close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer Wargames

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by frizz, Nov 12, 2012.

1. frizz

frizz

I may have asked, but...

Who likes them? I have been playing Battles from the Bulge, which has a really cool approach and interface. It is also "real-time" or more accurately, constant action. You do not take turns with your opponent because both of you are constantly maneuvering against each other.

So what's your preference?

2. CitizenOfDreams

CitizenOfDreams

Starcraft.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012

3. RonS

RonS Millennium Member

4. Viper16

Viper16

Starcraft is still my favorite game...although the last Command and Conquer game I played was Tiberium Wars...and I thought that was fun.

5. Stompy

Stompy

I was into the "Mother of All Games" for a very long tme. Its called Total Annihilation.

6. frizz

frizz

Another wargame that kicks the butt is The Operational Art of War. It is a traditional hex-grid, turn-based game, but there is a scenario maker and an active community. It is geared for "WWII" to "WW3" but there are well-ranked Civil War scenarios.

It can go from a small battle to an entire campaign. Actually, there is a Korean War simulation which starts just after the first US/UN involvement.

7. frizz

frizz

8. frizz

frizz

There is a "Beer & Pretzels" game "Command HQ" that was a nifty continuous-action game. It came out in 1991 or so, but you can get it on download sites.

It was very simplified; to send an armor or infantry unit across the sea, you just gave it a destination, and it just automatically went to sea without any logistics involved.

On the other hand, you had an economy that let you produce whatever unit you wanted as the points got high enough. Infantry, tanks, air, subs, cruisers, and aircraft carriers.

May have been Beer and Pretzels, but it was less complicated than chess. Against a smart human opponent, it was a strong intellectual challenge.

9. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Battle from the bulge" seriously?? is that based on the Battle OF the bulge?

or is that like "All you base are belong to us!"

:rofl:

10. frizz

frizz

Not at all.

Battles FROM the Bulge. (Note the plural battles.)

If you think about it, using formal military terminology, the "Battle of the Bulge" should be called a campaign. It was Hitler's campaign to seize the port in Antwerp. The campaign, just as any campaign, was made up of many different battles at different times and in different locations.

If I recall, you were/are a lawyer. Think of how the laymen use the term hearsay.

11. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

They don't call it campaign of the bulge because people would think it was some kind of weight loss software by Richard Simmons.

:rofl:

12. frizz

frizz

They didn't have Richard Simmons back in WWII, silly man. :supergrin:

If we did, the government would have recruited him to go into Nazi Germany and "recruit" German soldiers to be gay and wreck the Wehrmacht!

But seriously, do you get my comparison between "battle" and "hearsay" as they relate to military profession and the legal profession?

And are/were you a lawyer? I seem to remember that...

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  13. dherloc

dherloc X-Nuc

War in the Pacific - Admirals Edition

PBEM turn based game in the Pacific Theater during WW2. 1 day = 1 turn. My opponent and I have been playing for about 5 years or so...maybe more since we played the initial game WitP also.

You control every ship, plane and unit in that theater. It is NOT for the faint of heart due to the time committment as well as the attention to detail that is required.

But...it is the ultimate WW2 game out there right now.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admiral's.Edition

14. Mr Spock

Mr Spock Vulcan

15. frizz

frizz

Thanks for the mini-review!

I have read really good things about this, and now I'm even more tempted. If I didn't have the Operational Art of War and Battles from the Bulge holding my interest, I'd likely grab it.

I do have one minor objection: controlling every unit. As you have probably observed, controlling a bajillion units can get overwhelming. But that is a matter of taste.

In BotB, the coolest feature is giving a command to the commander of, say a battalion, and letting him(via the Artificial Intelligence) control the subordinate line companies and support platoons.

You can also add mech. infantry companies to an armored battalion, and you have a combined force that will be more effective for a chosen area's terrain. Or maybe you'll want to mix armor with light infantry. There is a lot of flexibility. You can even create a task force of only two companies if the job calls for it.

There is a working demo on the matrix.com website that runs the tutorial scenario. You can "try before you buy" and be confident that you like the game first. In addition to learning the ropes, you can have a ball with this just by itself.

Demo link is on this page:
    http://www.matrixgames.com/products/377/downloads/Command Ops: Battles from the Bulge

There are also several video lessons by the developers on this page and on Youtube.