys. If you bite the hand that feeds you, "it's on cuz". A dog is a dog, and dogs make mistakes too, all I'm sayin is that I will always challenge that mistake to be certain we are clear it is/was a mistake. That is all.

17. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

:rofl:

Seriously, this dog looks/sounds like he tear you a new one...but then when push comes to shove he's a gentle giant. He used to get his ass kicked by toy poodles at the dog park!!

-Emt1581

18. emt1581

emt1581 Curious Member

Train to fight? Hell no!! His only job is to bark if he hears someone come by/to the door.

At the same time getting punked by toy dogs wasn't the best thing to see at the park.

-Emt1581

19. Gonetodarkside

Gonetodarkside owl protector

I do remember the thread where you said you needed him to be tougher as to defend you better. I dont think true believer is out of line.

20. uz2bUSMC

uz2bUSMC 10mm defender

Of course, it's a frickin toy poodle! Nobody wants to mess with a toy poodle, frickin mean! Bite you 15 times before you realize it's not gonna let you pet it. Hate those things, man.