close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

computer to computer transfer

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by troyboy30, Aug 20, 2004.

1. troyboy30

troyboy30

Would the easiest way to trasfer music, video and pics from one computer to another in the same house, be a direct connection? I know it's probably not the fastest, but is it the easiest and cheapest?

also, what are the steps to transfer bookmarks (internet favorites)? Is it as easy and transfering the whole folder?

2. MB-G26

MB-G26 Non-existent STUPID GURL Lifetime Member

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180587&highlight=freeware

"Transferring old programs to new computer"

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=2877885&highlight=freeware#post2877885

"Can you transer files via USB?"
    http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=180587&highlight=cable+and+transfer*

Thread: "Transferring old programs to new computer"

Might be something helpful in those.
    m

3. HerrGlock

HerrGlock Scouts Out CLM

Get cheesy computer at used computer department.
    Set up LARGE hard drive on it
    Share large hard drive to workgroup
    mount the share by all other computers in house
    no need to use up disk space on multiple computers for the same files.

DanH

4. troyboy30

troyboy30

thanks..i did a search and didn't see anything related to just transfering documents, pics, music anc video files. I never even considered trying to move my applications, I would rather just upgrade to the new versions of programs since I am moving from windows 98 to xp pro.

looks like the easiest way is to either just transfer the hardrive or use the direct cable connection feature in windows to make a direct link.

the one thing I am not sure about is how to transfer my internet bookmarks. Lord I hate to lose the thousands I have set.

5. BikerGoddess

BikerGoddess Got hairspray?

If you're using IE, there's an export feature under File. You can then import it on the other machine, after transfering it.

Laura

6. Darkmage

Darkmage

Your bookmarks will be stored on your C:\ drive in the Documents And Settings folder (and a few folders further down).

The easiest way is to do a Find on your drive for files with the ".url" extension. Use that to locate the folder with most of your bookmarks and then copy those files. When you've finished upgrading, copy the files back to the same location.

7. ronin_asano

ronin_asano

install a second hdd drive, or use a cross-over ethernet cable.

when you say 'direct cable connection' you give me the shivers thinking about a serial cable connection. don't do that, you'll be waiting the rest of your life for the transfer to complete.

8. troyboy30

troyboy30

I got the bookmarks exported....Looks like the easiest way to do the 10gig transfer of music and video would be to move the drive itself. The drive is a slave drive in the old system anyway.