close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Computer slowing down

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by sarge, Mar 7, 2010.

1. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

My mother lives about 60 miles away, and for the last couple of weeks her computer has been slowing to a drag. I have tried to help her over the phone, but I am at wits end right now.

She's running an HP that is probably 3 or 4 years old. Running XP, not sure if its' pro or home edition.

When she turns the computer on, it takes anywhere from 20 to 25 minutes for it to boot up. When she opens her email (Outlook Express) that takes anywhere from one to 3 or 4 minutes to open up. If she opens an attachment (.pdf, word, etc) that can taken anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes. She's in real estate and doesn't use the computer for anything but real estate work. I have had her D/L and run Malwarebytes, ccleaner, Spybot S&D and MS Security Essentials, and none of them have helped.

It looks like I may have to drive over there sometime in the near future, or she'll have to take it to the local shop to get checked. I'm trying to keep her from having to spend the 50 to 75 dollars they charge for cleaning it up.

Any thoughts or ideas I can work with her over the phone?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. jsjdjn

jsjdjn

Get a Mac! Really!

3. jsjdjn

jsjdjn

Not much you can do over the phone with a computer that old. To bring is back I would back up what you need to save. Then restore to the factory new state. Like it was brand new.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

Why don't you try to connect remotely and fix it?

Have her run MSCONFIG and you can talk her thru disabling unnecessary programs or like jsjdjn suggested have her backup her data and restore the system with the factory discs.

5. Linux3

Linux3

History files in I.E.
    Need to clean the registry
    Viruses and worms and trojans, Oh my.
    She most likely has not spent a lot of time securing and maintaining it. Tough to try to repair remotely because some things need to be run in safe mode.

http://securitytango.com/windows.php

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Yeah, I tried to repair remotely one time, and it was difficult... Not impossible for some things, but others its near impossible.

7. Pierre!

Pierre! NRA Life Member

Perhaps try scanning in SAFE MODE... Anything else is just a waste of time.

That just might get you something.

If that doesn't get it, hit LogMeIn and setup a new account and get control of her system. You should probably have her set it up on her side, and you dowload the LogMeIn client.

Hope that helps!

8. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably go over there later this week and see what I can do.

9. Drjones

Drjones

If it really is literally THAT slow, you're wasting your time if you do anything other than backup all her important data, wipe the drive clean and reinstall Windows from scratch.

I'll bet she's got 512MB of RAM or less......upgrade it. Her system should max out at 2GB.

If she can swing it financially, it would be a wise move to just buy a new box, depending on her needs....probably wouldn't be a total waste to spend $75 on more RAM, but again, not a bad idea to just look at a new PC.

10. sarge

sarge Millennium Member

It really was that slow.

Not sure of the specs, but I'd bet 512 mb at the most.

Either way, she decided she didn't want me to have to drive over there and make a 120 mile + round trip, so she took it to the local shop. Thanks for the help.