Concealed Carry Reform Legislation to be Heard Today in Ohio!

Discussion in 'Ohio Glockers' started by hamster, Mar 24, 2010.

1. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Concealed Carry Reform Legislation to be Heard Tomorrow in Ohio![/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Please Contact the Members of the Senate Judiciary - Criminal Justice Committee Today![/FONT]
    On Wednesday, March 24, at 10:15 a.m. in the South Hearing Room, the Senate Judiciary - Criminal Justice Committee will be hearing sponsor testimony on Senate Bill 239, which would make numerous pro-gun improvements to Ohio’s gun laws.

SB239, sponsored by State Senators Shannon Jones (R-7) and Tim Shaffer (R-31), would eliminate the current confusing standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. In addition, the proposal would also allow permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided they are not consuming, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio.

Ohio has overly burdensome stipulations regarding how a concealed firearm must be carried in a motor vehicle. Current law specifies that a firearm must be either be:

1.) In a holster secured on the person.

2.) In a closed case, bag, box, or other container that is in plain sight and that has a lid, a cover, or a closing mechanism with a zipper, snap, or buckle, which must be opened for a person to gain access to the handgun.

3.) The loaded handgun is securely encased by being stored in a closed glove compartment or center console, or in a case that is locked. A locked case does not need to be in plain sight (an unlocked case does).

SB239 is a critical step forward to help assure that Ohio permit holders or permit holders of other states are not arrested for accidentally carrying their firearm in a prohibited manner.
    Please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary - Criminal Justice Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to support SB239. Contact information for the committee can be found below.

State Senator
    Tim Grendell (R-18), Chair
    (614) 644-7718
    SD18@senate.state.oh.us

State Senator Jim Hughes (R-16), Vice Chair
    (614) 466-5981
    SD16@senate.state.oh.us

State Senator Nina Turner (D-25)

(614) 466-4583
    SD25@maild.sen.state.oh.us

State Senator Kevin Coughlin (R-27)
    (614) 466-4823
    SD27@senate.state.oh.us

State Senator Keith Faber (R-12)

(614) 466-7584
    SD12@senate.state.oh.us

State Senator David Goodman (R-3)
    (614) 466-8064
    SD03@senate.state.oh.us

State Senator Joe Schiavoni (D-33)
    (614) 466-8285
    SD33@maild.sen.state.oh.us

State Senator Bill Seitz (R-8)
    (614) 466-8068
    SD08@senate.state.oh.us

State Senator Shirley Smith (D-21)
    (614) 466-4857
    SD21@maild.sen.state.oh.us

2. OneBigDude

OneBigDude

Any word on how this turned out?

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

Yeah, I wouldn't mind being able to get decent pizza or BBQ with my family.

Since I haven't had a drink in 30+ years, I think I am safe.

4. Lake Effect

Lake Effect "Member" Lifetime Member