Conceal Carry At The Gym

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by johns9761, Mar 20, 2010.

1. johns9761

johns9761 New Glock Fan!!

I know this may sound a little paranoid. But for those of you who don't remember, about 7 months ago some nut-job walks into a gym and opens fire on an exercise class. He killed 3 or 4 women, injured 9 others, and then killed himself. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,537004,00.html

So, I'm at the gym the other day thinking to myself...what the hell would I do if the same thing happened while I'm working out?!?! I carry my gun just about everywhere. I even carry to the gym because, as of right now, firearms are a gray area...they're not exactly encouraged, but they're also not banned. The only problem is that I only carry as far as my locker. So, my concern is that if there was a need to defend myself or others, my gun isn't exactly within arms reach. I'm considering purchasing a Maxpedition CCW bag and taking it into the actual work-out area with me from now on. I figure that if I put a bottle of water, a towel, and some supplements in it, nobody would even give it a second look. I personally don't think you can ever be too cautious.

Does anybody carry when they go workout? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. actionshooter10

actionshooter10 CLM

3. kshutt

kshutt

I can tell you this. I have two of the Maxpedition CCW bags. I guess they're the modern version of the "fanny pack." I have the "Fatboy" versipack and the "Jumbo" versipack. Incredibly well made equipment, and you can carry a lot of stuff with these bad boys. Believe me, they look tactical...not like "man purses." I think you're on the right track. One of mine goes with me almost everywhere. Both the black and OD green look awesome, but they come in every color that you could possibly want.

4. johns9761

johns9761 New Glock Fan!!

If only I had the extra $7 Billion to shell out for one of these.

Nobody would even suspect that within the oddly rifle shaped protrusions hides...a rifle!

But on another note...I really need to get one of these for the occasional hiking trip.

5. Sharkey

Sharkey

I've never had anyone give me a second look carrying my Maxpedition bag in the gym.

I just bought a knock off Remora like bag so we'll see how that carries at the gym.

A gun in your car can be stolen and one locked in the locker does you no good IMHO.

6. Ironbar

Ironbar

I keep all of my extra workout gear in my bag along with my clothes and towels. When I arrive at the gym, I dress down and put all my street clothes in my locker. I carry my workout bag with me on the gym floor, and never let it out of my sight.

In my bag in addition to all my gear (weight belt, lifting straps, etc.), I keep my towel, cell phone, iPod, and my gun. I keep my gun between the folds of my towel, and I keep the top unzipped enough to have easy access in case of emergency.

When I shower, I bring my bag with me into the shower area and put it on a shower chair they have in there, and I use the shower directly next to it. Either that or I head home and shower there. I never let my bag out of my sight.

To me this is safer than leaving it in the car or locker.

7. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

I have found that the best means of carry at the gym is a fanny pack. They are common at gyms since muscle heads loves them and many people use them to carry their cell phones, iPods and other junk with them as they work out.

many manufacturers make a fanny pack that has a hidden rear compartment with a built in holster. You simply pull firmly on a small strap and the front section of the pack zips away revealing the holster and gun if it is ever needed.

You can get smaller ones like this Galco model shown in the first two pics below (the one I use for the gym) that carry very discretely...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...or you can get slightly larger and my rugged looking ones like the Blackhawk one in the next two pics (the one I use for camping/hiking).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. concrete

concrete

[​IMG]

This in sweats/shorts pocket...

9. glockman23

glockman23

+1 on the Pug. I could conceal mine about anywhere. Pocket carry could work, but it would get annoying if you were running or something. A eyeglass or cellphone case in the pocket would work well too. .22 magnum to the face could buy you time to get to your locker and get something bigger.

These little guys should be pulled on the sly, and used at arm's length or contact range. They aren't "standoff" guns.

They also make little holsters that clip into your waistband and let your T shirt hang over it. That might be an even better option.

The .22 lr mini would be even smaller, but not by much.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  10. glockman23

glockman23

11. Hendricks433

Hendricks433

There's lots of these threads. I just made one a few weeks ago. Yes carry at the gym, the pack your looking at will work great. I also carry my wallet, flashlight, knife and keys in my bag as well in case someone decides to break into my locker and steal my stuff.

12. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

There's been a ton of threads on this here the last few weeks. A search would turn up most the same responses...

Yes, don't EVER leave your gun in a gym locker or locked vehicle! http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1138514

Thieves know you will be preoccupied for a while, and will have time to act.

I agree w/ PlayboyPenguin. Fanny pack is the most versatile, and don't look incredibly out of place at the gym. Since I rarely have pockets, I just keep my wallet, phone, zune and keys in mine as well, and nobody is the wiser. I don't use a Galco however, I use a Tommy's Gun Pack... They are $79 on their site, but go to their site, and measure your gun per their instructions... Then get on Ebay and search Tommy's Gun Pack, and you'll find them for between $20-$30 bucks. I keep mine loose enough where I can turn it to the side if I need to lay on my chest. I've been happy how this system works for me.

I personally would never carry off-body, way to easy to get distracted.

IGF

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  13. stengun

stengun

Howdy,

Just a little too gay for me.

Yep, the little "Man purse" holds everything except your manhood.:upeyes:

I've been going to the gym for over 30 years and have never seen a need to carry a gun in the gym. I can see not leaving it your car where it might be stolen.

Face it, you cannot spend your entire life afraid. Heck, the most dangerous thing you can do is get into the passenger seat of an auto.

Paul

14. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/20283352/detail.html
    http://www.tuftsdaily.com/woman-assaulted-outside-of-cousens-gym-1.2087166
    http://northeastportland.katu.com/content/woman-attacked-24-hour-fitness-garage

That is pure, liberal, BS. "Oh, you're so scared you have to carry your gun around with you," etc.. I don't carry a gun because I'm scared, I carry a gun to be prepared. I've accepted there are evil people in this world. Sometimes they aren't easy to pick out, and walk among us daily... They are all different races and ages, they wear anything from suits, to clothes they've dug out of trash cans.

You can never be to prepared

IGF

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  15. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin

If your "manhood" is so precarious that a belt pack can call it into question, you might want to just start shopping for dresses anyway. ;)

16. Mountain10mm

Mountain10mm

I usually don't feel the need to carry at the gym, but I understand the concern. If you go the fanny pack route, I'd opt for something that looks more electronics orientated, something that might hold a CD player or IPod. If you have headphones coming out of the pack, no one would ever know that you're James Bond spying on a KGB agent with your PPK stashed in the pack. The real questions is how do your carry if you're a lap swimmer...not a lot pockets in a Speedo.

17. glockman23

glockman23

Stengun-

I agree.

That fanny packs are gay looking.

The other comments you made are moronic, especially considering you're posting on a handgun forum.

Next you'll try and tell us to disarm while swimming at the local YMCA or showering.:upeyes:

18. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

You can conceal one of these at Nudist Camp!

[​IMG]

I do not understand the folks that say "I do not feel a need to carry at the gym".

Feel a need? "Feel"?

You only carry where you feel the need?

The Boy Scout Motto, that has served me well my whole life, is, "Be Prepared".
    Not "Be Prepared, where you feel the need".

Please, reconsider your thinking.

19. Ribbler

Ribbler

This does come up every other month or so. I've tried the fanny pack at the gym and hated it. I now use a smart carry at 3:00 inside the gym shorts. I carry a XD 40 Sub with absolutely no trouble. Plenty of fire power and concealment is no problem. I've carried this way for years. It works perfectly for running, weight lifting and cycling.

20. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

As long as you find what works for you, that's all that matters. :thumbsup:.

I've personally never been a huge fan of smartcarry, and once I started carrying OWB, found I liked any type of IWB even less.

IGF