Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site and to Glocks. I'm looking for a carry weapon. I have settled on a 19 or a 26. My question is: Is the 26 much better than the 19 for carry in terms of size, weight etc. in your experience? I have big hands and it seems like the 19 would be a more comfortable shooter overall. But I'd like to keep it low profile when carrying.

Eventually, I'll get a chance to hold each of these. But I'd like to hear some advice.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
14,112 Posts
If you are like most people with big hands, what you will probably end up doing with a 26 is adding a grip extension, which makes the pistol almost the same grip length as a 19.....but with a shorter sight radius and less rounds.

FWIW, the 19 is arguably the perfect Glock platform in terms of size , weight, councealabilty, shooting manners, and caliber. It is a GREAT pistol that does everything well, and conceals just as well as the 26 with a decent holster setup like a Crossbreed Supertuck or an M-Tac, or a Milt Sparks Summer Special.

If it were me, I'd go with the 19, all around.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Hi Taboot,

Welcome to the site.

I have both guns that you are asking about. Nine times out of ten I'll grab the 26 for carrying. I carry OWB with an untucked shirt and find that the shorter barrel and grip make it much easier to hide. Not that the 19 is some huge firearm, but I find the 26 to be perfect for concealed carry--especially now that it's getting warmer.

The difference in ease and comfort of carry between the two is negligible. During cooler temps when the layers are a heavier the 19 is a breeze to carry concealed. It's also my camping gun when I don't care as much about people noticing I'm carrying.

All that said, either will serve you well. I shoot both of mine quite often and love the way my 26 handles but I'd probably have to give the 19 a slight edge as far as controlability and quick follow ups. That's a given with the larger grip and longer slide. As I'm sure others will recommend, try getting to a range, rent them both and run a box or two through them. That's the best way to tell if your hand size is going to really make a difference.

Good luck! ---VELO

ETA: Ranger's right about the grip extensions and such. If you find that the 26 doesn't fit your hand well without mag extensions, go with the 19 for sure. No sense in turning your 26 into a 19 with less capacity and a short barrel. ---V

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I own both and much prefer the 26 to the 19. Depending on weather and whatnot, the 26 from the start is much easier to conceal. The weight difference, to me at least, is negligible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I checked out that Supertuck holster. I never knew about IWB carry holsters like that. I watched some videos reviewing it. It sounds like a great solution for carrying a 19 or a 26. I'll check out the other 2 mentioned as well. In Connecticut, you have to be pretty careful to not let anyone see (or suspect) that you're carrying.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Just thought I'd bring up another point. If you ever plan on using this as a nightstand gun I would recommend the G19. The G26 does not have a rail for mounting lights/lasers. The G19 is still pretty small and as others have mentioned, more versatile. I've got two of 'em!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have both. I carry the biggest one that will work with what I will be wearing that day. Sometimes I have both.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The G19 is absolutely the top 9mm around, in my opinion. It's my favorite Glock of all--comfortable to use, simple to operate, easy to shoot well and as reliable as any machine can be. It does require a well-designed holster to carry comfortably and, when you meet the requirements of dress and holster, it's a top carry piece.

I have both the G19 and the G26 but I mostly carry the G26. It's smaller and more convenient, especially if you like pocket holsters (I do). Add a Pearce +0 grip extension to the magazines and it fits big hands adequately--not as comfortably as the G19 grip but well enough.

·
Registered
176 Posts
A 19 will be no trouble to carry with the right holster. I carry a full size 17 in a Foubs paddle OWB holster even with just a golf shirt over it with no problems.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I have the 19 and 23 as well as the 27. For me the 27 conceals easier. But as others have said, you cant go wrong with either. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks all. I'm pretty sure I'll with the 19. I won't be carrying often, and from what you've all said, it sounds like the difference between the 19 and 26 isn't that big. It will also be the nightstand gun, so the ability to mount a light or laser might be a factor eventually. I have a Beretta 92F now, and I think it is just too big to carry and for some reason(s) I just don't like the thing. I've read up on several alternatives, but I keep landing on Glock.

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have both. My G19 is my home defense gun, and the G26 I carry.

·
NRA Member
2,412 Posts
If you can conceal it no matter what you wear, then get the 19. But if you have to deal with lightweight clothing in the summer, and you're not willing to wear a loose-fitting patterned cover garment, then you're likely to have issues concealing it well.

Thing is, the 19 can't get smaller if you need it to. The 26 can get bigger by adding mag extensions, using a G19 mag with an A&G sleeve, etc...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I settled it for myself. I just went to a nearby gun shop. They had a G26 but no G19 or similar sized Glock. The G26 just doesn't suit my hands. I would definitely need an extension on the magazine. The other thing was, I could not actuate the mag release with one hand, at all. I have meatball hands I guess. I tried a XD of similar size. I didn't really like it. The sights didn't suit me like the Glocks did. And the Glock seemed better balanced to me.

I'll find a G19 to try out. Anyone else find the mag release tough one-handed?

·
Banned
43 Posts
I own a 19 (which I love), and I find it a complete breeze to carry in my MTAC IWB holster (comp-tac.com). And I always carry it. I have to feel for the gun on my side every now and then to remind myself its there.

I would also like to get a 26 in the future, but I think starting with the 19 was a great idea.

As far as the mag release goes, I have to twist the gun slightly in my hand (while still pointing down range), to engage it. This becomes second nature and I don't have a problem in the least with it. I use it for IDPA and it has never ever been a concern. It also feels natural to do it and I don't even think about it.

Bottom line - try it out in your hand. Until then you may be wasting your time waying up the pro's and cons.

I think I settled it for myself. I just went to a nearby gun shop. They had a G26 but no G19 or similar sized Glock. The G26 just doesn't suit my hands. I would definitely need an extension on the magazine. The other thing was, I could not actuate the mag release with one hand, at all. I have meatball hands I guess. I tried a XD of similar size. I didn't really like it. The sights didn't suit me like the Glocks did. And the Glock seemed better balanced to me.

I'll find a G19 to try out. Anyone else find the mag release tough one-handed?

·
Registered
85 Posts
The local shop got a 26 in stock, which I wasn't expecting-no one seems to have them in my area these days, so I tried it in my CTAC (slide sized for 17/19/26/34/17L/etc:embarassed:) and it just disappeared. I had been thinking I would get one at some point, but that sort of sealed the deal for me. I'm pretty new to carrying, but I think the small size is perfect, especially in the summer when shorts and t-shirts are the norm. I might also try the desantis superfly with the flap over it to break up the print for pocket carry once I pick up a 26.
If you can only have one gun, go with 19. If you have options, get both!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts