Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on two trips this year on my Trike. From Ohio to Sturgis in the summer and Ohio to Florida in September round trip for both. Should I carry my Glock 19 Gen 5 in a holster covered or in my Tour Pak luggage? For the Sturgis trip I am going thru Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minneapolis and South Dakota & Wyoming. For the Florida trip, I am going thru West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia into Florida. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,685 Posts
I have run into the same problem on my Softtail. So far I haven't found a good answer but my next effort is going to be a good shoulder holster. I carry a Beretta Centurion, so I've got a little more weight to deal with. I've heard from buddies of mine that a shoulder is the way to go and they specifically mentioned the Galco Miami Vice or Bianchi.

·
Banned
3,808 Posts
A Carjacker Crossdraw from http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm or something similar might work for you. In the states your permit is valid, the states that do not honor your permit you will have to find a way to comply with FOPA in those states, to separate lockable compartments should be a good start.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
How you carry should be common sense and easy to decide but you probably will need a lock up box too if your really going to drive threw ILLINOIS and for me that's only FAST1 and FortKnox . I would drop down into Tennessee and avoid IL . At least buy a box with a simplex lock . In the 20 years of riding while I also cc'd I carried on my body , no different than working or a night out or driving for a long day . Always at a 3:00 IWB set high as I always had a jacket on when riding or t shirt when off the bike I did move from a leather gear to ballistic polyester tourmaster transition gear in later years . Had to stop riding 6 years ago but used a comp-tac neutral for 14 years now and a ride or drive back to south florida wasn't a big deal CC's a 4" class pistol . Considering I rode for years out of in SW FL I never found heat a problem in brown learther with a proper jacket with some vents but the rain !! . I changed to tourmaster gear do to being waterproof also .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How you carry should be common sense and easy to decide but you probably will need a lock up box too if your really going to drive threw ILLINOIS and for me that's only FAST1 and FortKnox . I would drop down into Tennessee and avoid IL . At least buy a box with a simplex lock . In the 20 years of riding while I also cc'd I carried on my body , no different than working or a night out or driving for a long day . Always at a 3:00 IWB set high as I always had a jacket on when riding or t shirt when off the bike I did move from a leather gear to ballistic polyester tourmaster transition gear in later years . Had to stop riding 6 years ago but used a comp-tac neutral for 14 years now and a ride or drive back to south florida wasn't a big deal CC's a 4" class pistol . Considering I rode for years out of in SW FL I never found heat a problem in brown learther with a proper jacket with some vents but the rain !! . I changed to tourmaster gear do to being waterproof also .
Thanks for the response. I checked the CCW map yesterday and saw Illinois is a problem. I have two separate locked compartments on the trike, the top tour Pak and the trunk. I will keep ammo and my Glock in separate locked areas thru Illinois. That should work.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
If you are traveling thru IL and have a CCW from your home state then you are permitted to have your loaded CCW on you. If you leave your vehicle tho the CCW is required to be secured in the vehicle.
430 ILCS 66/40 Sec. 40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
If you are traveling thru IL and have a CCW from your home state then you are permitted to have your loaded CCW on you. If you leave your vehicle tho the CCW is required to be secured in the vehicle.
430 ILCS 66/40 Sec. 40
(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.
Being Illinois, the word within could cause you potential problems on a bike/trike. Better to lock it up if set on going the Ill. route. JMO

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Being Illinois, the word within could cause you potential problems on a bike/trike. Better to lock it up if set on going the Ill. route. JMO
Do what ever you want. I provided the statute.IL has long held being on a bike is viewed the same as being in any vehicle.
For your education IL is not as anti-gun as the internet stories spread by those who dont have a clue make it out to be. Dont believe everything you read in the internet. People repeating those tales probably have never been out of their parents basement to have been to IL and a lot of them arent smart enough to find it on a map.
As long as a person follows the statute then they won't have a problem.

·
Old timer
15,359 Posts
I find it easiest to pocket carry in the inside pocket of my jacket (my jacket has a pocket that seems to be designed for a cross-draw). Not terribly accessible, but better than locked up in the bags. And it goes with me when I dismount.

Of course, I don't have to go thru Illinois...

·
Registered
314 Posts
I am planning on two trips this year on my Trike. From Ohio to Sturgis in the summer and Ohio to Florida in September round trip for both. Should I carry my Glock 19 Gen 5 in a holster covered or in my Tour Pak luggage? For the Sturgis trip I am going thru Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Minneapolis and South Dakota & Wyoming. For the Florida trip, I am going thru West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia into Florida. Any advice is appreciated.
Are you legal for CCW in all of those states?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.