close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer Stops

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Trsnrtr, Dec 7, 2006.

1. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

I've got a problem with a desktop that I've never had before. It's a dual-boot system running Suse 10.1 and capable of booting XP. The system runs 24 hours a day and I usually just walk away from it when done and let the monitor shut down by itself. A flick of the mouse brings the monitor back on and away we go.

About three days ago, the monitor wouldn't come back on after being idle for about 12 hours. I hit the reset and the system rebooted and ran fine all day. Then, after sitting over night, the same thing happened. This time, it took about 2-3 reboots to bring back the system. This morning, same thing except the system won't reset. Assuming it was an overheating problem of some kind, I let it sit for a few hours but it still won't reset. It also won't shut off. The fan is running any time it has power. You can't shut it off or reset it, only unplug it.

Any ideas? I've had video card failures, hard drive crashes, etc. over the last 15 years, but nothing like this. I've never had a system do this.

2. UtahIrishman

UtahIrishman BLR Silver Member

Sounds like the power supply. Power supplies have a capacitor that sometimes cause this kind of problem. Short term solution is to do a complete shutdown draining the capacitor. Long term solution, replace the power supply.

3. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

I'll agree, sounds like the power supply. You have a spare to swap out to see if it fixes it?

4. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

Power supply swap would be ok with me if that is what it is. I don't know yet.

I had a local shop check out the machine quick today and he got the machine to boot by pulling out the video card and using the onboard video. He's still not sure that's the problem, though, so it's going to run all night using the onboard video and see if it locks up.

5. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Never saw a video card do that. Sounds like a reasonable possibility though.

My first thought would have been power supply also, then video card.

Good luck

IGF

6. Darkmage

Darkmage

I've had problems similar to yours and I traced it back to the video card. So yes, I can see that being a problem.

Interestingly, I solved it by shutting the monitor off and leaving it off for a couple hours. It wasn't detecting the signal from the video card in its "auto-off" state. A hard power cycle of the monitor later and all was well. Weird.

7. Trsnrtr

Trsnrtr

It turned out to be a bad video card. I've never had one go out like this one, but that appears to be the problem. It's running fine now with a different card.

Dennis