close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Concealed Carry Holster

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by KravGirl, Oct 29, 2004.

1. KravGirl

KravGirl

Hello Girls,
    I was recently reading an issue of Concealed Carry magazine, where they were discussing different holsters. Of course, I do not have have the article in front of me at the moment, but there was one holster mentioned specifically as designed for women (as our hips are just a little but different from men's hips).
    Does anyone have a holster or carry method (besides a purse) that you would recommend?

Also - do you use a different holster when at the range?

Thanks!

;7

2. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I like my ThreatSolutions UCR for the 1911 pistol for IWB carry. I also like the SmartCArry band for ultra-covert carry. I do have a Coronado Leather purse for carry when on-body carry is not an option.

3. KravGirl

KravGirl

Thanks Vic303!

Anyone else have any suggestions?

4. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Krav, no problem! I'd also suggest buying a good carry belt if you plan for on-body carry. I can recommend anything by Tucker Gunleather, or Rafter S Gunleather. 1.5" width is pretty standard minimum...you can order 1.25 but it won't carry quite as well as a wide belt.
    www.tuckergunleather.com
    www.raftersgunleather.com

5. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

A little depends on how concealed you need to be, and what firearm you want to carry.

I recently got a SmartCarry for my S&W Airweight revolver, and like it very much for very concealed carry. For a competition and belt holster, Cendex http://www.cen-dex.com/ makes what they call a Lo-Boy Drop Holster, which was designed for women. I have a couple of these, for a Glock and a Beretta, and they fit very well. That 1" drop makes a lot of difference with hips. I also think you need to carry forward or backward of where men usually wear their hip holsters.

I have also seen spacers that put the top of the holster out more from the body so you aren't drawing right into your ribcage.

6. Glockgirl26

Glockgirl26

I have a Galco ankle band for my G26 for when waist carry is not an option. As far as waist carry, I have a FIST OWB that is very comfortable and pretty easy to conceal. I do have a purse for off body carry, but this is my last option.

7. Amelia

Amelia

I have a leather IWB made by a guy in B'ham (can't think of his name at the moment) that i love. it's the only thing that doesn't hurt my hip, esp. as i've lost a lot of weight and have less padding there. i have a sidearmor kydex iwb but it's just to hard against my hip. i stick with owb for kydex.

Amelia

8. AAshooter

AAshooter

One suggestion is the Blade-tech Dropped Offset holsters. These seem popular with many women. Blade-tech describes them:

The "offset" feature of this holster allows for a greater degree of outward cant, which positions the grip of your pistol away from the body in a vertical position for more positive indexing. This popular holster also features a "drop" which lowers the placement of the pistol for an easier reach, allowing the arm to remain more extended. The Drop&Offset holster is very popular for range work and is perfect for women's contours. The loop is adjustable for three different cants, Straight Drop, FBI cant, Muzzle Forward.

Here is the link:
    http://www.blade-tech.com/frontend?command=ProductMatrix&iProductId=948&iSectionId=4364

The downside is they are a little less concealable but tend to be more comfortable for women.

9. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

I've got one of those BladeTech Ladies Offset Drop holsters and love it. It's very comfortable, but as was mentioned, it isn't as easy to conceal as other holsters, so baggy clothes, or long cardigans or somesuch have become the norm for me. It's great for competition shooting tho. :)

I'm going to be getting a leather IWB holster as well, and don't expect that to be nearly as comfortable due to my curves. You might try a cross draw holster or a belly band too. I've got a belly band. OR, depending on what you're carrying, a pocket holster may work well too - for small guns like Kel-Tecs or J-frames.

Lots of options. I imagine we'll all end up like the guys, with a box full or drawer full of holsters we tried and didn't like. So far, I've been happy (and lucky) with the choices I've made. Knock-on-wood.

Take care,
    MElissa :)

10. Kolchak

Kolchak cries easily

Already there;T

11. echo

echo Libertarian

I wear a womens FIST holster for my G17/22. Very Comfortable, it took a while to break in but well worth the time. Be sure you wear a good strong belt that fits properly. I also have a safariland shoulder holster for wear under jackets when my garment doesn't allow for a belt. Finally a Smartcarry for the LSW32 & special [read:rare]carry circumstances.

Rach