Concealed carry & clothing

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by G22/23/27, Nov 20, 2003.

1. G22/23/27

G22/23/27

I am looking to conceal carry in an ankle holster, when carrying IWB is too difficult due to clothing restrictions. I have found that most pants have tapered legs, therefore not working to conceal an ankle holster w/ a G27. Does anyone have any ideas for pants to wear with an ankle holster?

2. Lupine

Lupine raining here

Thankfully, tapered legs really aren't the style these days. Long, straight-legged or slightly-flaired cuffs are all the rage. Especially with tapered-toe low-heel pumps or short boots.

Invest in a few pairs of high-quality, LINED slacks...a good excuse to get some nice pantsuits if you work in a more formal atmosphere (also sexy hot for a night on the town). Practice sitting in your slacks when trying them on to see how far up they ride up on your leg. Try various sitting positions.

Lined slacks will help eliminate the outline of the gun showing through the fabric; also, slicker linings help prevent the fabric from catching on the holster/gun.

If you like to wear jeans, you've got plenty of options in leg with. Tapered legs are not in style. (Low-waistbands, however, are--making waistband or belt carry difficult for this particular hipster chick. :cool:

As for ankle holsters, be sure to get training specific to that method of carry--and make sure you get a the best holster you can afford. I've heard horrible stories about them coming apart or sliding down. Good luck, and let me know what you came up with (clothing AND holsters!)

3. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

I've heard Lou Alessi makes a great ankle holster. You might want to check it out. Also try a smartcarry rig. Works super under things like sweatpants, elastic waistband shorts or pants. Best if pants are pleated in front, btw.

4. Lupine

Lupine raining here

...Thunderwear?

Ladies, I'm curious about your holster choices. Not quite sure how well most IWB holsters would work for me.

5. Vic303

Vic303 Senior Member

Thunderwear is almost the same as SmartCarry. I love my SC. Works great in summer clothes, esp. elastic waisted shorts. Try www.smartcarry.com for Charlie's website. Great service there too.

6. G22/23/27

G22/23/27

I finally was able to get a pair of slacks. The Galco ankle holster with slacks worked better than I expected. Thank-you for the suggestion. When I get enough money, I will try the Thunderwear / SmartCarry. I greatly appreciate the suggestions.

7. Melissa Ann

Melissa Ann

I know at least a couple people who use a smartcarry holster and like it quite well. They've said that they even forget it's there.

Personally, I live in NJ so carry's not an issue for me - yet. I'm moving to PA soon (been saying that for a very long time now ;Q ) but when I do, I have a nice bellyband to use with either my 1911 or my boyfriend's g17 and will likely use a pocketholster and a little jframe, or maybe i'll go on a spending binge and buy myself a g36 and either a pocket holster for it, or a nice IWB :D. I"m not sure i'd go with an ankle holster myself, simply because 1) i'm a big girl and reaching my ankle in a stressful time might prove a bit difficult - besides i practice with a belt holster all the time and 2) even if i wasn't a big girl, that's a long distance to cover to get something that i need to save my life NOW! i want my gun to be as close and convenient to my hand as possible. But there are so many of them out there, they must come in handy for more than just a handful of folks.

melissa

8. Lew-G17

Lew-G17

What about a "tuckable" IWB?

9. Amelia

Amelia

I have never tried ankle carry, but IWB is my usual. I doubt ankle carry would work for me... but it would be nice to try sometime.

I use a leather canted IWB holster that was made by a semi-local (ie. bigger city an hour away) leatherworkergenius. I tried kydex (which i love for OWB) but it would not work for IWB... i am rounded and soft and kydex is not! The key to IWB is being sure your pants have enough extra space to go around the gun and holster as well. As I have been losing weight, it's been easy to ahve pants a bit big in the waist. Of course, there is that thing about low riding pants that are so popular these days, but as i'm nearly pushing 40 I don't much care if i'm exactly in style with the youngsters. :eek:)

I don't have any trouble concealing this IWB holster and my G26 under most clothes, particularly vests or untucked shirts or light jackets or sweaters. Mid-summer temps make things a bit more difficult, but still doable.

Your mileage may vary.

:eek:)

Amelia

10. bit_o_sweets

bit_o_sweets

flared pants are a lot more common now days and even sweat pants without the elastic are become popular,so check for these items...or if all eles fails get a sewing machine and practice hemming ;f