Concealed Carry while flying

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by beachside39, Aug 10, 2004.

1. beachside39

beachside39

Anybody else carrying CCW while flying their own aircraft interstate and/or intrastate?

It's been a concern with current security issues but I haven't been too concerned as long as I stay away from airline terminals.

I read that Georgia laws forbid concealed carry even in non-sterile areas of airport terminals as well as MARTA train stations or any public buildings? I wonder if they'd have a problem if I leave it in my aircraft? What's the point in having a CCW permit if you can't carry in public?

Anyone else care to comment pro or con?

2. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

My flight instructor took his CCW course from me and now he is teaching me to fly. We both carry all the time. Just have to be careful when you fly into states that do not allow firearms or honor your CCW permit.

IMHO, if you have, or pilot, a small aircraft you owe it to yourself and the nation to be vigilant and prepared to defend yourself and the possible commandering or hi-jacking of your plane.

We have gone through angles of fire and tactics in the small cockpits. Don't want to take out a prop, engine or wing (fuel cells).

3. BillCola

BillCola Supreme Cmdr ®

That's my take on it.

4. MarcDW

MarcDW MDW Guns Millennium Member

Also if you ever have an unscheduled off airport landing (I would never use the word "crash";)).
    Can't hurt to have a gun then!

5. flygirl

flygirl

As far as I know on the small strip "Merrill Field" you can carry. But at the International terminal NO way.

6. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Have any of you read the officail FAA "Flight training" manual for the private. It is the 8083 book. In one section, it actually recomends having a pistol, rifle, or shotgun with ammo in the plane. One Federal recomendation I follow with glee.

Flygirl, why would you want to go into the Int terminal?

7. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

I guess the concern that occurs occasionally is when I fly into another state where me ccw doesn't apply. Then I have to leave it in the plane or case it for car transport none of which seems like a good idea. A plane is the least secure place there is!!!!

8. Peteinco

Peteinco

I routinely carry when flying east, and have carried at Eppley, Des Moines International, Cheyenne, Iowa City, and even DuPage in Illinois. DuPage was the only one who checked people for weapons, and in their case thier policy is to turn the weapon over to the PIC for safekeeping.