close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Concealing at the Gym

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by brentk7, Feb 4, 2010.

1. brentk7

brentk7

Relax, I don't mean while working out.

I am new to the CCW/CCH world. I go to the gym several times a week and yesterday I was wondering how I would work out my carry issue in the locker room. So I thought I would ask you all.

I would like to avoid simply pulling my sidearm out, in the open, in the locker room and putting it in my locker (reverse for putting it back on). The only solution I have thought of is to put the weapon in my gym bag while still in the car/parking lot.

Anyone else have a different solution?

Thanks!

2. Scared_of_zombies

Scared_of_zombies

wear it while working out. (depending on the size of it)

3. Lester R. Britton

Lester R. Britton

Put it in your gymbag prior to entry. If guns aren't allowed, don't take it in.

4. liquidsniper

liquidsniper

I just throw mine in a backpacks back compartment and keep it with me. No need for your piece to go flying out and scare the hottie in the gym next to you (not that piece:whistling:). Plus its much safer than leaving it in a gym locker where it can get stolen as I recall from a thread on here.

5. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Car safe bolted to the car.

6. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Fanny pack. The pack goes into the locker.

I, myself, don't usually fanny pack. But there are times to do it. Like if I go swimming.

7. legends13

legends13

-1:upeyes:

Put it in your bag prior to entry yes. If guns aren't allowed, who cares, take it anyway. No one is going to see it in your bag, and what will they do if they find out, cancel your membership? Who cares, tell them sorry you don't want my business, but my right to self-preservation is more important to me then your gym membership. I will take my business elsewhere.

Also, be sure to take a lock, and lock the locker. You should do this anyway, but it is a must if you are keeping your pistol in there.

8. legends13

legends13

AAHHH! Sorry Ithaca, not bashing you, but statements like this drive me crazy. Why do people insist on saying "I, myself,...." or "I, personally,...."

It is completly redundant. I, myself, and personally, all mean the same thing in this context. you could have just said "I don't usually..."

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine....

9. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I, myself, agree with you. Usually, typically, I tend not to say it like that. Sometimes, I should note, however, it comes out like that. Apparently, if truth be told, we sometimes, but not always, talk like that. It isn't just redundant, but completely, utterly, redundant. Otherwise, in this context, I should not have stated it like that. I, personally, would like to think that I will not do it again.

:)

10. brentk7

brentk7

I understand what you are saying here but in KS (where I live) bringing a weapon into an establishment with a gunbuster is an arrestable offense. Up to the Officer if he wants to arrest you. But I hear ya, the odds of them finding it are slim to non if you are concealing correctly.

Luckily, the Gym in question does not have a gunbuster on the door.

11. legends13

legends13

:rofl::rofl: Thank you for taking this in the context I (,personnaly) meant it. Many people now days can't take a comment like that without getting all upset.

You had me rolling while reading that!

12. legends13

legends13

what is a gunbuster? A no guns sign?

Wow, one law that we have going for us in NY...Also nothing about taking a gun where they seerve alchohol here, just can't consume. Yay NY, the new Red State. :rofl:

13. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

i went to walmart in their camping / hiking section,

they have small fanny packs / waist bags,

one has 2 water bottle holders in it, i took the straps and connected them to the bag again so its just like a duffle bag, but really small, holds a gun, along with wallet/ keys really well,

thten just hang your jacket up in the locker, and wear your sweats or shorts or whatetver to the gym, and just take that bag with you from machine to machine,

14. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I don't know of any laws against drinking while carrying a gun in NYS.

Do you have a link or law section #?

15. Sgt_Gold

Sgt_Gold

16. brentk7

brentk7

in KS you can conceal (with a permit of course) while drinking but you MUST be under .08. Just like driving.

Although you cannot carry in a bar (bar being a place that 51% of its revenue comes from alcohol sales) at all. And it is your responsibility to know if it is a 'bar' or not. I am not a fan of that law. I support the .08 limit while concealing but if I am in a 'bar' but am not drinking, i don't know why I should have to disarm.

17. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Because it's inconvenient, of course. Has nothing to do with whether it's a bar or a park, the more places they can get off limits the more people will decide it's not worth carrying and the fewer people will actually bother getting permits. Isn't that obvious?

18. lbckid19

lbckid19

c'mon man, no fanny packs:music:
    ever seen these smilies?

19. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Thanks for the link :)

Let's hope it doesn't make it to law.

But if it does, it isn't against drinking, only against being drunk.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Well, getting back on topic...

Does the business post a sign saying no guns, or is it in the membership agreement or what? If the business posts a legal sign, and it would be against the law for you to take a gun in the building because of the sign, then I'd say the answer is obvioius. Leave the gun locked in the vehicle or at home. I'd also strongly consider another gym.

As for locking it in your locker... I'd give this thread a read.
    http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138514

Lot of good suggestions in that thread, as I said in that thread, I'd seriously look at the fanny pack. When it looks functional(ie, holding wallet, keys, ipod, etc.) its hardly payed any notice.

IGF